knocking off the rust

Pi1otguy

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Fox McCloud
It's been about 13 years since I last flew. I finally went up with a CFI and all I wonder is how did I get so bad with airspeed?

During the climb my speed kept wondering 10 mph (flying in mph felt odd), between maneuvers it felt like a fight, and now I'm trying to remember flights from years ago to reclaim the magic.

Are there any formerly rusty pilots here? How long did it take to regain your earlier finesse in the sky?

I took a 15 year break to raise kids...but it was the "riding the bicycle" thing for me, at least for the aircraft control, lucky for me that flying the plane was easy-peasy. Now the regs changes were a whole other ballgame (my break period occurred during 9/11).
Jim's suggestion of elevator trim is what I'm thinking too...are you flying something you've never flown before? Some aircraft are more sensitive in pitch than others...

Maybe your CFI was doing what my husband did to me. Sneakily move his seat back a few inches, then move it forward, repeat, while I keep retrimming.

It's been about 13 years since I last flew. I finally went up with a CFI and all I wonder is how did I get so bad with airspeed?

During the climb my speed kept wondering 10 mph (flying in mph felt odd), between maneuvers it felt like a fight, and now I'm trying to remember flights from years ago to reclaim the magic.

Are there any formerly rusty pilots here? How long did it take to regain your earlier finesse in the sky?
Maybe yer tryin to remember with your brain what used to be remembered with muscles. Google muscle memory. I went through the same thing after about 25 years off. It reared it’s ugly head in the pattern with adding in flaps and sight picture and stuff. After a couple flights I asked a CFI if I could cover the ASI. He said yeah. I had it it done soon after that and got my BFR, aka Flight Review
, done and got back in the air on my own.

I fly with rusty pilots. You sound normal. I'm not there to see what you are doing, but I think @Jim Carpenter probably hit it with his comment about elevator trim. Attitude control is airspeed control and seeing those visual cues can get really rusty.

If my speed was wandering 10 mph, I wouldn't know it because unless I'm flying some maneuver that requires a particular speed, I don't care how fast I'm going. You're trying to relearn flying the plane, not maintaining airspeed, so my suggestion would be to pay attention to what the plane is doing stop looking at the ASI.

[I am not an instructor.]

I will go with trim and let go of the wheel or stick, or least only touch with one finger. Let the airplane do the work, you should learn how to tell it to do it for you, instead of trying to do all the work yourself.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

If my speed was wandering 10 mph, I wouldn't know it because unless I'm flying some maneuver that requires a particular speed, I don't care how fast I'm going. You're trying to relearn flying the plane, not maintaining airspeed, so my suggestion would be to pay attention to what the plane is doing stop looking at the ASI.

[I am not an instructor.]
I didn't get the sense he was fixating on the ASI. Maintaining chosen altitude/climb rate/descent rate, course, and airspeed are all part of "flying the plane." Unless you are playing with the power or are in turbulent conditions, if you are taking care of the other components of flying you are also maintaining airspeed.

You cant affect airspeed unless you move the throttle or the nose.

A 10mph wander sounds like your altitude was oscillating. You should be concentrating first in your horizon then instrument scan. Make small adjustments... Repeat

It took me a few hours to feel my legs again.....that was after a +15 year hiatus. Then it was a bunch of studying to relearn airspace.....I was still pre-GPS ARSA TRSA minded.

Maybe your CFI was doing what my husband did to me. Sneakily move his seat back a few inches, then move it forward, repeat, while I keep retrimming.

That's cruel ... however I like the idea. It must have been immensely satisfying for him. I just might have to use this myself! ;)

Back