Magneto 500 hour

4RNB

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
4RNB
Background: New pilots, new owner, plane in for first annual. I am 16 hours away from meeting minimums to take IFR practical. Both magnetos sent out for 500 hour.
Situation: I am waiting and waiting to get back in the air...

So when magnetos are sent out, how long does or should a 500 hour and in my case basically an overhaul take? My impression is that it is taking longer than expected.

What is your experience with this?

IF the on site Tech was familiar with your type of msg and had all necessary

equipment on hand IF all parts were in stock the whole task may be done in a day

and a half.

Maybe. The actual INSPECTION of both mags might take 4 hours. Now you have a

list of parts needed. If parts are on back order all bets are off.

Add shipping time out-in if it’s off site.

If time is critical why didn’t you order an exchange to have on hand when

starting your Annual? Very little cost difference. Aircraft Magneto Service is

a good option. Lots of folks like Flyguydon also.

My guess is you as the Owner responsible for maintenance either didn’t know

or said “ leave it till the Annual”.

The 500 is not an AD and is not Mandatory. It is generally a good time to check

things out but is not a “ Magic Number “ that can’t be overflown.

Who is doing the work? I had QAA do and overhaul/exchange which mailed the next day (as it was an exchange...). I have sent to my A&P which took more time as he had to order parts.
I believe doing the 500 hour overhaul is worthwhile preventive maintenance, and it is best done by a specialty shop that does them all day long.

Thanks for replies so far. So I read a single day in house by knowledgeable person is normal?

My mags were mailed out to specialty firm. Mechanic did not realize how long the shipping out might have taken, they did not get there until the 8th or maybe 9th. I'd been told to expect 2-3 day turn around. On the 14th I heard what they would take, mechanic thought they would be mailed back end of this week. I requested they be overnighted back. No word on the final amount so far, in other words, they have not been shipped back yet.

So what is normal time frame?

Time is not critical, especially when I gave approval to ship out magnetos on Aug 30th, knew I was studying for written the first week of Sept and had jury duty the 2nd week (I actually moved up my annual by a month to take advantage of these known down times). With reports of 2-3 day turn around, this seems excessive.

I was not aware that an exchange was an option but I did let the mechanic know of my time concerns really wanting my plane back by Sept 11. Now I know!

Yesterday I plain old offered to just buy new but we would still need parts off the old ones. Darn!

I believe the 500 hour was a good idea based upon what I've been told regarding the condition of one of them. I was told they could have broken up and ruined the engine.

Today is a beautiful day for IFR, lots of fog!

Everything else for an extensive annual has been done since the 9th.

IF the on site Tech was familiar with your type of msg and had all necessary

equipment on hand IF all parts were in stock the whole task may be done in a day

and a half.

Maybe. The actual INSPECTION of both mags might take 4 hours. Now you have a

list of parts needed. If parts are on back order all bets are off.

Add shipping time out-in if it’s off site.

If time is critical why didn’t you order an exchange to have on hand when

starting your Annual? Very little cost difference. Aircraft Magneto Service is

a good option. Lots of folks like Flyguydon also.

My guess is you as the Owner responsible for maintenance either didn’t know

or said “ leave it till the Annual”.

The 500 is not an AD and is not Mandatory. It is generally a good time to check

things out but is not a “ Magic Number “ that can’t be overflown.

I cant find flyguydon

Unless they needed to order some parts or you went to a really backed up shop, it should've been back in the mail by now.

Ouch. Mine were less than a week from the time the mechanic took them off to the time I had my plane back. Sounds like the outside shop really let you down.

Flyguydon is located in Florida and participates in the Piper Forum.

I would offer to pm him but it’s too late for you anyhow.

I can’t think of anything to take off core mags except the Gears.

They are not part of the mag and should never have been shipped.

They are pricey and you don’t want them lost in the shuffle.

Are 'gears" different than the impulse coupling? But yes, drive gear is what the mechanic said we would need.

Had mine done by QAA last year during the pandemic and it took close to a month. I was told the pandemic had shut done most things, people weren’t coming into work and they were backed up. Hopefully that is changed now but doubtful.

So when magnetos are sent out, how long does or should a 500 hour and in my case basically an overhaul take? My impression is that it is taking longer than expected.
Just had it done a couple months ago on the Archer. Took about 3-4 weeks. Who did they get shipped to?

Just had it done a couple months ago on the Archer. Took about 3-4 weeks. Who did they get shipped to?

Since this could be taken as a rant, and I do not yet know why the delay, I am going to keep quiet on who is servicing them for now.

The impulse coupling is part of the 500-hour inspection. Taking it off before sending the mags in for inspection is counterproductive.

Dan

I think we are saying the same thing.

The Impulse Coupling IS part of the mag and should be sent for inspection or o/h.

Gears are an engine part and should not be sent for insp/ o/h/ exchange.

Former Slick Tech Rep Joe Logie would always complain about folks sending

mags with gears,, sensors and other mag parts still on.

ACS catalog says similar.

As a tip for others, the recommendation we follow is that we do not overhaul both mags at the same time. The rationale being that if the shop screws up, or there is problem with a batch of replacement parts, it is not likely to effect both mags at the same time.

You mags are redundant for a reason, don't give up some of the advantage of that redundancy.

Background: New pilots, new owner, plane in for first annual. I am 16 hours away from meeting minimums to take IFR practical. Both magnetos sent out for 500 hour.
Situation: I am waiting and waiting to get back in the air...

What is your experience with this?
Depends on where you send them. I sent mine out last month to Aero Accessories in Van Nuys on Monday and got them back on Thursday.

Well at this point I've done everything I know to do.

1. I offered to just buy new magnetos, perhaps even something like the surfly or electroair. My AP said we would still need parts off the old mags.
2. I've now emailed the shop to ask when they think they will be done, explained I'm an anxious first time plane owner. I've asked if there is a delay for some reason and if so can they offer me a magneto exchange.
3. I think my AP is going to call them.

ARGH!!!

What service provider did you send the magnetos to? Aircraft Magneto Service is backlogged two plus weeks. They do excellent work!
Sometimes, first time owners get an aircraft that has only had the points and condenser replaced in over a thousand hours. You haven't told us a history on yours. Even though the delay is frustrating, getting the mags serviced correctly should provide reliable service and piece of mind.

What service provider did you send the magnetos to? Aircraft Magneto Service is backlogged two plus weeks. They do excellent work!
Sometimes, first time owners get an aircraft that has only had the points and condenser replaced in over a thousand hours. You haven't told us a history on yours. Even though the delay is frustrating, getting the mags serviced correctly should provide reliable service and piece of mind.

Again, I am an ignorant newbie at this, not going to rant against a specific shop without better understanding.
Thank you for the data point on that company.

I have three mags.
One sits in a box in the back of the airplane with a new gasket (I have been aog over a bad mag in my early days of ownership. Ha, kinda like the OP I guess)
At 500 hours I take one off and send it to Missoula MT for full overhaul and install my spare.
I fly.
When it comes back from Missoula, I install it and ship out #2 mag.
Then, I fly.
I don't like waiting.
I like flying.

PS are you guys really mailing stuff ie USPS? Or is "mailing" a colloquial for 'shipping' and you are really using Fedex or UPS? (I would not mail such a part)

I have three mags.
One sits in a box in the back of the airplane with a new gasket (I have been aog over a bad mag in my early days of ownership. Ha, kinda like the OP I guess)
At 500 hours I take one off and send it to Missoula MT for full overhaul and install my spare.
I fly.
When it comes back from Missoula, I install it and ship out #2 mag.
Then, I fly.
I don't like waiting.
I like flying.

PS are you guys really mailing stuff ie USPS? Or is "mailing" a colloquial for 'shipping' and you are really using Fedex or UPS? (I would not mail such a part)
I do something similar. I have a complete set of backup mags that remain at my home for when they may be needed. And yes, for me at least I mail USPS. USPS is the most reliable carrier to my home. I have had the other carriers leave packages at my neighbors barn and who knows where else.

As a tip for others, the recommendation we follow is that we do not overhaul both mags at the same time. The rationale being that if the shop screws up, or there is problem with a batch of replacement parts, it is not likely to effect both mags at the same time.

You mags are redundant for a reason, don't give up some of the advantage of that redundancy.

That reason being they are outdated tech that never really worked well.

Get a set of electronic mags and never have to send them out for repair again.

Can you replace both mechanical mags with electronic on a certified plane?

If he has an experimental, it could be an option. It would be nice to know what aircraft/engine is involved, however for the basic question, not relevant. However, spending other peoples money sure is fun

C172M, O320-E2D.

The shop just replied to my email, said they should be done and ready for shipping today. They commented that they did not know who relayed the turn around time to me (the mechanic) but they have been at 7-10 days all year.

If I ever put the plane in a shop for an extended period again I will strongly think about electroair or surefly electronic. I do not have an engine monitor so not sure I can take full advantage of those systems.

We recently had a reman engine put in. Came with 2 new mags. Took left mag out and replaced with a surefly. Surefly have higher hour inspection. Now we have a spare mag waiting to be used.

We recently had a reman engine put in. Came with 2 new mags. Took left mag out and replaced with a surefly. Surefly have higher hour inspection. Now we have a spare mag waiting to be used.
Except that most engines have one impulse mag, and your spare won't go in the spot that the remaining mag is in.

While i am not a mechanic, not according to the two shops i spoke to

How many impulse coupled mags does your engine have? If both are impulse coupled, you only need one spare. If you have one non impulse coupled and one with the coupler, I guess you could keep an impulse coupled mag on the shelf along with the required spacer and you’d be able to replace either mag. Assuming the studs are long enough.

Most TCM have 2 impulse mags.

Lycoming generally only the left has the Impulse but most are eligible

for dual impulse mags. Good to consider at o/h if starting is a concern.

It does require a spacer and longer studs

My A&P sent of my mags last week to Tulsa, told me they would be back today/tomrrow. Hopefully installed tomorrow as I am heading out of town Friday.

C172M, O320-E2D.

The shop just replied to my email, said they should be done and ready for shipping today. They commented that they did not know who relayed the turn around time to me (the mechanic) but they have been at 7-10 days all year.

If I ever put the plane in a shop for an extended period again I will strongly think about electroair or surefly electronic. I do not have an engine monitor so not sure I can take full advantage of those systems.

I think you, as a new owner, are going to discover a 7-10 day period to perform certain maintenance items is not an extended amount of time. Your mechanic's schedule, an obscure part that never fails but did on your airplane, parts inventory at suppliers, shipping time, and someone along the line that just doesn't give a s#it can all affect the time of repair.

If you replace the non-impulse mag with the SureFly, you will have a suitable replacement mag on the shelf should one of the installed fail.

Except that most engines have one impulse mag, and your spare won't go in the spot that the remaining mag is in.

The SR20 has two Slick 6314 magnetos. I don't have a SR22 manual but would venture a WAG being a Continental powerplant it has two identical Magnetos. There is the possibility the R&L have different drain holes requiring a minor part swap. The Surefly has an engine TBO with essentially no maintenance and improved starting thus being cost effective over the life of the engine.

Back