Piper J-3 cub values

Hangontight

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
South Paw
So,
I see Cubs listed on the usual sites (barnstormers, trade-a-plane, etc) for between $35-$60k but they always seem to linger a long time. Some of them are really nice, like showpiece quality. I’m potentially in the market for one, but was hopeful to find one sub $30k, nothing showpiece, just a flyer without a runout engine. Are there flying Cubs out there in the $20-30k range or is 30 the new ‘floor’ for a decent shape serviceable J-3?

or is 30 the new ‘floor’ for a decent shape serviceable J-3?
LSA breathed new life into the J3 market. Tough to find one like you want but they're just not out in public venue. Word of mouth and actively looking/asking around best route in my experience.

Last edited:
I’ve been keeping an eye on the Cub market for a few years. It seems like $30k has been the base for a flyable Cub for awhile. Add electric start, newer fabric, and price goes up.

My wife is wanting to get her sport pilot license and I’ve always wanted a Cub. Seems like a good excuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know where one could probably be had for under $25... but I'd be budgeting for a recover in 2-5 years and saving money for an engine. Those things can get expensive fast.

“Recertified to experimental in 2008”

I wonder how this was accomplished and to what category of Experimental.

Not sure. That's why I was saying "not sure if it checks all the boxes" for him. I assume the "clipped wing" mod was done via 337 like most of them, but they may have gone experimental to allow for other mods.

I never got the Cub mystique. Sure, they're great classic planes, but the other planes of the era (T-Craft, Champ, Interstate, Luscombe, etc., are better flyers and a lot less money.

At a 25k price point, I'd expect to see not only repairs needed, but also expect to have no electrical system.

Are you comfortable with hand propping?

Probably a collection of cub parts and some wag aero parts. Not uncommon, there's a few E/AB cubs running around that were built this way.

Thanks. I was just envisioning that it wasn’t easy to just switch to Experimental without serious limitations. But good to know there’s that path to E/AB.

Thanks. I was just envisioning that it wasn’t easy to just switch to Experimental without serious limitations. But good to know there’s that path to E/AB.

Cubs and rag wing pipers are extremely easy to make into E/AB. Wag Aero use to (maybe still does) sell non certified parts and plans. One could build a cub or rag wing piper totally from plans or what many have done is to use a collection of parts.

Back