Low-ish IFR departures

Jim K

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
I'm finding departing into ceilings below about 750' to be the hardest part of instrument flying. Much harder than approaches to near minimums.

Excellent imc practice day today here, so I hand flew to mto to get lunch. Went imc about 400', and got behind the airplane. I kept within acs standards, but only just. I seldom have trouble flying imc, but all the times I've gotten behind have been taking off into fairly low ceilings.

I find it much easier to fly approaches. Really not much harder than cruise, I suppose because the airplane is stable and configured. On takeoff there's more things to do in a shorter span. Maybe the transition into imc is more disorienting than I'm giving it credit for.

Is this hard for everybody? Maybe I'm worrying too much about managing my engine and dropping my scan too long. Obviously engaging the autopilot makes it easy, but I feel like I need to be able to hand fly anything I'm willing to take on with the a/p, especially considering it's older than me.

The transition into IMC gets a lot of people, particularly when you’re not expecting it.

Lots of practice and focus on scan helps.

I agree. It’s a busy time. Your prepared but…
Climbing, turning, changing frequencies, squaring power settings, trimming, ident’ing, ect. Usually getting some different instructions- a turn earlier then you thought or a different fix.

The approach everything is more planned ahead of you. Once established pretty straight shot for most part.

I agree, be prepared. I got my first takeoff into 200-300 OVC early on. I had everything set up before rolling down the runway. I had my pilot (but not instrument rated) wife along and told her to speak up quickly if she sees anything of issue.

It's the hardest for me too. My least favorite is entering IMC in a climbing turn.
Yup. I almost got bit by entering IMC in a climbing right turn while trying to capture a radial and then make a climbing left turn to the VOR.

20130111_140121.jpg

Attachments

• 20150626_122434.jpg
    20150626_122434.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 33
I too used to think it was one of the most challenging things to do in low IMC, definitely seemed more challenging than a low approach.

I did a couple of IFR flights with a very experienced Navajo owner and was surprised by how slowly and methodically he handled departures. Map and charts were carefully folded and marked (pre ForeFlight), radios setup, etc. No hurry once the engines were started. Everything redone on the ground when a change to his clearance was made. Nothing rushed, everything slowed and double checked. I felt like he had dry flown the departure before we took off.

Anyway, I try to do as he did and think thru the departure before doing so. I try to anticipate ATC’s actions and I’m willing to say “unable” if uncomfortable with changes or if I just need to fly rather than navigate or communicate. Engine management needs are automatic and limited to few if any actions both on approaches and departures.

Departures remain challenging but I try to treat them with respect and preparation. The good part is that you are generally flying away from the hardscape rather then towards it and the tanks are full. Keep it upright and headed up and I’m way ahead of the game.

Don’t run out of fuel
Avoid the terrain
Don’t pickup a package by its string

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'm finding departing into ceilings below about 750' to be the hardest part of instrument flying. Much harder than approaches to near minimums.

Excellent imc practice day today here, so I hand flew to mto to get lunch. Went imc about 400', and got behind the airplane. I kept within acs standards, but only just. I seldom have trouble flying imc, but all the times I've gotten behind have been taking off into fairly low ceilings.

I find it much easier to fly approaches. Really not much harder than cruise, I suppose because the airplane is stable and configured. On takeoff there's more things to do in a shorter span. Maybe the transition into imc is more disorienting than I'm giving it credit for.

Is this hard for everybody? Maybe I'm worrying too much about managing my engine and dropping my scan too long. Obviously engaging the autopilot makes it easy, but I feel like I need to be able to hand fly anything I'm willing to take on with the a/p, especially considering it's older than me.

Unless you are flying everyday, it does take a few minutes to get into the groove and start feeling comfortable. If you enter IMC during this time, it can be challenging and disorienting. The approach will be easier in comparison, unless you have been on a very long flight and are tired.

Anybody find it’s easier at an uncontrolled field, far away from other fields and terrain?

It seems that way to me. There’s no tower telling me to turn or change frequency. There’s nobody else on CTAF. All the airspace nearby is devoted to me, hopefully. I can just climb on runway heading, at a steady pitch, focusing on flying, without a hurry to navigate or communicate until I’m ready.

It’s because you aren’t transitioning to instruments until you are in IMC. 30-60 seconds to settle in first helps.

A good pre takeoff departure self brief will help you too. The obstacle procedure or ATC clearance is climb ####, Left/Right turn ###, contact departure, level flight ####. Transition to the instruments at 300 AGL, Then do it.

Last edited:
Definitely a high-workload time. You've got to deal with gear, flaps, power, respond to tower if called, change frequency and contact departure, etc. From an uncontrolled field, I'm usually given instructions like, "enter controlled airspace on a heading of 270", so in that case, I've got to get turned to that heading prior to reaching 700AGL. I just keep to the basics: all turns standard rate, keep the ball centered, know what heading I'm flying, and maintain my scan. Sometimes I don't even know exactly when I break out because I'm so concentrated on my scan.

@Jim K , you mention "Maybe I'm worrying too much about managing my engine"

That's possible.

Yes, entry into IMC, hand flying, after takeoff, is challenging. No doubt about it. It helps to get as set up as possible before takeoff, and it also helps to get on the instruments well before entering IMC.

But I also pretty commonly see an example of what you might mean by "managing my engine". Or similarly, doing other "secondary" stuff.

Here's what I mean. I see it all the time where someone goes to make a "cruise climb power reduction", for example, maybe reducing power to 25"/2500 rpm. They pull the throttle back to about 25". Then they reduce the rpm to about 2500 rpm. Then they notice the MP crept up to 26", so they reduce that back to 25". They then notice the rpm isn't quite at 2500, it's at about 2550. So they pull the prop control back. Oops, too far, now it's at 2450. So push it up a bit.... etc etc etc. Oh, I need to lean the mixture a bit, let's watch the EGTs... and you see where this is going. Meanwhile they're not flying the plane.

I've also seen this with other things like adjusting the heading bug or course needle so it's EXACTLY on the assigned heading/course. So, 180, not 181 or 179. Twiddle, twiddle, twiddle, meanwhile they're not flying the plane.

Note that none of that stuff really matters. Power at 26" and 2450 rpm isn't going to hurt anything. Heading on 178 instead of 180 isn't going to hurt anything. Yes, go ahead and fix those things, BUT wait until everything is more stable and the workload is lower before doing so.

Note - I do this effect more often with digital displays. Since they show an exact number for MP or rpm or heading or whatever, we try to nail exactly that number. Whereas with an analog display, since you can't get that precise, there's less tendency to do so.

This may or may not be your issue. But it's something to think about anyway.

Have you ever done instrument take offs. Take offs, not departure. You get lined up on the runway, put the hood down, push the throttle in and go. Maybe the transition from visual to instruments is a thing for you, maybe not. Maybe doing some will help somehow, maybe not. @RussR and other CFII’s, whadda ya say?

That's possible.

Yes, entry into IMC, hand flying, after takeoff, is challenging. No doubt about it. It helps to get as set up as possible before takeoff, and it also helps to get on the instruments well before entering IMC.

But I also pretty commonly see an example of what you might mean by "managing my engine". Or similarly, doing other "secondary" stuff.

Here's what I mean. I see it all the time where someone goes to make a "cruise climb power reduction", for example, maybe reducing power to 25"/2500 rpm. They pull the throttle back to about 25". Then they reduce the rpm to about 2500 rpm. Then they notice the MP crept up to 26", so they reduce that back to 25". They then notice the rpm isn't quite at 2500, it's at about 2550. So they pull the prop control back. Oops, too far, now it's at 2450. So push it up a bit.... etc etc etc. Oh, I need to lean the mixture a bit, let's watch the EGTs... and you see where this is going. Meanwhile they're not flying the plane.

I've also seen this with other things like adjusting the heading bug or course needle so it's EXACTLY on the assigned heading/course. So, 180, not 181 or 179. Twiddle, twiddle, twiddle, meanwhile they're not flying the plane.

Note that none of that stuff really matters. Power at 26" and 2450 rpm isn't going to hurt anything. Heading on 178 instead of 180 isn't going to hurt anything. Yes, go ahead and fix those things, BUT wait until everything is more stable and the workload is lower before doing so.

Note - I do this effect more often with digital displays. Since they show an exact number for MP or rpm or heading or whatever, we try to nail exactly that number. Whereas with an analog display, since you can't get that precise, there's less tendency to do so.

I’d also suggest the possibility that the problem is before that…there’s no necessity to even “rough tune” climb power, much less fine tune it, during that low-altitude transition to IMC. Leave it at takeoff power until you’re stable, and then start making changes.

not only is it a distraction from the primary job at hand, it’s changing sensory inputs from the airplane to make the aircraft control just that much more difficult.

..... and was surprised by how slowly and methodically he handled departures. Map and charts were carefully folded and marked (pre ForeFlight), radios setup, etc. No hurry once the engines were started. Everything redone on the ground when a change to his clearance was made. Nothing rushed, everything slowed and double checked. I felt like he had dry flown the departure before we took off......

might have been just his personality...his way. I'm reminded of the time years ago I was helping my father in law with a house repair project. Involved drilling a hole in an aluminum window frame. He was oh so slow in selecting just the right bit....slowly chucking it just right. Come on already coulda had the hole drilled by now....
then he slowly and carefully placed the bit, finding just the right spot...yep, right there, get on with it will ya...drug on for seemed like 20-30 minutes before he finally pulled the trigger on the variable speed drill....turning the bit at probably no more than 50 RPM! Ugh, I could have had the hole drilled. Gone to Ace for some epoxy to repair the hole I placed in the wrong spot, then re-drilled in the right spot by now!.... He was a good man...a patient perfectionist for sure, may he rest in peace.

I too used to think it was one of the most challenging things to do in low IMC, definitely seemed more challenging than a low approach.

I did a couple of IFR flights with a very experienced Navajo owner and was surprised by how slowly and methodically he handled departures. Map and charts were carefully folded and marked (pre ForeFlight), radios setup, etc. No hurry once the engines were started. Everything redone on the ground when a change to his clearance was made. Nothing rushed, everything slowed and double checked. I felt like he had dry flown the departure before we took off.

Anyway, I try to do as he did and think thru the departure before doing so. I try to anticipate ATC’s actions and I’m willing to say “unable” if uncomfortable with changes or if I just need to fly rather than navigate or communicate. Engine management needs are automatic and limited to few if any actions both on approaches and departures.

Departures remain challenging but I try to treat them with respect and preparation. The good part is that you are generally flying away from the hardscape rather then towards it and the tanks are full. Keep it upright and headed up and I’m way ahead of the game.

Don’t run out of fuel
Avoid the terrain
Don’t pickup a package by its string

Nothing in aviation ever needs to be done fast. There are situations that require prompt changes but everything should be done slowly and methodically. You don’t get extra brownie points for being fast

He was a good man...a patient perfectionist for sure, may he rest in peace.
As opposed to my grandpa, whose philosophy apparently was “there’s never time to do it right, but there’s always time to do it over.”

Resting in peace for him probably involves being the hardest-working guy in Heaven, and trading poop jokes with my wife’s great aunt. :D

From an uncontrolled field, I'm usually given instructions like, "enter controlled airspace on a heading of 270", so in that case, I've got to get turned to that heading prior to reaching 700AGL.
Um, no. That's not what that means.

might have been just his personality...his way. I'm reminded of the time years ago I was helping my father in law with a house repair project. Involved drilling a hole in an aluminum window frame. He was oh so slow in selecting just the right bit....slowly chucking it just right. Come on already coulda had the hole drilled by now....
then he slowly and carefully placed the bit, finding just the right spot...yep, right there, get on with it will ya...drug on for seemed like 20-30 minutes before he finally pulled the trigger on the variable speed drill....turning the bit at probably no more than 50 RPM! Ugh, I could have had the hole drilled. Gone to Ace for some epoxy to repair the hole I placed in the wrong spot, then re-drilled in the right spot by now!.... He was a good man...a patient perfectionist for sure, may he rest in peace.

Bless your father in law. I kind of know the type. I wonder if he would be a good aircraft homebuilder? Perhaps producing show plane material after a 10 year build, perhaps never able to finish a project, who knows?

I was thinking about the pilot I was referencing and that particular flight out of Flying W N14. The doctor and I had flown together a number of times and frankly I wish he had operated more slowly and methodically so I could figure out what the hell he was doing in this complex twin. I was still a fixed pitch, fixed gear tail dragging VFR pilot and the Navajo might as well been a 747.

We had dined at the restaurant on the airport and prepared to depart as dusk began to settle. It’s a small airport under some very busy airspace. As a clearance was received, copied, and the map prep commenced, the sky went from dusk to dark and a light snow started! I would have been in a hurry to depart with some light out and certainly before any snowy precipitation, but of course I wouldn’t have been there by myself in the first place.

He called in for a void time clearance. Instead he got an amended clearance involving multiple turns, intercepts and VORs. He declined the void time clearance and once again commenced to update his notes and refold the maps. The snow got heavier and the engines were running. At that point I more fully realized how much more I had to learn for my instrument ticket and much of it did not involve hand flying approaches. Watching him downshift his gears with the amended clearance while ignoring the worsening weather and running engines stuck with me.

Sometime later he drove me to KAVL for a night time VFR departure in my old Maule. He stood by while I did my walk around then I asked him to return to his car while I finished getting prepped for the departure. We said bye but later he told me he knew exactly why I chased him off and that it was a good move. Oh really? I’m not sure he realized that watching his snowy night departure from W14 was the lesson.

That's possible.

I definitely caught myself doing this once, which is why I brought it up. My engine analyzer is to the right of the centerline of my panel, so it's a long way away from the 6 pack. I usually run WOT and just reduce RPM, which I could probably get close enough by ear with a little practice.

I have done takeoffs under the hood, but my takeaway from that was that I'm never trying a 0/0 departure. My general rule is not to takeoff if I can't come back. I usually don't fly at all below 500' ceilings, although I have done a few solo flights for training. I try to have at least MVFR if the family is along.

I would say it's not a problem of getting on to the instruments, if anything I'm head down too much in VMC. With the long nose on the lance there's not much to see outside anyway, so I fly the airspeed and HSI for the most part. It's not the transition that's getting me I think so much as having so many tasks in a short time.

I do set up my radios and gps ahead of time, although it seems like atc always gives me a couple headings and then direct, so there's some twisting and button pushing going on. I do fall into the trap of feeling like I have to comply with ATC NOW, regardless of what else is going on.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in feeling this is the hardest part of IFR. I feel like it should've gotten a bit more attention in training.

Back in a former life, I flew out of Bakersfield and just about every takeoff was solid IMC due to fog.

Once I was lined up with the runway centerline stripe, all my attention was inside the cockpit and I was fully concentrating on the flight instruments, nav instruments and radios- in that order!

I wouldn't see a thing out the windows until the approach lights from Stockton were in sight...

It's very much like flying a simulator with no visuals. The Army taught us Zero-Zero takeoffs from the ground in helicopters and that can be a real challenge!

Definitely a high-workload time. You've got to deal with gear, flaps, power, respond to tower if called, change frequency and contact departure, etc. From an uncontrolled field, I'm usually given instructions like, "enter controlled airspace on a heading of 270", so in that case, I've got to get turned to that heading prior to reaching 700AGL. I just keep to the basics: all turns standard rate, keep the ball centered, know what heading I'm flying, and maintain my scan. Sometimes I don't even know exactly when I break out because I'm so concentrated on my scan.
If the Controller says it that way, they are wrong. This is what it is supposed to sound like. When entering, then......

WHEN ENTERING CONTROLLED AIRSPACE (instruction), FLY HEADING (degrees) UNTIL REACHING (altitude, point, or fix) BEFORE PROCEEDING ON COURSE

If the Controller says it that way, they are wrong. This is what it is supposed to sound like. When entering, then......

WHEN ENTERING CONTROLLED AIRSPACE (instruction), FLY HEADING (degrees) UNTIL REACHING (altitude, point, or fix) BEFORE PROCEEDING ON COURSE
Oh? ATC is assuming terrain/obstruction responsibility?

I'm not saying it's right or not, but I get @pburger 's wording all the time in clearances prior to departing out of my local uncontrolled field. "Enter controlled airspace heading 260".

I will say the .65Z wording and format is vague here. The instructions to fly a heading when in controlled airspace are in 4-3-2c(1)(c), but there are no examples.

The wording you use is in 4-3-2c(4), which pertains to obstruction avoidance, although the sample phraseologies don't mention anything about obstacles.

upload_2021-9-22_13-21-42.png

I'm not saying it's right or not, but I get @pburger 's wording all the time in clearances prior to departing out of my local uncontrolled field. "Enter controlled airspace heading 260".

I will say the .65Z wording and format is vague here. The instructions to fly a heading when in controlled airspace are in 4-3-2c(1)(c), but there are no examples.

The wording you use is in 4-3-2c(4), which pertains to obstruction avoidance, although the sample phraseologies don't mention anything about obstacles.

View attachment 100325
Yeah. But "enter controlled airspace heading" and "when entering controlled airspace fly heading" are different. The first one implies they are telling you, you have to make a specific turn while you are still in uncontrolled airspace. That's a fundamental no no. I think the Phraseology as written is deliberate.

Yeah. But "enter controlled airspace heading" and "when entering controlled airspace fly heading" are different. The first one implies they are telling you, you have to make a specific turn while you are still in uncontrolled airspace. That's a fundamental no no. I think the Phraseology as written is deliberate.
If there's no DVA or no radar contact, they shouldn't be giving heading instructions like that. They ought to say, "When able and after entering controlled airspace fly heading 270°."

If there's no DVA or no radar contact, they shouldn't be giving heading instructions like that. They ought to say, "When able and after entering controlled airspace fly heading 270°."
That would take some of the mystery out of it.

Try saying out loud to yourself "switching to instruments" once you're off the ground, so that it's easier for your brain to make the switch. Picture a loud "Clunk" as you pull the imaginary lever in your brain from outside-reference to instrument-reference.

Um, no. That's not what that means.

I think it does mean that, since that's the exact wording I get. I'm under a Class B shelf, just 5 miles west of the surface area, so I'm sure their intention is to get me flying away from the big boys until I can get in touch with Departure. I am fully aware that obstacle clearance is on me initially. I usually start the turn around 700 MSL (550 AGL), which keeps me clear of any towers in the area. I make the turn, call departure, keep climbing to my assigned altitude, and hope they don't leave me flying out west for too long before they turn me on course.

Try saying out loud to yourself "switching to instruments" once you're off the ground, so that it's easier for your brain to make the switch. Picture a loud "Clunk" as you pull the imaginary lever in your brain from outside-reference to instrument-reference.
And if you want to sound REALLY COOL when you do it, say “Two seconds…I’ve almost got it! Too close for VMC, switching to instruments!” ;)

never, ever leave your wing, man!

Nothing in aviation ever needs to be done fast. There are situations that require prompt changes but everything should be done slowly and methodically. You don’t get extra brownie points for being fast

InexperiencedSpottedDoctorfish-size_restricted.gif

If you ain't first you're last homey. ;) TC
HonoredLonelyEider-max-1mb.gif

With one exception. Donning an oxygen mask.

I used to fly with a retired TWA captain. He said they had ONE memory item for all emergencies. Don the mask. Every emergency, but no more than the mask.
Makes sense. You can always take it off.

I am fully aware that obstacle clearance is on me initially.
Ok, then you know, but others reading here may not, that until they tell you "radar contact" and have given you a specific vector, you are responsible for terrain/obstacle avoidance. A departure route to avoid obstacles might meander in and out of controlled airspace, so you wouldn't want to assume your first encounter with it will keep you clear. After all, by definition controlled airspace is hundreds of feet above the ground, but the pilot is the only one responsible for clearing it and thus establishing the floor of controlled airspace. So that is the first order of business, not first getting on a convenient heading to serve ATC. Of course, at some major airports more recently, they have developed DVAs (diverse vector areas) in which a heading assigned prior to takeoff is supposed to comply with obstruction clearance. Apologies if this is all old hat to you, but I'm speaking to the instrument students in the peanut gallery too. :)

In the extreme low, I'm on instruments once I do my "positive rate, gear up" routine.

Definitely something to formally brief and visualize prior to departure if it's not something you're doing frequently (as opposed to, say, a part 121 pilot who is flying in a wide range of conditions on a weekly basis). It helps to make sure you're well-versed in how to handle the airplane from takeoff to cruise as well. As you pointed out, it's a busy time between cleaning up the airplane, managing the climb, checking in with ATC, complying with initial departure instructions, ident, etc. The stick and rudder portion of flying the airplane needs to be a low-bandwidth task, or, by definition, some of the tasks are going to suffer.

I've launched into 200-300 overcast a number of times from my home airport (and nowhere else, thus far...it's just panned out that way). I absolutely pay attention to it and remind myself that the initial climb out is going to be 100% on the gauges.

I took off in a 300’ OVC a week or so back. Was pretty careful about it in terms of pre-planning and anticipating the disorientation, but it was still very dramatic - big time so somatogravic illusion, and really wanted to roll the plane to the right. But... trust your instruments. Good reminder.

My first actual after getting my rating was a 150-foot ceiling and I repeated the ILS until the ceiling came up to allow me to land.

Certainly attention-getting.

As I climbed into the muck I will never forget the feeling. This wasn’t foggles.

We had contract instructors for ground school and sims in the TA-4J and they were sources of some really great knowledge. They were all VN era retired Navy/Marine Aviators or USAF pilots and had been around the block a time or two.

1) What's the worst thing that can happen in the jet? You blow up and are dead, in which case there is nothing else to worry about. Everything else you think about before you act. The boldface emergency items* are important but they don't have to happen instantly. They just have to happen. Take the time to make sure you've diagnosed the problem right first. In the tinker toy fighter there were very few things to go wrong but later in a complex fleet plane there were lots of complex emergencies that if you diagnosed them wrong led to worse problems.

2) Other good advice was pick a system in your fleet plane, something from the airframe like hydraulics or a weapon like HARM and become an absolute expert in it and be the "go to guy" for questions that go beyond the basic manual. It was a piece of solid advice.

*boldface in NATOPS are the memory action items before you reach for your written checklists.

There are exceptions to everything. Engine failure in a single engine helicopter requires a very rapid response. In the R22 wait 20 seconds and you die. Correcting drift in taildragger touchdown must be faster than that by a bunch. Depending on the drift, probably less than a second.

Yeah, most things need to be done methodically, particularly in airplanes at altitude.

Last edited:
Back