Flying chopper in Manhattan

Lownslow79

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Lownslow79
Hi, first post here. Friend bought a turbine chopper in Central America. He's getting it ferried to Florida, where I join in with my friend. We plan to fly the scenic route up the coast towards New England and beyond. Might fly it to Norway if weather is unusually good (6 hrs endurance). I'm leaving in three weeks so planning like hell just now. We've got all the req. survival gear.

So to the question: is it really true that one can get clearance to fly low level VFR sightseeing as a "regular guy" in Manhattan? I read that there are designated routes one can follow; is this something one declares in a flightplan or can one just request clearance over the radio on the fly? Is the wall street heliport off limits or ridiculously expensive? No info on website regarding landing/parking fees, so guessing the latter. Thanks for all input! Cheers, John.

Edit: See that I posted this in IFR section. Tried moving it to hangartalk section with no luck! Bad start on this forum, apologies!

Fixed wing pilot, so not familiar with heliports. That said, Hudson River corridor is a really nice VFR view of NYC. Do google search, take online training, and there's a recent thread on it here. No clearance required, just follow the rules and stay in the route. Linden airport in NJ is nice for small plane ops. Helicopters use it as well for tours. There is a small landing fee, $20 or so, for small piston singles, not sure what it would be for a turbine helicopter.

Fantastic, Thanks a lot! I'm fixed wing as well, just joining my fortunate buddy for comms/nav/moral support.

Will check out Linden, it looks like it's within a subway or two from Manhattan, promising!

Sounds like it will be a fun adventure!

Your friend probably knows this but pick up the NY helicopter chart (it’s downloadable in ForeFlight). It has all of the routes. If you want to do something other than the typical Hudson tour, just let the appropriate controllers know which route you want to fly.

And look out for Yankees Stadium TFRs.

I’m jealous. I need friends with cool toys like that.

Your friend probably knows this but pick up the NY helicopter chart (it’s downloadable in ForeFlight). It has all of the routes. If you want to do something other than the typical Hudson tour, just let the appropriate controllers know which route you want to fly.

And look out for Yankees Stadium TFRs.

I’m jealous. I need friends with cool toys like that.
That's great advice. No, I'm sure that he doesn't know, presume that we know nothing:)

PS:
If anyone knows of great places to fly past or land with a chopper between Key West and Quebec we are all ears. Helipads within taxi or walking distance from bars, hotels and restaurants would be fantastic. Found one 20 mins after Key West in Marathon, FL.

great places to fly past or land with a chopper between Key West and Quebec
Curious. What model helicopter? Is it being ferried to Key West from Central America, or are you meeting him in Key West?

Curious. What model helicopter? Is it being ferried to Key West from Central America, or are you meeting him in Key West?
It's a Bell, still smells new I reckon.
He's renting a ferry pilot guy who knows the lingo and obstacles to get safely to US and he gets off and I get on. My friend (owner) is in from the beginning. He's got collapsible ferry tanks that would allow a hop across water from Cancun area.

Hi, Here’s a few pictures from before he picked up the 505 in Guatemala City. Sexy beast! DBA3FDEF-2786-448A-B260-716179BEC6C5.jpeg EB3387E6-E648-42AD-AF57-884039688536.jpeg 238AC113-42C6-4837-9EB9-A7333E26E5AA.jpeg 5F4BD7E4-6041-4A44-AAFC-D2A7AF75534C.jpeg

He mistakenly brought incorrect decals from Norway showing LN-OMG, but luckily the Guatemalans had already stuck on the correct one which is LN-OML.
He and the ferry pilot flew from Guatemala City to Flores and thereafter on to Cozumel, Mexico. Trip across the water and Cuban airspace to KEYW took about 4,5 hours. They hit a bit of paperwork when filing to cross over Cuba since it appeared to be the first VFR chopper crossing they had heard about. Ferry pilot hopped off and I hopped on at Merritt island, FL.

My friend is a force of nature, doing this stuff during COVID limitations seemed nuts, but it’s working out fine. American heli museum today and thereafter Manhattan, CT and up into the Arctic adventure. I get off in Buffalo where ferry pilot joins him again.

Here’s a few pictures from before he picked up the 505 in Guatemala City
Sounds like the trip is going well. That 505 was one of the Bell demo models that made the rounds. Whether you like the look and feel of the aircraft seems to be very subjective to the person. Unfortunately, the 505 isn't receiving the warmest of welcomes in general, but I hope it works for your friend. ;)

Nice, bet that was some fun flying. Just wondering did you all hand fly it the whole time or is there an altitude hold auto pilot for the lack of a better description

It's a hell of an upgrade from the R44 in any case:) On the whole trip there's only been one glitch so far, the G1000 panels blacked out for a few secs. It had been standing outside in heavy rain for a few days so prob a humidity thing or something.
If you know of any specific 505 things we should be aware of please let us know.
It's got a crazy good outlook from canopy, but maybe that is the case with helicopters in general, i don't know.

Nice, bet that was some fun flying. Just wondering did you all hand fly it the whole time or is there an altitude hold auto pilot for the lack of a better description
All handflying. I do nav and comms. Without AP it's a two man mission for sure.

If you know of any specific 505 things we should be aware of please let us know.
If your friend hasn't done so yet, he should look to put the engine on a factory Power-by-the-Hour (PBH) program if it is still eligible. The engine DOCs have been one of the bigger detractors for this model among other things. There is a 15 year calendar engine inspection (3000hr) that hits low time operators of this engine model family and can only be performed by select, i.e., Safran/Turbomeca, shops. And it is very pricey outside the PBH plans from what I've been told. The rest of the drivetrain is nothing but a Bell 206L4 which is solid. There are additional ALS retirement items over the L4 given the 505 is a new certification, but most of the items have high hour limits. And just to throw out there, a lot of Robbie owners went the R66 route for turbine vs the 505 or EC120 due to similar performance at a reduced hourly cost.

We did it, holy crap I've never been so stressed .

Attachments

• IMG_20210918_190336.jpg
    IMG_20210918_190336.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20210918_185708.jpg
    IMG_20210918_185708.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 66
:) Pretty cool view, huh? Glad you made that part of the trip. Nice looking helicopter!

They are as far North as Hudson Bay now.
Hard to believe that this trip began in Guatemala and will end in Norway. They saw grizzlies from the air, so the tent he bought is up for sale, unused

Screenshot_20210921-213449.png

Fixed wing pilot, so not familiar with heliports. That said, Hudson River corridor is a really nice VFR view of NYC. Do google search, take online training, and there's a recent thread on it here. No clearance required, just follow the rules and stay in the route. Linden airport in NJ is nice for small plane ops. Helicopters use it as well for tours. There is a small landing fee, $20 or so, for small piston singles, not sure what it would be for a turbine helicopter.

Hi Tom,
Just wanted to thank you for the Linden tip and add a few pointers for others who may want to do the Hudson trip, but are terrified of doing so. First of all we both did the mandatory FAA course & exam in the morning and studied the reporting points.
In the evening we arrived at Monmouth - we thought that would be a good place to sit down and get our mindset in order before taking off and doing the Hudson exclusion. We should have picked Linden, but fair enough.
We decided on planning for maintaining 700 feet altitude for our first go at it and we went to the Hudson frequency and followed the recipe, northbound on eastside and southbound on westside, reporting as we went along. Seeing the Statue of Liberty was just as stressful as I anticipated - there were three other choppers in close vicinity, but communication and good lookout was key and we kept our distance and followed their movements. It was getting late in the day / early evening, so seeing other helicopters lights also made things safer in my opinion.

The following morning we were lucky to meet a really experienced and friendly helicopter pilot at Linden who told us how we might try to get a Bravo airspace clearance and a view of Central park as well as we headed out of the city towards CT. He was kind and called ahead to the guys he knew at Newark to give them an early warning of our intentions and check how busy they were. Note that this was in the weekend, lunchtime, and there was generally very little traffic in the air above NYC at the time & skies were blue.

The recipe he provided us with was:
1st) Check Newark ATIS and see what runway direction was in use.
2nd) When departing Linden while below controlled airspace - call up Newark and kindly request Northbound on Linden route, 1500 ft for a right turn right at the numbers (of runway in use) with a handoff to La Guardia. When later looking at the sectional I see it was genius, but I dare say we would never have come up with that one ourselves. By requesting this we would not conflict with arrivals or departures for Newark and we would be able to efficiently cross over towards Manhattan within the safety of controlled Bravo airspace.

Newark approved our request and crossing Newark at 1500 feet was astonishing for a couple of low-hour guys from Norway and we felt tremendously humble as we were allowed to do so. That humbleness generally applied to all our time in NYC airspace:)
After seeing the lady again, this time from the safety of 1500 feet, we received the handover to La Guardia which took place after we entered the Hudson and then we kindly asked La Guardia to make a right turn and do an orbit over Central park, which was approved, before being directed to continue out of controlled airspace by following the east bank of the Hudson. The UNGA was going on which meant that we needed to look out for an active TFR which overlapped into the southern part of central park. There was also an upcoming TFR over Yankee stadium covering the northern part of the Hudson, but that wasn't active until later in the day.

All of this seemed impossible beforehand, because the airspace/areas of responsibilities between the airports seems so incredibly overlapping for a "tourist",even though I had been studying the sectional and helicopter routes for a week. I have nothing but great things to say about NYC controllers, they were fantastic!
And we owe the pilot we met at Linden a lot of beers if he ever comes to Norway - seeing Central park was the cherry on top to an otherwise astonishing trip from Florida to Niagara Falls!

On a sidenote: My pal made it from Greenland to Iceland yesterday after battling a 45knot crosswind and is due to arrive in Norway tomorrow, about three weeks since he took off from Guatemala. 6000nm - that's incredible.

Screenshot_20210927-154950 (2).png

On a sidenote: My pal made it from Greenland to Iceland yesterday after battling a 45knot crosswind and is due to arrive in Norway tomorrow, about three weeks since he took off from Guatemala. 6000nm - that's incredible.
Too bad you couldn’t have made this part of the trip. Would have been epic in my book. I’ve never been on that route but have made the North America-South America route a few times with one trip close to 6000 miles. Glad all went well for you and your friend.

Too bad you couldn’t have made this part of the trip. Would have been epic in my book. I’ve never been on that route but have made the North America-South America route a few times with one trip close to 6000 miles. Glad all went well for you and your friend.

Yeah, it would have been fantastic. But insurance and permits were very specific to owner and ferry pilot and by the looks of it they needed all the backseat space for fuel and other stuff. I would have been a waste of payload and space I'm afraid.

Hi Tom,
Just wanted to thank you for the Linden tip and add a few pointers for others who may want to do the Hudson trip, but are terrified of doing so. First of all we both did the mandatory FAA course & exam in the morning and studied the reporting points.

You're welcome! I'm glad you guys had a great trip, and thanks for sharing the story. Your post clears up a question I had on my trip. We had a helicopter pilot announce on CTAF that he was going one way, but he ended up going the completely opposite way as he was headed out. No danger to us, we were lined up for takeoff, but it seemed weird. Now I'm willing to bet lunch that he was talking to ATC and received an amended class B clearance out.

Back