Ordered new Tecnam P2010

Congrats!!!
Great looking plane!!

About $500k new with the few extras I added...
I'll be looking forward to hearing your stories about flying your new plane. I read a story where the P2010 is the newest 4-seat, high wing, single-engine plane certified by the FAA. The first since Cessna 177 Cardinal!

I'm just curious about why you selected the P2010 over a 182. Cruises about the same, way less range, way less useful load, and much longer takeoff roll. Even the 172 beats the range by 110nm. Not knocking your plane, it's a beautiful design, just curious! I'm using numbers directly from Textron and Tecnam.

The 182 starts at about $500K. 915nm Range, Max Cruise 145kts, Useful Load 1110lbs, Takeoff Roll 795'
The 172 starts at about $369K. 640nm Range, Max Cruise 124kts, Useful Load 878, Takeoff Roll 960'
The P2010 215hp you are spending $500k. 530nm Range, Max Cruise 140kts, Useful Load 860lbs, Takeoff Roll 1060'

A similarity equiped new 182 was $609k and nine months out. New 172 was $535k and 13 months out.

I wanted high performance but couldn't get the bank to fund the 182 with 20% down. I didn't have enough cash to make up the difference.

The Tecnam P2010 215 HP useful load and range fill within my mission needs, and budget.

A similarity equiped new 182 was $609k and nine months out. New 172 was $535k and 13 months out.

I wanted high performance but couldn't get the bank to fund the 182 with 20% down. I didn't have enough cash to make up the difference.

The Tecnam P2010 215 HP useful load and range fill within my mission needs, and budget.
Nice. Looks like a great plane, thanks for the explanation!

Sat in one at KOSH, super nice plane. Congrats!

What is your new tail number?

While I'm waiting for my plane...

I just ordered Garmin G1000 NXi Phase II simulator (software on USB) to start practicing...

Also, building High Performance time in an old 182J hoping it will reduce my new insurance cost.

And also keeping current with legacy G1000 in a 172.

I'll be looking forward to hearing your stories about flying your new plane. I read a story where the P2010 is the newest 4-seat, high wing, single-engine plane certified by the FAA. The first since Cessna 177 Cardinal!

I'm just curious about why you selected the P2010 over a 182. Cruises about the same, way less range, way less useful load, and much longer takeoff roll. Even the 172 beats the range by 110nm. Not knocking your plane, it's a beautiful design, just curious! I'm using numbers directly from Textron and Tecnam.

The 182 starts at about $500K. 915nm Range, Max Cruise 145kts, Useful Load 1110lbs, Takeoff Roll 795'
The 172 starts at about $369K. 640nm Range, Max Cruise 124kts, Useful Load 878, Takeoff Roll 960'
The P2010 215hp you are spending $500k. 530nm Range, Max Cruise 140kts, Useful Load 860lbs, Takeoff Roll 1060'
By the way, Tecnam hopes to increase the take off weight by 89 pounds when the diesel engine is approved in the U.S. (or soon thereafter).

That's a nice looking plane...also nice that is has a common engine. Weight/HP specs look very similar to an Archer, but this has way less drag and two more doors. Oh, and the wing is too high. :)

@Scott Edson

On the off chance Tecnam gets the Jet-A certified before your plane is built or delivered. Any chance you might switch?

Tim

@Scott Edson

On the off chance Tecnam gets the Jet-A certified before your plane is built or delivered. Any chance you might switch?

Tim
Good question! The diesel adds 89 pounds and $17k increase in price. I would consider it if they increased the take off weight (like they did the Diamond DA40 NG).

So we'll see..

While I'm waiting for my plane...

I just ordered Garmin G1000 NXi Phase II simulator (software on USB) to start practicing...

Also, building High Performance time in an old 182J hoping it will reduce my new insurance cost.

And also keeping current with legacy G1000 in a 172.

i did my IR in a DA-40NG with the G1000-NXi. Its a great setup. Incredibly capable. Learn it well and it’ll save you lots of work flying IFR.

Still waiting on an update from my dealer, but at the time I signed the contract delivery was scheduled for November, just five weeks away now! I take delivery in Sebring, FL, and need to fly the airplane back to Fullerton, CA. KSEF -> KFUL is about 2000 miles so I'm planning to do it in three days. I am seeking advice on my flight planning for those of you that like that kind of thing. I'm planning VFR day flights only, but may end up hiring a CFII to join me for some instrument training. Lots of MOAs and in most cases I will be above them, for those that I can't, I plan to skirt the border or simply cross, and in all cases I''ll ask ATC if they are "hot."

My current plan is depart KSEF, then KFPY KTLH 54J KNSE KMOB KBTR 5R8 KGTU KPEQ KELP KCGZ KGYR 10AZ KBNG and arrive KFUL.

Here is my DAY 1 plan:

Leg 1 depart 0800 KSEF KFPY KTLH 240nm 28g 1h55m

Fuel Food Bathroom

Leg 2 depart Noon KTLH 54J KNSE KMOB KBTR 354nm 41g 3h00m DAY 1 total = 594nm

Hanger plane at SIGNATURE

Your thoughts? I'll post Day 2 after some discussion...

Thanks

Brand new airplane, assembled after a cross ocean voyage? I'd fly it around for about an hour or so, near the airport, before taking it on even a short cross country. Check how if flies in slow flight, stalls, turns, etc., before bringing it in to land. Check the fuel burn, oil level, all that stuff before heading out. Partly for safety, but partly so you know you have a happy airplane before you leave the area where they put it together.

Brand new airplane, assembled after a cross ocean voyage? I'd fly it around for about an hour or so, near the airport, before taking it on even a short cross country. Check how if flies in slow flight, stalls, turns, etc., before bringing it in to land. Check the fuel burn, oil level, all that stuff before heading out. Partly for safety, but partly so you know you have a happy airplane before you leave the area where they put it together.

Absolutely will! I will spend a day with Tecnam introducing me to the plane and a few hours of flight before I start the long journey. I also asked for a completed POH/Aircraft Flight Manual (of any recent similar sold plane) be sent to me as soon as possible to study... There is a PDF (3 files) but a lot of printing and remove and insert pages so I'm hoping for a simple complete printed manual.

I recommend flight following to get through the panhandle. Otherwise it’s going to be hard to stay out of moa and restricted areas.

I’d also consider SSO TUS KAVQ as an alternative to KCGZ KGYR, but that’s largely due to my hatred of KCGZ.

I did X05 to KTUS last year in three days in a bit of a faster plane. Could have done it in two without my wife’s bladder stops.

Weather could make it take longer. Play it safe.

I know a few CFIs in the Tampa area that might be interested in the trip. If you need somebody drop me a line.

@Scott Edson

Sounds like an awesome trip to do. Since a lot of the flying back will be in cruise does not let you really get familiar with the plane; I would seriously consider restricting your flying to pretty much VMC unless just crossing layers.

Tim

Big time congratulations. I never had the sort of material success that would empower me to consider a new airplane that I didn't cobble together my own self. Glad to hear others have. Gorgeous airplane. I am somewhat partial to things Italian, my bike was built in Milan. I hope you have lots of wonderful adventures with your new acquisition.

If you have to reach back 6 years for the incident that scares you I think it really isn't that big a concern.
Most people don't fly through MOA's in the panhandle, and even fewer without flight following. If you haven't flown through the panhandle, then you probably don't understand the situation sufficiently. There is a LOT of fighter/attack jet activity there.

The bottom line is if you are in an MOA you have NO control over a collision. You will be dead before you even know there is a problem. You're hoping everybody else avoids you, which, as you suggest, they are very likely to. But you will have no control over your situation if they don't. See and avoid doesn't work when the other aircraft is going 600 knots.

Last edited:
Most people don't fly through MOA's in the panhandle, and even fewer without flight following. If you haven't flown through the panhandle, then you probably don't understand the situation sufficiently. There is a LOT of fighter/attack jet activity there.

That is a reasonable point. The MOAs here are for the local National Guard units, and are mostly pretty quiet.

The bottom line is if you are in an MOA you have NO control over a collision. You will be dead before you even know there is a problem. You're hoping everybody else avoids you, which, as you suggest, they are very likely to. But you will have no control over your situation if they don't. See and avoid doesn't work when the other aircraft isn't on ADSB and is going 600 knots.

Sort of a big general worry if our military can't avoid slow moving civilian aircraft. Were I a foreign power I'd fill the skies with cheap aircraft and pilots. One of our multimillion dollar airplanes runs into one and the big loss is ours.

I recommend flight following to get through the panhandle. Otherwise it’s going to be hard to stay out of moa and restricted areas.

I’d also consider SSO TUS KAVQ as an alternative to KCGZ KGYR, but that’s largely due to my hatred of KCGZ.

I did X05 to KTUS last year in three days in a bit of a faster plane. Could have done it in two without my wife’s bladder stops.

Weather could make it take longer. Play it safe.

I know a few CFIs in the Tampa area that might be interested in the trip. If you need somebody drop me a line.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll look at the Tucson area. Appreciate offer on CFI contacts!

Leg 2 depart Noon KTLH 54J KNSE KMOB KBTR 354nm 41g 3h00m DAY 1 total = 594nm

Wouldn't hurt to add KCEW (or CEW) after 54J just to give you some space from the very busy North South corridor to Eglin and Destin.

Strongly recommend getting Flight Following through the entire panhandle of Florida and even into Alabama due to the high volume of fast moving (and slow moving) military traffic in the area including brand new student pilots.

Wouldn't hurt to add KCEW (or CEW) after 54J just to give you some space from the very busy North South corridor to Eglin and Destin.

Strongly recommend getting Flight Following through the entire panhandle of Florida and even into Alabama due to the high volume of fast moving (and slow moving) military traffic in the area including brand new student pilots.
Thanks! And I plan to file flight plans and obtain flight following all the way...

I don't hate Casa Grande, but I would strongly recommend becoming familiar with "the stack" before flying within maybe 30 nm of KCGZ. You'll want to understand the CTAF calls made by all of the instrument practice approaches and be ready to work your way into busy traffic flying both the regular pattern and straight-in instrument approaches, including those with a tailwind who may go missed or circle to land.

@steingar

I am less concerned about possible midair collision since the odds are very low. Instead I am more concerned about what flying through an active MOA without permission does to the military. In most cases, unidentified aircraft in a MOA will at best require a change to the training mission such as a new higher floor, or potentially cause the training session to be canceled; and happens much more often than most of us are aware. Canceled training is not something that is just rescheduled for an hour later. There are way to many assets involved in most training sessions, to just restart it. This hurts the military by not getting the training they need, and also tends to waste taxpayer money. Both things I object too, especially when the cost is usually just a few minutes deviation for the pilot to do something they want too, called flying.

Tim

@steingar

I am less concerned about possible midair collision since the odds are very low. Instead I am more concerned about what flying through an active MOA without permission does to the military. In most cases, unidentified aircraft in a MOA will at best require a change to the training mission such as a new higher floor, or potentially cause the training session to be canceled; and happens much more often than most of us are aware. Canceled training is not something that is just rescheduled for an hour later. There are way to many assets involved in most training sessions, to just restart it. This hurts the military by not getting the training they need, and also tends to waste taxpayer money. Both things I object too, especially when the cost is usually just a few minutes deviation for the pilot to do something they want too, called flying.

Tim
I think about this as well, but I think if all a hostile power has to do is put some Cessnas in the air and we can't operate, we have big problems.

Any flight plan that includes a stop at Signature is flawed IMO :D

When I do that flight, it's basically Interstate 10 to San Bernardino, then the 215/91 to Fullerton. When I have an hour of fuel left, or detect imminent squirming, Direct nearest podunk airport with tangs on the sectional. Fuel, Pee, Resume.

I think about this as well, but I think if all a hostile power has to do is put some Cessnas in the air and we can't operate, we have big problems.

Not a question of being able to operate, it is a question of safety.

Tim

The bottom line is if you are in an MOA you have NO control over a collision. You will be dead before you even know there is a problem. You're hoping everybody else avoids you, which, as you suggest, they are very likely to. But you will have no control over your situation if they don't. See and avoid doesn't work when the other aircraft is going 600 knots.
Well that Moncks accident happened outside an MOA, in class E, 3 miles from the departed runway, so you can go ahead and worry about this every time you take off. (and maybe worry a bit more in the MOA if you like) :)

Well that Moncks accident happened outside an MOA, in class E, 3 miles from the departed runway, so you can go ahead and worry about this every time you take off. (and maybe worry a bit more in the MOA if you like) :)
Despite happening with radar advisories and outside an MOA, it does stand for the proposition that a fighter can crash straight through a Cessna without seeing it and the Cessna is the less survivable side of the meeting.

Another congrats on the new plane, super nice. I have an IO-390 in my Commander 112, been running just fine.

Don’t be letting the plane sit idle for longer periods, though the CA climate should help. I like to fly mine inside every two weeks, usually weekly.

No sense arguing about MOA’s. I did the Grand Canyon & Apalachicola, FL the last few years, lots of military airspace, no problems. I normally avoid if hot, may take a small slice at times.

I’d just get ideas on the route back to CA, but stay flexible. With the flight apps & ADS feeds, one can easily adjust on the fly with stops.

I definitely have some interior envy, this is what I imagined the inside of an airplane might look like before I started flight training and got the rude awakening that most of the fleet is more like the Harry Potter flying car vintage.

upload_2021-9-28_20-57-2.png

vs this:

upload_2021-9-28_20-58-40.png

Last edited:
KCGZ, KAVQ, KRYN, man those take me back ages.
If you need food i would not go to KCGZ, unless they build a restaurant in the last 10 years there isn't much food apart for some cinnamon rolls from time to time.
The only places i got food in the Phoenix/Tucson area are KRYN and KIWA. Didn't have spare time during the flight training to stop and have lunch.

I have about 60 hours on the P2010 and its nice plane.
Sometimes a bit fragile, could have done with better usefull load and better flaps. At our base 600m grass you can't take off at MTOW.
The io360 with vp and ap was nose heavy so we needed 20kg of ballast in the hold when just flying around for fun to keep the cg inside the forward limit. Think the io390 will need more ballast.

Thanks will keep that in mind. Because the Elgin B MOA is 1000 AGL to 17,999 MSL I planned to fly just inside the MOA, just north of the Restricted area north border... Figure I'm safer on the edges.

Back