iPad Cooling

Not sure I want to rake leaves out of my plane after a flight. :)

I'm wondering how I could make them fit with a RAM mount. I definitely need something.

My ipad doesn't get hot.
What am I missing?

Mine didn’t either until a couple of recent flights, and I was keeping it out of direct sunlight. But the cabin was pretty hot before departure (probably a little over 100F) and that seems to have been enough.

My I pad pro is the most useless POS. I land somewhere, land and have a bite or refuel (on a hot day) by the time I start back up, it has overheated and shut down. No EFB.
What a piece of crap. It has done it over and over again. Even if I take it off the mount and put it on the floor.

My I pad pro is the most useless POS. I land somewhere, land and have a bite or refuel (on a hot day) by the time I start back up, it has overheated and shut down. No EFB.
What a piece of crap. It has done it over and over again. Even if I take it off the mount and put it on the floor.

Have you tried carrying it into the restaurant with you, rather than leaving it in the hot plane?

My iPad Pro is temperamental, but awesome. It gives me the screen size my eyes require and the nits to defeat the sunlight coming through the canopies of the RV's I fly. I remove my super-cool (but not thermally cool) leather case when I use it in flight, and I mount it in front of a vent. ForeFlight is kind enough to remind me if I forget to do either of those two and it starts to get too hot. If I land and am doing anything more than putting in 10 gallons of gas, it goes with me or gets shut down and put in a side pocket.

Do I wish it was more "set it and forget it" like the panel mounted electronics? Sure, but then again, it is hard to get pictures of seared beef covered in pesto and onions to display on a G5. Compromises.

Last edited:

I have had problems with my iPad overheating also. Look down and the screen is black. :( That very reason is a good advertisement for dedicated aviation units like an iFly (I have heard good things about those) or a Garmin Aera. They are designed for operating in an airplane. I have an old portable Garmin 196 that I have had for years. It has never overheated and shut down.

I always carry a backup IPad. When one overheats, I swap IPads and place the hot one in front of the floor air vent. In five minutes, I can switch IPads again.

I always carry a backup IPad. When one overheats, I swap IPads and place the hot one in front of the floor air vent. In five minutes, I can switch IPads again.

Yeah, I carry a backup pad plus I have FltPlan Go on my phone, but that’s a pretty crude bandaid and I’d like to solve the real problem.

Back