Unfortunate halt to flying school, Checkride upcoming

Drecula

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Drecula
I had to stop my training due to the pandemic at 37 hours while I was fully ready for my checkride. After 8 months, now the flying school is open again. My target was to finish my PPL's at 40 hours.
Now I am very rusty and not sure if I will be able to do it.
Any tips to help me achieve this goal? Now I'm setting it for under 45 hours.

Set a new goal: "Finish the checkride, whenever you are ready for the checkride."

The "hours" target is absolutely meaningless. A 60-hour PPL has all the same rights and privileges as a 45-hour one. Someday, you will be a 1000-hour pilot, right?
Re-frame your target as "mastery of flight skills and knowledge".

I had to stop my training due to the pandemic at 37 hours while I was fully ready for my checkride. After 8 months, now the flying school open again. I'm my target was to finish my PPL's at 40 hours.
Now I am very rusty and not sure if I will be able to do it.
Any tips to help me achieve this goal? Now I'm setting it for under 45 hours.
Best I can say is stop being a clock watcher, knock the rust off, then do the check ride.

Yup. The clock don't matter. Your ability to perform does. Adjust your focus.

Set a new goal: "Finish the checkride, whenever you are ready for the checkride."

The "hours" target is absolutely meaningless. A 60-hour PPL has all the same rights and privileges as a 45-hour one. Someday, you will be a 1000-hour pilot, right?
Re-frame your target as "mastery of flight skills and knowledge".

I am doing my training in Srilanka. Earlier 40+ hours flown in the PPL was added to the CPL hours, but the CAA recently changed the rules that any additional hours to 40 in the PPL will not be counted in the CPL. So it would cost me if I do not watch my clock.

I am doing my training in Srilanka. Earlier 40+ hours flown in the PPL was added to the CPL hours, but the CAA recently changed the rules that any additional hours to 40 in the PPL will not be counted in the CPL. So it would cost me if I do not watch my clock.
It doesn't change the fact that it takes as long as it takes to become proficient enough to pass the check ride.

Yes, the cost is the primary thing, not being a competent pilot. Good priorities there.

Yes, the cost is the primary thing, not being a competent pilot. Good priorities there.

I was actually seeking out ANY tips or advice to finish the checkride asap while watching the costs.
Things to avoid/ things to do etc.. since most of the pilots here are more experienced than me.
Both are important for me. I wouldn't take the checkride if I don't have that confidence that I will pass.

Flying skills are perishable, full stop. The 8 month lapse in training will cost you hours, probably upwards of 10. There is no fixing it or shortcutting it, you just need to get proficient again.

And the advice we are giving to minimize costs is to stop worrying about the cost and focus on your performance. Go out and fly the maneuvers and practice those that you are not proficient in until you are ready for the check ride.

And the advice we are giving to minimize costs is to stop worrying about the cost and focus on your performance. Go out and fly the maneuvers and practice those that you are not proficient in until you are ready for the check ride.

Got it. Thanks

You'll probably need a new solo endorsement anyway, so go do all the maneuvers with an instructor, get the endorsement and get an assessment of your weaknesses and then work on them solo. Then take the instructor out again as a final check and to get the check ride endorsement.

I can see your motivation about the hours. You said you were fully ready with 37 hours just 8 months ago. I’m gonna guess you’ll probably hit your goal. That being said, I still think you shouldn’t be clock watching.

I can see your motivation about the hours. You said you were fully ready with 37 hours just 8 months ago. I’m gonna guess you’ll probably hit your goal. That being said, I still think you shouldn’t be clock watching.

I have taken all of your advices in a positive way. I'm gonna focus on flying instead of the hours.

Now that you're not counting hours, take the time to review the ACS, or your equivalent and use visualization techniques to prep yourself for the real thing. It may sound silly, but it works. Sit in a quiet room and read the maneuver and then close your eyes and walk through the maneuver in your mind, making the motions with your hands and feet helps also. The more times the better. It will bring back the muscle memory faster than waiting to be in the plane to practice.

Now that you're not counting hours, take the time to review the ACS, or your equivalent and use visualization techniques to prep yourself for the real thing. It may sound silly, but it works. Sit in a quiet room and read the maneuver and then close your eyes and walk through the maneuver in your mind, making the motions with your hands and feet helps also. The more times the better. It will bring back the muscle memory faster than waiting to be in the plane to practice.
Yeah, this. I make airplane noises when I do it.:goofy: Just a silly punch line. I do agree very much with the value of chair flying.

After a 10+ year break it took me 2.5 hours of dual instruction to do my BFR & be legal to fly again.
Was I smooth? No.
Was I safe? Yes.
Go knock the rust off. It will come back fast.

During my training I took multiple breaks due to work. Get back in the saddle and start flying again. After a few flights, you’ll be right back in the groove.

You need 3 recent hours of check ride prep anyway. An 8 month break isn’t that big.

My thoughts (as a unicorn for the PPL at 40.1 hours to checkride)... You have to have 3 hours with your instructor for checkride prep in the last 60 days before the checkride. You're at the sweet spot for it. In 3 hours time, you can run through the entire practical exam checkride skills probably 4 times. Have him do full simulation of the checkride each time. If you blow a skill, go practice that on your own a little bit and then go through another simulated checkride. Pretty good odds if you were on pace to finish at 40 anyways, then you'll be able to knock the rust off pretty quickly. After I hit 38 hours, we were just going out with my CFI just grilling me randomly in the air rather than any set curriculum. That was good for me, as it drilled in a lot of spontaneity to it all. When I went to checkride, there wasn't really anything the DPE could have done that my CFI hadn't already tried to trip me up on.

I agree with everybody else above, to not chase the hours. Having a goal is a good idea so you stay focused, but it's not the end of the world if it takes a little longer.

You have to have 3 hours with your instructor for checkride prep in the last 60 days before the checkride.
Keep in mind that the OP appears to be training under the CAA in Sri Lanka, not the U.S. FAA.

rules are probably similar, but it’s an assumption that probably shouldn’t be made.

Cool. Let us know when your done.

Just wanted to let you know. I passed my flight test recently. I was able to continue flying 2 months ago after doing the differential training on the 172. Was able to complete within 45 hours. However only 40 hours is going to be added from it to the CPL. Doesn't matter, Im so happy to be a PPL holder after a much difficult journey & tons of unforeseen circumstances.
Thank you all for the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on achieving the PPL!

…and here is hoping the current political/economic situation in Sri Lanka doesn’t hinder your current career path! Good Luck to you

I have had second thoughts about my post #25. My intent was not to drive this thread to the political side of things. So I urge the OP to just accept the congrats and move on. The congrats are real. On to the commercial!

-Skip

ps: @Drecula thanks for the "like". Looks like you are following the advice in this posting!

-Skip

Flying skills are perishable, full stop. The 8 month lapse in training will cost you hours, probably upwards of 10. There is no fixing it or shortcutting it, you just need to get proficient again.
I disagree. I didn't fly for 12+ months. Finally got into a local club and needed 2 checkouts. Nailed both the 172 and PA28-180s with nothing more than a quick glossing over of the v speeds

Does anyone forget how to ride a bike?

I disagree. I didn't fly for 12+ months. Finally got into a local club and needed 2 checkouts. Nailed both the 172 and PA28-180s with nothing more than a quick glossing over of the v speeds

Does anyone forget how to ride a bike?
You just like to say stuff to get a reaction don’t you? You weren’t a student were you? Not the same thing.

Back