Student training No Medical

Nato`n

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
NateEsq.
I'm probably going to have FAA issues. Is there anything I have to disclose to be a student, like dui history? I'm wondering if I can do all the non-solo training as a student pilot including instrument training without a medical? I'm going to have issues with medical, and will go the sport pilot route. I would like to learn as much as possible about instruments for a safety measure, but will not pursue a medical for a few years.

I'm probably going to have FAA issues. Is there anything I have to disclose to be a student, like dui history? I'm wondering if I can do all the non-solo training as a student pilot including instrument training without a medical? I'm going to have issues with medical, and will go the sport pilot route. I would like to learn as much as possible about instruments for a safety measure, but will not pursue a medical for a few years.

You can do Sport Pilot without an FAA medical if and only if you have a valid US driver's license. You haven't lost your license due to DUIs, have you?

You can get as much instrument training with a Sport ticket as you'd like and as an instructor is willing to provide. You just can't get an instrument rating. But more training is always a good thing, even if it doesn't lead to a rating.

I do have a valid DL and my issues are several from years ago. I just don't want to disclose anything yet, as a student.

I don't have a place lined up yet, but I'm looking. I won't be buying one for a while, but Sarasota has a lsa for rent.

I do have a valid DL and my issues are several from years ago. I just don't want to disclose anything yet, as a student.
You clearly don't understand how POA works. Usually people come here and post how they got a hang nail in the third grade and the doctor put them on ADHD medication for two weeks, but they totally forgot about that until filling out a 3rd class medical form. But they've already submitted the form and are looking for advice.

As stated above, you can pursue your light sport ticket and get as much training as you'd like.

Instrument training will definitely make you a better pilot, but what's the motivation if you can't actually file an IFR flight plan?

As aftCG pointed out, it's refreshing to see someone who's honest about the past AND hasn't hurt themselves by going down the wrong path already.

To echo what others have said, no reason to disclose anything if you're going sport pilot, are sober, and have a valid DL. If school or instructor asks, just say "I'm in good health now, but may have some problems with an FAA medical, and I really don't want to talk about that." If they press, just repeat that sentence. I say that because it seems reasonable that someone may want to ask if you're healthy enough to fly before they let your fly solo light sport. Not because it's an FAA reg, but because they're concerned about your safety and also their aircraft.

Light sport is a lot of fun, I started that way myself for different reasons. Good luck!

As others have said above, if you're flying under sport pilot rules, you only need your driver's license.

Different advice, if you don't want to pursue the medical because you don't want to have to stop drinking, then you should think about what that means. Alcohol and flying are not compatible.

As aftCG pointed out, it's refreshing to see someone who's honest about the past AND hasn't hurt themselves by going down the wrong path already.

To echo what others have said, no reason to disclose anything if you're going sport pilot, are sober, and have a valid DL. If school or instructor asks, just say "I'm in good health now, but may have some problems with an FAA medical, and I really don't want to talk about that." If they press, just repeat that sentence. I say that because it seems reasonable that someone may want to ask if you're healthy enough to fly before they let your fly solo light sport. Not because it's an FAA reg, but because they're concerned about your safety and also their aircraft.

Light sport is a lot of fun, I started that way myself for different reasons. Good luck!
It's possible that his concern may only be disclosing to the FAA, not his CFI. He didn't really specify.

If you don't apply for a medical, the only time you will have to disclose to the FAA is if you get a "motor vehicle action" involving drugs or alcohol. See 14 CFR 61.15 paragraphs (c) and (e).

Also, under paragraph (d), your application for a pilot certificate can be denied if you have had that type of motor vehicle action within the past three years. (I believe the FAA can get this information from your driving record.)

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-61/subpart-A/section-61.15

Last edited:
I've been sober 14 1/2 but who's counting lol, plus I was given 2 minor psych meds for anxiety for several years. I'd rather go with sport pilot, don't want ifr cert, just wanted to learn the instruments "just in case", also who knows, in the future I may decide to risk the denial. I would like to take all the training I can in a "real" plane, because, why not.

I think instrument training is a fine idea. I'm instrument rated, and I have accidentally entered clouds more than once while flying VFR. Also, on a night VFR flight, I got into an unusual attitude while fiddling with the avionics, and when I looked up, my mind could NOT make sense of what I was seeing out the window. My instrument training made it easy to recover from those situations.

I think instrument training is a fine idea. I'm instrument rated, and I have accidentally entered clouds more than once while flying VFR. Also, on a night VFR flight, I got into an unusual attitude while fiddling with the avionics, and when I looked up, my mind could NOT make sense of what I was seeing out the window. My instrument training made it easy to recover from those situations.

That's exactly why I want to learn instruments. I don't plan on flying at night, but ya never know what kind of weather or disorienting situations pop up. No I've been learning about power glider cert, with that I can fly under night vfr too.

To clarify you never need to disclose your DUI to your flight school. Its only on the medical application, which we never see. If its embarrassment then you should have no concern. If you're worried about denial that doesn't change with time. And you can still receive training if you are denied. Not sure what you may be waiting for as you will have to disclose it as some point.

You can do almost all of your training with a "regular" CFI in a "regular" plane / Skyhawk. You just need to find a Sport Plane to do your solo work, and to do your check ride. Finding a Sport Plane to rent is going to be hard, as will finding a Sport CFI. Start looking hard now.

I've been sober 14 1/2 but who's counting lol, plus I was given 2 minor psych meds for anxiety for several years. I'd rather go with sport pilot, don't want ifr cert, just wanted to learn the instruments "just in case", also who knows, in the future I may decide to risk the denial. I would like to take all the training I can in a "real" plane, because, why not.

if you want to risk the denial in the future, don’t risk it. Do a consult with an AME first. Understand your situation and what testing is needed, then do the testing before your medical and make sure you pass. Or, if you’re headed for HIMS, you at least know it.

I get that explanation. As to "why not", I chose to go light sport first, though, because I was already learning in a tailwheel light sport aircraft, because I wanted to learn how to fly that first. The not a real airplane sentiment is common, but I don't think LSA is measurably easier, or less fun. It's just different. Lighter wing loading makes a lot of things easier, for example, but not so much landing in gusts or crosswinds, or dealing with light wind shear.

Not necessary.
Technically true. But in reality - you need a CFI who can check you out in an LSA for solo. Almost all CFIs have never set foot in an LSA. Some are even hostile to the idea.

Thus the rare CFI who will fly in an LSA or a Sport CFI is needed.

Technically true. But in reality - you need a CFI who can check you out in an LSA for solo. Almost all CFIs have never set foot in an LSA. Some are even hostile to the idea.

Surprised to hear that. Champs, Cubs, etc. have been around for, like, 80 years. Why hostile?

Location dependent. In central Florida there are many CFIs who will fly LSAs. Heck, I used a half dozen of ‘em myself.

What was a challenge, though, was finding a DPE to do a PPL checkride in a Tecnam light sport.

Good add on location dependent. As far as hostility - I don’t understand it, it’s not warranted, but exists

Suggest OP go to web site SportPilotTalk.Com - a great resource. And you can also see the difficulties people face finding an LSA to rent and a Sport friendly CFI and DPE.

I tried the sport route first when I lived in Louisville. It took 2 flight schools to find 1 CFI who would take my money for flight training in a Skyhawk for a Sport License. One school actually said “we don’t train in those little planes - we only train PPL”. No LSA for rent in all of Louisville. I would have to drive 1 1/2 hours to Lexington to rent one. And then work with a new CFI.

So I gave up and went Private

Last edited:
Good add on location dependent. As far as hostility - I don’t understand it, it’s not warranted, but exists

Suggest OP go to web site SportPilotTalk.Com - a great resource. And you can also see the difficulties people face finding an LSA to rent and a Sport friendly CFI and DPE.

I tried the sport route first when I lived in Louisville. It took 2 flight schools to find 1 CFI who would take my money for flight training in a Skyhawk for a Sport License. One school actually said “we don’t train in those little planes - we only train PPL”. No LSA for rent in all of Louisville. I would have to drive 1 1/2 hours to Lexington to rent one. And then work with a new CFI.

So I gave up and went Private

This is where I trained for both Sport and Private:
https://www.firstlandings.com/

They made Sport Pilot their specialty and found a decent niche market. Last I knew, they had trained almost 25% of all US sport pilots. But they also do Private, multi, commercial, etc.

I don't think I've met a CFI that was openly hostile to sport pilot. I have met CFI's that couldn't fly tailwheel - really because they didn't need to, they were headed to other things. And, I've me CFI's that fly tailwheel really well, but won't instruct in it, mostly because they don't want the assumed or actual additional risk of having a student ground loop or nose them over. All that said, there are CFI's that will do it.

As others have noted, it depends on the location. My club has 18 CFIs who are listed as teaching in our Skycatchers.

As others have noted, it depends on the location. My club has 18 CFIs who are listed as teaching in our Skycatchers.
Good to hear there are some LSA friendly places.

I've heard of CFI hostility towards LSA on the internet, but never in real life.

I've heard of CFI hostility towards LSA on the internet, but never in real life.
It still befuddles me even though it was 4 years ago. I was standing right in front of the school owner, asking to take lessons in his Skyhawks to work toward a Sport License. Would not do it because he “didn’t teach people to fly little airplanes”. Second flight school reluctantly would take my money - but tried to talk me out of it, telling me those little planes couldn’t fly from a C or D airport, could only fly 50 miles from my home airport, etc. (He was wrong of course).

There may be another reason, too. Maybe instead of "I don't teach people to fly little airplanes", he meant to say "I'm too fat to fly light sport without making the plane over gross"? :)

I have heard and seen the first hand. Couple years ago at 4 different school in 2 different states. all the schools has LSA planes and when I asked about training they asked why I would want to ever do that and have those limitations. When I stated that I am unable to to get a medical they seemed to tune me out and not listen nor really answer my questions. recently a CFI was talking to a potential student as they were asking about the differences between the Private and Sport and stated that Sport was kinda useless with the restrictions placed on them. I would think that would be a decision for the student based upon their own mission, not everyone is striving to go to the airlines.

Reactions: WDD
I have heard and seen the first hand. Couple years ago at 4 different school in 2 different states. all the schools has LSA planes and when I asked about training they asked why I would want to ever do that and have those limitations. When I stated that I am unable to to get a medical they seemed to tune me out and not listen nor really answer my questions. recently a CFI was talking to a potential student as they were asking about the differences between the Private and Sport and stated that Sport was kinda useless with the restrictions placed on them. I would think that would be a decision for the student based upon their own mission, not everyone is striving to go to the airlines.
"Useless" is just someone's opinion. I flew an LSA all the way from the San Francisco area to the Canadian border (but not across it!) when I was exercising sport pilot privileges. Sure, the limitations were annoying sometimes, but that didn't stop me from going places and having a lot of fun!

recently a CFI was talking to a potential student as they were asking about the differences between the Private and Sport and stated that Sport was kinda useless
because he/she didn't have an LSA to rent to them and, thus, couldn't make any money off someone interested in a sport pilot certificate.

Contact AMAS in Colorado and pay for a consultation. Based on what you posted I don’t think you will have a issue getting a Third class medical.

There’s no end to what people will find to be bigots about.

Back