Navy Training Flight Down in TX

Current word is that one of them was CareFlighted to Parkland’s burn unit. Apparently the pilot came down into some power lines.

https://www.navy.mil/Press-Office/P...wk-crashes-in-lake-worth-texas-no-fatalities/

I didn't see or hear this one, but I was less than twenty miles at the time. No deaths, but sounds like the instructor and student got pretty beat up.

I was only a mile from it (Navy Reserve weekend at NAS Fort Worth) and didn’t hear anything when it happened, but the word was getting around by early afternoon. Yes, it sounds like he was burned by the power lines, but no other info yet. They must have been landing at the time, because Lake Worth is well inside the traffic pattern.

Damaged houses too, but fortunately it sounds like no one was hurt on the ground. Hoping for the best for the pilot in the hospital

Latest word this morning is critical condition.....tough to hear that report.

Probably on takeoff, as winds were from the north most of yesterday morning

Yes, one of them went into the powerlines and he actually caught on fire. A local mechanic rushed over with a fire extinguisher and put out the fire. Sounds like a lot of people jumped in to help these guys.

Here are some photos from the Facebook page, North Texas Aviators.
242381359_10227478426455110_8295065439226842353_n.jpg

241400630_10225508212960529_3526701056978389445_n.jpg

241282058_10225508213760549_7020417500939886475_n.jpg

241972324_10225508258961679_8260316141951792075_n.jpg

241389117_10225508213920553_8998420494965842515_n.jpg

Latest word this morning is critical condition.....tough to hear that report.

Probably on takeoff, as winds were from the north most of yesterday morning

Word is they were flying to Fort Worth from Corpus.

Electrical burns are mostly INSIDE the tissue. That is going to be a long stay in intensive care.

40 years working for a power company. I saw, indirectly, some terrible things. The best burn hospital in America was in Texas at one time.

Fast trip to the hospital can be important, and it seems that is what he had.

I really feel for him, too bad he hit the wires. His flight suit may have reduced the damage some.

Guessing, that he will be spending some time at Parkland and eventually be transferred down to USAISR Burn Center at Brooke Army Hospital.

Burn recovery is something that you never want to have to go through. I'm lucky that both times I've been on fire, I didn't have much damage. I have a small amount of physical scarring and the vivid recollections of being on fire, but it's nothing like the physical and mental damage anyone with more than a couple of percent burn coverage goes through.

A friend of mine's son knows the pilot who was burned. Here is the latest update.

Our son FaceTimed with the SNA today and reports him to be in great spirits and shape for a guy with 40% burns with some 3rd degree on one leg. Expected to be in hospital for 6 weeks but really good to see his smile and positive attitude.
1f44d_1f3fc.png
They’re gonna be alright.

Squadron is confirming bird strike at 700 AGL. IP pulled handle when engine cut. These things don’t have a best glide. They did what they were trained to do. And they will live to fly another day. Glad no one on the ground affected. Really good outcome all things considered.

Thanks for the update Jack. Good to hear. A couple of people on the ground got a few bumps and cuts from debris, but nothing even close to serious.

Word is they were flying to Fort Worth from Corpus.

The aviators and aircraft were from TAW 2, based at NAS Kingsville. NAS Kingsville is located about 50 road miles from NAS Corpus Christi.

A friend of mine's son knows the pilot who was burned. Here is the latest update.

Our son FaceTimed with the SNA today and reports him to be in great spirits and shape for a guy with 40% burns with some 3rd degree on one leg. Expected to be in hospital for 6 weeks but really good to see his smile and positive attitude.
1f44d_1f3fc.png

Squadron is confirming bird strike at 700 AGL. IP pulled handle when engine cut. These things don’t have a best glide. They did what they were trained to do. And they will live to fly another day. Glad no one on the ground affected. Really good outcome all things considered.

T-45 isn’t that bad of a glider. Canadian Hawk at only 240 kts and 70 ft bird strike flameout. Not gonna make the “impossible turn” but they rode it out for about 47 secs before ejecting.

Last edited:
T-45 isn’t that bad of a glider. Canadian Hawk at only 240 kts and 70 ft bird strike flameout. Not gonna make the “impossible turn” but they road it out for about 47 secs before ejecting.

Label F-16?

Cheers

The aviators and aircraft were from TAW 2, based at NAS Kingsville. NAS Kingsville is located about 50 road miles from NAS Corpus Christi.

Most likely doing "weekend ops" out of Corpus International because Kingsville closes for the weekend on Friday night (at least it used to). It was quite common to stage NAS Corpus and NAS Kingsville aircraft at KCRP during the weekends to facilitate weekend flying.

yeah, it's typical "weekend XC" ops, Usaf does the same. Return jets to home plate on a short window on Sunday afternoon, monday regular hours worst case.

Seems like you see a lot more of that kind of behavior in Texas.

just one more reason why I’m leaving western WA when I retire…many here would’ve just whipped out phones to get the next viral video…then sued for emotional distress…

just one more reason why I’m leaving western WA when I retire…many here would’ve just whipped out phones to get the next viral video…then sued for emotional distress…

To be fair, I don't know that too many folks up around here actually own fire extinguishers.....(actually they probably do out here in the sticks, but I digress)

Got a couple BC’s in the house and a sort of Class D in the garage.....

Not Texas, but have a couple of extinguishers in the garage.

1 extinguisher in each vehicle (3 vehicles), 2 in the garage and 3 in the house.

reports him to be in great spirits and shape for a guy with 40% burns with some 3rd degree on one leg. Expected to be in hospital for 6 weeks but really good to see his smile and positive attitude.
1f44d_1f3fc.png

If only some 3rd, not that bad.

Actually jets have a very good glide ratio, due to low drag. But typically best glide is pretty fast. A T-38 has a better glide ratio than a C-172.

That said, 700 feet gives little time, even in a glider.

Would’ve thrown in raised cable status at the end of that. “Pull the crash phone!” Clear them to land and get the nature of the emergency. Then go with the BS cable status. Of course in the end it didn’t matter anyway.

Wonder if the student is back on flight status?

Back