Trip along East coast US - Suggestions to land with chopper

but ATC keeps asking if we are a medivac chopper, turns out that our LN tail reg is used in the US for medivac choppers.
FYI: there are several EMS helicopter operators along the east coast that fly under a "Life Net" banner and use call-signs (not reg) of "LN" to provide special handling. I'll bet for most of the ATC people you talk to this is the first time a LN registered aircraft crossed their airspace.

Prepping for NYC SFRA now, done course.
We'll fly to Monmouth and fuel, take a dump and brief before doing the Hudson river.

Am I correct to assume that since we'll be looping we are to be considered local and not transient, hence 1000 feet and below?

Also no clearance required to enter I understand, just see and be seen. Unusual not to use call sign on reporting as well.

Prepping for NYC SFRA now, done course.
We'll fly to Monmouth and fuel, take a dump and brief before doing the Hudson river.

Am I correct to assume that since we'll be looping we are to be considered local and not transient, hence 1000 feet and below?

Also no clearance required to enter I understand, just see and be seen. Unusual not to use call sign on reporting as well.

For the reporting, it's because you're just reporting so the other pilots have situational awareness. No call sign = less clutter on the radio.

Thanks, once we did it was it seems easy, but that's like everything else in life. Niagara falls tomorrow and then the ferry legs to Norway are back on track! The geese have started their ferrying, so it's getting late.

:) The flight over the Catskills should be nice. You already know this, I'm sure, but don't forget to mind the areas around Ft Drum if you're headed to Montreal through NY. It's likely pretty active around that base.

Thanks for tip! Plan changed a little bit. We decided for Toronto instead of Montreal for point of entry. Will look up Catskills, after a week along the coast we just assume that everything will be flat

Oh you'll cross little mountains any way you go from NYC to the falls. It's all just part of the Appalachian chain. Once you go over that little ridge it's pretty flat all the way. Crossing at the falls is a great plan. You're on the trip of a lifetime I think.

Yeah, I'm so happy that I mustered some courage and went along for this. After a day or two the ATC stuff was a no-brainer thankfully, before I left I thought it would be hell. Flight following is a beautiful thing, the frequency they pass you onto is rarely the one I think it will be.
But once we get out of NY tomorrow we'll cancel flight following and squawk VFR.

Back