Safety Cable replacing Safety Wire

schmookeeg

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Mike Brannigan
I keep reading conflicting accounts on this.

There is the Safe-T-Cable product by Daniels at https://www.dmctools.com/products/safe-t-cable/

It's insane, it's expensive, but I hate safety wire with a passion (mainly because I suck at it, and do not do it frequently enough to gain proficiency), and would quickly drop a grand on the tool, cables, and ferrules to never futz with the stuff again. I would also stop carrying hands that look self-harmed for several months out of the year. (current stripes atop my hand courtesy of re-wiring something on my oil cooler while on the tiedown line -- via the cowl flap door under the cowling :mad:)

I can't tell if safety cable is FAA approved.

I don't want to send a note to my FSDO to get embroiled in a conversation about it and open the door to "well what else have you been contemplating?" But I may be headed there anyway.

Before I open THAT door, thoughts? I have seen anecdata about it being incorporated into NASM33540 for military stuff. I don't see how that helps me on the GA side though.

I would have preferred to be "second" to this new hotness and benefit from price reduction, but, well, I ain't waiting that long. :D

Appreciate any guidance for this lazy A&P

What happens when you can't fit the tool into the area needing the lock? Which is really the only time safety wire is difficult.

It has been around a while.

Somehow NASA passed on this and safety wired some items.

What happens when you can't fit the tool into the area needing the lock? Which is really the only time safety wire is difficult.

As opposed to being able to fit safety wire pliers into a space with enough clearance for it to twirl?

My thinking is this is in-between the current pliers and those little "manual twisters" for space requirement and convenience.

Given that I am usually a "three tries to get it right" dude wielding the spinny pliers, there is a significant time and quality boost that comes along as well.

Lycoming used safety cable on my new engine. I hated cutting it off and using safety wire but tooling for cable was too expensive for a private guy. It sure looks good.

Can't tell you about 'FAA approved' but it was also used on my new Lycoming and we used it on several EX/R&D airplanes inspected and approved by the FAA. Our mechs loved it.

Nauga,
twisted

It's not something that needs FAA approval. Falls under Part 43.13 performance rules, i.e., "shall use the tools, equipment, and test apparatus necessary to assure completion of the work in accordance with accepted industry practices." Safety cable or similar systems have been around for years and are used by many aviation OEMs. But unless you are safetying stuff 8hrs a day/ 5 days a week not really worth the money. Personally I don't care for it. It's a PITA to remove especially in tight areas and those ferrules tend to disappear once you do cut them. But I guess it does have its place. Like anything practice makes perfect and I've been using standard SS wire, duck bills, and dykes for many years. But I do feel your pain.

There is the Safe-T-Cable product by Daniels at https://www.dmctools.com/products/safe-t-cable/
I presume you've read the "Standards and Approvals" section of the web page you posted.

The FAA Approved Manual (supplied by the OEM) on the specific aircraft (or subsystem) will advise the operator/maintainer if Safe-T-Cable™ is approved by the OEM on that aircraft/application. If it cannot be determined from this, or other documentation, the operator/maintainer should contact the OEM assigned representative, and request information concerning the use of Safe-T-Cable™ on that aircraft or subsystem.

So the FSDO wouldn't have to get involved in this, if it's approved by the OEM. Unfortunately, it's probable that a typical OEM will just say "no" out of caution.

Note the listing also references 43.13. I suspect there wouldn't be a problem, in Part 91.

Note that the US Military section of the same page states that it's included in NASM 33540.

Ron Wanttaja

FYI: perhaps get yourself a safety wire twister and a good set of safety wire pliers like Milbar before spending the big bucks on the safety cable system. Cheap pliers can turn an easy job into a hard job. While 95% of the safetying I do is by hand and duck bills, I do have a set of Milbars and several length wire twisters like the link below for the other 5%.
https://aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?id=134S&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

My advice is to take a little time and learn how to use safety wire. I prefer to hand safety as much as possible instead of using the twister. I am certain you will achieve good results with a little practice. Good luck...and buy good bandaids .
:)

I presume you've read the "Standards and Approvals" section of the web page you posted.

The FAA Approved Manual (supplied by the OEM) on the specific aircraft (or subsystem) will advise the operator/maintainer if Safe-T-Cable™ is approved by the OEM on that aircraft/application. If it cannot be determined from this, or other documentation, the operator/maintainer should contact the OEM assigned representative, and request information concerning the use of Safe-T-Cable™ on that aircraft or subsystem.

So the FSDO wouldn't have to get involved in this, if it's approved by the OEM. Unfortunately, it's probable that a typical OEM will just say "no" out of caution.

Note the listing also references 43.13. I suspect there wouldn't be a problem, in Part 91.

Note that the US Military section of the same page states that it's included in NASM 33540.

Ron Wanttaja

I did. Like you, I presume without a large financial incentive to spur action, Textron-Beech will not be forthcoming with documentation, encouragement, and approvals. I suppose I could knock on their door anyway just to get the horse's laugh out of them. Then when they answer with "No", am I then barred from using safety cable on a Beechcraft aircraft?

I'm also sort of surprised that NASM 33540 is a paid document that also requires a friendship fee to view.

I see it used on the Gulfstream G450 I take care of but as for my little Grumman its safety wire but I am cheap and I spent the first 15 years of my career on helicopters so I can do it upside down with a mirror. The only place I see safety wire on most planes is the prop and some on the engine. the prop is .041 wire so its a bit of a pain.

am I then barred from using safety cable on a Beechcraft aircraft?
No. As I mentioned there is no approval requirement. Your A&P gives you the flexibility via Part 43. If you want to bump it up a notch and call the use of the safety cable a minor alteration you can do that as well.
I'm also sort of surprised that NASM 33540 is a paid document that also requires a friendship fee to view.
When the aviation industry moved away from the Military-Specifications (MIL-SPEC) standards which were government run to other industry standards like NAS, SAE, etc. which are privately run, these private entities charge a fee to pay for the document management vs the taxpayer footing the bill for the MIL-SPEC.

The Safe-T-Cable® website has this denigration of the safety wiring process:

The process of installing Safety Wire remains awkward and costly, and the inspection process is demanding. The removal and rework of installed Safety Wire is a common occurrence.

I've never considered safety wiring of components awkward, costly, and demanding. It's not common to remove and rework the safety wiring I perform.

I must be unusually talented. :p

I don't like it. I find cutting it difficult and it is expensive. In a factory setting, maybe it makes a difference to use the cable system versus traditional lockwire. But in the field, I will stick with the tried and true.

The Safe-T-Cable® website has this denigration of the safety wiring process:

The process of installing Safety Wire remains awkward and costly, and the inspection process is demanding. The removal and rework of installed Safety Wire is a common occurrence.

I've never considered safety wiring of components awkward, costly, and demanding. It's not common to remove and rework the safety wiring I perform.

I must be unusually talented. :p

If you’re running a Union shop like Lycoming does and employees are costing $100 an hour I bet it starts making sense pretty quickly.

Bombardier approves it to replace safety wire with some limitations. There is a max 6” span IIRC. We use it on the CRJ all the time. I have been tempted to buy a used tool for my own use, too pricey though.

I’ll just stick with safety wire. After 10 years of jet engines, I’m good at it and like Bell said above, I’d be really wary of where that ferrell goes flying when I remove a cable

Cable is a huge time saver. I can cable all 4 brake bleeders on my jet in about 2 minutes. Wire, if we used it, would be about 15-20 minutes. My primary jets are cable only, while my secondary ones are a mix. There are things that wire can do, that cable can’t.

As for cutting it, cut in the middle of the run and you won’t have ends getting lost.

NASM33540 with a rev greater than “J“, should have all the relevant usage info.

Last edited:

It's insane, it's expensive, but I hate safety wire with a passion (mainly because I suck at it, and do not do it frequently enough to gain proficiency), and would quickly drop a grand on the tool, cables, and ferrules to never futz with the stuff again. I would also stop carrying hands that look self-harmed for several months out of the year. (current stripes atop my hand courtesy of re-wiring something on my oil cooler while on the tiedown line -- via the cowl flap door under the cowling :mad:)

I don't want to send a note to my FSDO to get embroiled in a conversation about it and open the door to "well what else have you been contemplating?" But I may be headed there anyway.

Before I open THAT door, thoughts? I have seen anecdata about it being incorporated into NASM33540 for military stuff. I don't see how that helps me on the GA side though.

I would have preferred to be "second" to this new hotness and benefit from price reduction, but, well, I ain't waiting that long. :D

I am not a AP aviation mechanic but I did stay at a holiday inn express once.

I have done my far share of safety wire jobs on race cars.

When I got my lycoming rebuilt motor a couple years ago the filter had safety cable on it. Once I discovered the crazy high cost of the tool I forgot all about it.

I am a tool fanatic but I have my limits.

Like said above if you try to use a cheap safety wire tool it will make the job tougher. As we all know quality tools make a difference.
388.JPG

As for cutting it, cut in the middle of the run and you won’t have ends getting lost.
Only provided you have direct access to the cable run. We would routinely swap cable for wire during certain component changes for the simple reason you could not access the safety cable directly once the component was installed. So whatever time savings was enjoyed in the shop is lost in subsequent field work. And losing a cable ferrule in the shop is much different than losing a ferrule on an operational aircraft. Especially when the aircraft is under a FOD program.

Last edited:
If you’re running a Union shop like Lycoming does and employees are costing $100 an hour I bet it starts making sense pretty quickly.

You grossly over estimate the wage and benefits package at Lycoming.

Last edited:
Only provided you have direct access to the cable run. We would routinely swap cable for wire during certain component changes for the simple reason you could not access the safety cable directly once the component was installed. So whatever time savings was enjoyed in the shop is lost in subsequent field work. And losing a cable ferrule in the shop is much different than losing a ferrule on an operational aircraft. Especially when the aircraft is under a FOD program.

Yeah, I've got it a little easier than the field guys, but I also have the disadvantage of DCMA, customer and vendor reps looking over my shoulders at times, besides company inspection and management. I get to do the FOD class stuff at least three times a year, plus again at any of the bases that I end up traveling to as a factory rep. I have spent up to 10 hours with a borescope trying to find a washer off of a 4-40 screw that a previous shift dropped in the side console of one of our birds. Total manhours to find and retrieve it surpassed 60...

As to loosing ferrules....rarely should there ever be a non crimped one used, unless the thru hole is too space restricted to get the crimp head tip in there correctly. Dirt cheap way to save some hunting when you cut, if you don't have cutters with the silicone inserts, is put a wad of tacky-tape in the cutting jaws before making the cut.

It's insane, it's expensive, but I hate safety wire with a passion (mainly because I suck at it, and do not do it frequently enough to gain proficiency)
There is a super easy way to change that. I cannot count the number of non-airplane situations where I've used safety wire to make a repair. Wire fence around the garden doesn't want to stay attached to the posts? Safety wire. Muffler rusted away to nothing, safety wire (I was pretty poor back then). Lots of opportunities to practice your safety wire skills around the house if you look for them.

New or rebuilt alternators often come with that cable locking the three housing bolts. Lockwiring an alternator is a real pain, since you need a very long reach of wire to connect the three bolts, and threading the wire though the appropriate holes in the bolt heads is often fun because the hole you want is 1/16" away from the housing and the hole is right up against it. Easy to see why they use that flexible cable.

I have spent up to 10 hours with a borescope trying to find a washer off of a 4-40 screw that a previous shift dropped in the side console of one of our birds. Total manhours to find and retrieve it surpassed 60...
The trouble I find with the ferrules is if the installer crimped the cable with a bit of preload/tension the ferrules would shoot out when cut at the end. We once found a cut ferrule in an internal transmission oil filter. The headshed figured during a disassembly one or more ferrules shot across the shop into an opening of a transmission being assembled. That issue caused 2 additional xsmns to be removed and all future safety cable assemblies had to be verified after removal. But it didn’t stop the OEMs from putting preloads on some of their cables.
Dirt cheap way to save some hunting when you cut, if you don't have cutters with the silicone inserts, is put a wad of tacky-tape in the cutting jaws before making the cut.
Another trick I’ve done for years with all my aircraft dykes is to apply a small bead of Proseal 890 along the cut edges. Impervious to oil/fuel and lasts forever. Even catches the tails of #2 SS cotter pins with ease. However, it didn’t always work with ferrules that popped when cut if the cable was under preload. But having something is definitely better than nothing.

Bought my own kit off fleebay for $550. Got lucky. Use on the CL300 I work on all the time and side jobs.

We had the tool at the airline and only used it when it was advantageous due to difficult access. There were some applications where it was a big help. I suppose for a production environment where you were looking at constantly safteying dozens upon dozens of things it would be worthwhile but if it's just your oil filter twice a year well....

Anyone who's ever done a lot of flight line wrenching will tell you safety wire pliers and fancy tools with long noses pistol grip style handles are just about useless a good part of the time. Safety-wiring by hand, while leaning backwards over the rail of a B4 stand is how far too many jobs got finished where I worked.

These are my good Sunday Tigerwaves.

Attachments

• 20211012_135054.jpg
    20211012_135054.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 26
Back