Buffalo River, Arkansas

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
I'm considering doing some photo shoots over the Buffalo River area when the leaves change. I've heard it's beautiful and not too far from my home in Texas.

I'm looking for some info from the locals or anyone who is familiar with the area. Seems to be a few airports in the area. Marion County, Searcy County, Calico Rock-Izard County Airport, etc. I would need a place to operate out of, preferable with a hotel and some food nearby.

I could also use some input on the time to go. I was thinking first week of November. The Buffalo River Fall Color Guide says peak colors are visible between mid-October and early November, so I think I'm on the right track.

Appreciate any input!

(photo from the above linked guide)
dsc_6591.jpg

Can’t give any airport info, but I’ve hiked and camped the Ouchita NF and lot’s of natural beauty during fall. Buffalo River is on my list of Wild & Scenic rivers to paddle. Most of it sits within NPS park boundaries, so keep that in mind.

Can’t give any airport info, but I’ve hiked and camped the Ouchita NF and lot’s of natural beauty during fall. Buffalo River is on my list of Wild & Scenic rivers to paddle. Most of it sits within NPS park boundaries, so keep that in mind.
That would mean I'd have to be over 2,000 feet, right? I'd prefer to be lower, but would follow the rules!

I can't help with the airports in that area, other than I know Gastons has a shuttle from Baxter County.

The real question is... do you have any slots available?

I can't help with the airports in that area, other than I know Gastons has a shuttle from Baxter County.

The real question is... do you have any slots available?
Very early planning, not even sure I can make it happen… so yes, slots are open!

You can fly into Harrison - about 30 min drive from the river and Natl park. Fly yourself or commercial- southern airways express flights from DFW. Ponca, Jasper, several nice areas. I think early to mid October is usually good for the fall color - but depends on the year. Good luck. Also check out Tim Ernst photography. He’s been doing great work over the years from that area.

You can fly into Harrison - about 30 min drive from the river and Natl park. Fly yourself or commercial- southern airways express flights from DFW. Ponca, Jasper, several nice areas. I think early to mid October is usually good for the fall color - but depends on the year. Good luck. Also check out Tim Ernst photography. He’s been doing great work over the years from that area.
Thx! Id be flying myself because I would be doing air-to-air shots there.

I think all the airports you listed are in pretty small towns, so accommodations would be pretty limited. Your best bet would be either Baxter County and book a room in Mountain Home (you would likely need a rental car) or Harrison (Boone County), where you would also probably want a rental car. Both airports are a little ways from town, so getting to hotels, places to eat, etc. would be a problem without a car. My guess, and it is strictly a guess, would be mid to late October.

Can’t help you with an airport, but there are lots of cabins and Airbnb’s in the area. The Ozark Cafe in Jasper is a cool place to eat. Plus you can still get an old fashioned ice cream soda there.

That would mean I'd have to be over 2,000 feet, right? I'd prefer to be lower, but would follow the rules!

Yes, however the national park follows the river. It’s worth looking at the boundary map to understand what, if any, limitations will exist.

Yes, however the national park follows the river. It’s worth looking at the boundary map to understand what, if any, limitations will exist.
I'm sure I can do it at 2000'. It's interesting that it doesn't look like it's a requirement, only a request and was mostly because of air tours.

Back