Things That Bug me in TV Shows and Movies

There was a movie (one of the Die Hard movies, I think) where the bad guys hacked the ATC computer and moved the glide slope down 400 feet so the planes would follow the glide slope into the ground. :lol: But the movie folk play on the audience not knowing anything about aviation (or anything else) to sell a story.
Also, spaceships that have to keep their engines running to maintain speed in a vacuum, and coast to a "stop" when the engines are turned off.
Spaceships that can come to a complete stop.

For the most authentic ATC on TV I recommend the first episode of "Scorpion", ATC had a problem and they needed to reload their software and the only usable copy was on planes in the air so they hooked up to a cable to a plane as it did a low pass down the runway.

I'd recommend drinking while watching but you'd probably end up with alcohol poisoning.
I use this as an example of crap computer in TV in my CS classes. And don’t forget about the secret, secure software vault in a storage yard.

On the other side, in the movie "Memphis Bell" they had a set of advisor/editors to try to keep the movie real. Those guys were all pilots, most veterans.

One crash scene, they agreed was over the top, too much flames, too long to put it out, and unrealistic wild driving by the fire trucks. The pilots got out, and stood around and watched it burn.

The producer refused to change it, explaining the crash in question resulted from multiple failures, and the crash was entirely real. The B 17 was a complete loss, but the crew had escaped OK, and watched sadly as their plane died. The fire crew had no idea there was going to be any crashes, and had not rehearsed.

Other scenes of crashes were computer generated, and more rapid in completion.

I hate it when they make an excellent movie and then use a title that means nothing to the potential audience and thus nobody watches it.

Fat Man and Little Boy

..... true story which follows the Manhattan Project, the secret development of the first nuclear weapons during World War II.
.... The film is named after "Little Boy" and "Fat Man", the two bombs dropped on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Same goes for books with dumb titles

More than my share of it all

Fascinating true story about Kelly Johnson who was the project leader on the top secret SR-71 Blackbird ... still the fastest aircraft in the world .... great book nobody bought because the stupid title meant nothing to anybody.

Same goes for books with dumb titles

More than my share of it all

Fascinating true story about Kelly Johnson who was the project leader on the top secret SR-71 Blackbird ... still the fastest aircraft in the world .... great book nobody bought because the stupid title meant nothing to anybody.

The book "Skunk Works" by Ben Rich (Kelly Johnson's successor) was an excellent book, with a much better title.

>> Best to avoid watching anything written/directed by Christopher Nolan in that case.

With the exception of his 3 Dark Knight movies.

Reminiscence with Hugh Jackson is one to avoid

Hair styles reflect the date the show was produced, rather than the date the show is set in, e.g. Westerns.

Hair styles reflect the date the show was produced, rather than the date the show is set in, e.g. Westerns.
That's really tough for films set during the mid 1800s, because no producer wants to put their female lead in greasy hair tied back with a severe centre part and covered by a bonnet.

Back