Boost Oxygen

We had tried that, huffing and puffing on that bottle to get the O2 up at 10k and above, no good. Get a proper one or rig one up by buying the components from amazon. There is a couple of threats on what components to buy in the medical section I believe. [mention]Sinistar [/mention] I believe had posted his list of DIY combo as well.

Not recommended (from experience). If you nedd it below 12,500ft then you will need more than this as it will go very quickly and the delivery method isn't very efficient compared to nasal cannula with oxidizer.

Could that go through TSA? just curious
Why the TSA comment? Since when is a GA pilot gonna have a TSA check?

Don’t need Amazon....local grocery stores in Colorado stock them, usually in a bin at the pharmacy.

Don’t know why. Pharmacy mgr at store near me says no one ever buys them.

Sporting goods stores sell flavored versions, targeted at hikers. Mint is nice.

My SPO2 stays quite healthy, even at 12,000 and I've done 13,000 for less than 30 minutes and did well. Still, I used one of these during a warm day with smoke in the air to take a few blows and it does feel nice, though that might have been placebo.

But, as the ad proclaims, it's All Natural Oxygen! For Wellness! And it is Free from Simulants and Additives like Caffeine and Sugars!!

It is clearly better than all those other oxygen products on the market, with their caffeine and sugars. And it's only $28 for 20 liters! That is just under 3/4 of a cubic foot at sea level. Typical air consumption for an adult male, at rest, at sea level is about 0.5 cubic feet per minute, but hey--you can't put a price on Wellness!

I keep a couple of the big ones in the house and a small one in the plane. Not for altitude, just because I like to clear my head occasionally.

For emergency use, yes, otherwise they won’t last very long. I was amazed how fast my O2 return to normal with just a hit or two.

The standard cannister has 200 hits. The small one has 40, I think.

"All Natural Oxygen"??? Is that somehow different from all the artificial oxygen we see at the discount stores?

These days I think "all natural" means it's carbon free oxygen...:rolleyes:

The rumor is that's its mostly compressed air. I bought one and I think the rumors are right. It puts out a candle and a glowing splint won't ignite.

This product works great in emergencies or the occasional spot usage. I fly very high in my 182, usually 16,500 to 17,500. I have a couple just incase something happens to primary oxygen to get me down or the very occasional Pax who would like a few puffs of air 10,000 to 12,500.

They have really come on handy:
  • For me (old guy) huffing & puffy at high mountain airports in summer lugging luggage or the like. :7)
  • Helps as a learning tool for hypoxia at various altitudes below 12,500. Does having the extra oxygen help or makes no difference? Especially when also using a finger oximeter.
Useful load required is ZERO. Like carrying a couple of bottles behind the seat in the seat pocket along with my handheld radio.

I think it's just compressed air and not pure oxygen.

Maybe I have super efficient lungs, because I have felt no change after several long hits on the bottle.

I keep a bottle in the plane on long cross countries when I plan on being up around 10-11k feet. I keep track of my O2 level, and for the most part its fine, but if it gets down below 90, a hit or 2 from the bottle will bump me back up to the high 90s.

I've had many helicopter flights above 12,000 feet, a couple up to 21,000 (as a pax, not PIC) and have seen these used several times. I haven't died yet.

Not sure if the pilots are still alive though.

"All Natural Oxygen"??? Is that somehow different from all the artificial oxygen we see at the discount stores?

You have to be real careful when buying that on ebay or Harbor Freight; the Chinese knock-offs look absolutely identical but are USELESS, because, in order to save production costs, they substituted one cheaper, lab-produced but ineffective O atom on each O2 molecule! Customs are sleeping on the job, to let such counterfeit products into the country

It's a trivial amount of O2 in the can. Fine for a quick hit, but its not going to last very long if you actually are trying to breathe from it.

You guys are too cynical. It was never intended to be for constant use. For a shot or three it works great. My asthmatic wife loves it.

You guys are too cynical. It was never intended to be for constant use. For a shot or three it works great. My asthmatic wife loves it.
The OP implied that there was some use for it to stave off hypoxia in flight.

It's the pressure forcing the oxygen into your blood stream, not the concentration of oxygen. You will pass out on 100% oxygen at FL300 in a very short time if its not under pressure.

In case of an emergency, it will probably last enough for an emergency descent, but I would try it at higher altitudes. Works great at 12500, I wouldn’t rely on it if flying at altitudes where you only have seconds.

I have medical oxygen in my home if I need it .

It is compressed at 2000 psi
It is no different than oxygen used for welding or cutting . Oxygen is oxygen.

My smallest portable tank is about the size of a 2 liter coke bottle and lasts almost 30 minutes of continual use at a rate of 1L per minute ..... which roughly calculates to about 600 "puffs"

The "amazon oxygen" claims between 150 and 200 puffs per can .... so everything really comes down to how much pressure does the container hold..

The amazon canister pretty much looks like a spray bomb type of container such as used for paints and hairspray etc .... my smallest tank is an aluminum high pressure vessel and weighs a lot more.

My medical oxygen is very much cheaper than the Amazon prices.

I have medical oxygen in my home if I need it .

It is compressed at 2000 psi
It is no different than oxygen used for welding or cutting . Oxygen is oxygen.

My smallest portable tank is about the size of a 2 liter coke bottle and lasts almost 30 minutes of continual use at a rate of 1L per minute ..... which roughly calculates to about 600 "puffs"

The "amazon oxygen" claims between 150 and 200 puffs per can .... so everything really comes down to how much pressure does the container hold..

The amazon canister pretty much looks like a spray bomb type of container such as used for paints and hairspray etc .... my smallest tank is an aluminum high pressure vessel and weighs a lot more.

My medical oxygen is very much cheaper than the Amazon prices.

I don't think inhaling oxygen out of my welding tank would be very good. Medical O² is much cleaner than welding gas.

I don't think inhaling oxygen out of my welding tank would be very good. Medical O² is much cleaner than welding gas.
I've used a lot of O2 for tech diving (accelerated decompression). In the US, at least, it all comes from the same sources, to the same standards of purity. There are differences, or at least there are supposed to be, in how the tanks are handled. Welding tanks are just topped up to full pressure when they come in, medical tanks are supposed to be drained (some sources I've read say a vacuum is then to be applied) before they are refilled.

Aviators breathing oxygen is dry, medical oxygen may have some moisture in it. That came about many years ago with the first high altitude flights. The oxygen could freeze and then the pilot would not get any and pass out.

Aviators breathing oxygen is dry, medical oxygen may have some moisture in it. That came about many years ago with the first high altitude flights. The oxygen could freeze and then the pilot would not get any and pass out.
Today I learned something!

Back