Things That Bug me in TV Shows and Movies

Palmpilot

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Palm
1. Phony kissing sounds.
2. The tires of cars being driven aggressively always make screeching sounds.
3. Time bombs always have visual countdown displays, flashing lights, or beeping sounds. (After all, it wouldn't be sporting not to warn your intended victims, right?)

Does anybody else have any?

Last edited:
Ignoring the Laws of the Universe. Gravity. Electricity. Magnetism. How long it takes to boil water. Need I go on?

When the story is secondary to the agenda. When subjects are taken too seriously. When the actors and actresses aren't any good.

I heard a chirp from the tires when a plane landed on a beach in a movie this weekend. That gave me a chuckle.

When the shotgun blasts the bad guy clear into next week and the good guy barely feels the recoil doesn’t bug me all that much, it’s kind of expected as a movie cliche.

Cheap emotional shortcuts and lazy writing bug me more

When the engine quits, the airplane goes out of control.
When the car goes off the cliff, it explodes in mid air.
When you are trapped in a closet and need a diversion, holding a lighter to the sprinkler head in the closet causes the sprinklers in the next room to activate.
(Side note: Those sprinklers dump a LOT of water. Fast!)

A standard gripe by those in the know is the way the stuff they know is inaccurately shown in movies, TV, and even books. For the most part, I can suspend belief since I know it's for dramatic effect.

The exception: when the scene would have had as much, or even more, dramatic impact if it were more accurate. That's like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. Makes me think the writer/producer/whatever didn't bother with even minimal consultation.

Cars that explode when the fuel tank is shot. Been tested. No boom.

When actors don’t blink. They just stare at the same spot and talk and talk and they don’t blink. Cause that happens in real life all the time.

I see I am not the only one who hates it when they make tires squeal on gravel roads.

I hated the old Rambo movies ... start of the film he pulls the trigger on his machine gun and holds it there for two hours straight ... not much else other than a stupid little plot thrown in.

Actors’ and actress’ deplorable gun handling! Finger always on the trigger.

I absolutely LOVE when the actor shoots a handgun by flipping his wrist (like he has to flip the gun to add to the bullet's velocity)

(btw - there are shows and movies that have the actors handling guns correctly)

Screeching tires on dirt road like they would sound on asphalt.

laugh tracks on TV shows. That really makes me cringe.

I always chuckle when the guy flying the fighter plane fires his guns and the stick shakes as if it has recoil from the shots.

The tires screeching on dirt or gravel is mildly annoying. It's like they didn't even try to edit it. Come on, maaaan!

Can't believe nobody has mentioned this one... Bad guy fires multiple shots and Superman never flinches. Bad guy throws gun at Superman and he ducks.

Re: Laugh tracks - I agree. Since I work from home, for my daily lunch break I watch a couple of episodes of Andy Griffith on Prime Video. I've been through all the seasons a few times now. In my latest iteration, I just crossed over to the first 'colorized' season, and I just noticed that they added a really clunky laugh track to it. Totally throws off the feel of the show. Don't think I noticed it before when watching. I must have already been annoyed about something when I started watching this time.

Spaceships that bank and swoop as though flying in air.

Spaceships that make noise in vacuum.

Ray guns firing beams of light that are slower than bullets.

Lawyers in court giving testimony instead of asking questions.

Cowboys whose hats stay on throughout the wildest of fights.

Shooting the gun out of the bad guy’s hand.

110 pound female easily kick the a$$ of 260 pound brute. I made sure my daughter understood that this was TV fiction and not real.

We did too. Both our girls got black belts in martial arts but it was for exercise, socialization and self awareness. We enrolled them in classes at the range for training in a much more effective form of self defense for small females.

Lack of creativity, e.g. remaking good movies into bad. They should remake bad movies and make them good.

"Never let a silly thing, like the truth, get in the way of a good story."
-Dad (probably)

Back