Received FAA request for records, confused on what to do next.

Y

Yeager992

Hey all, recently received a letter from the FAA requesting additional records. For reference, here's a picture of the letter: https://ibb.co/1Tq5psF

My medical was deferred due to an old OCD diagnosis. The letter requests the following:

> A current status report from your treating psychiatrist regarding your history of OCD.

I am not undergoing any sort of treatment or taking any prescriptions, and I have not done so for years. Additionally, my medical application stated a past diagnosis and resolution, but did not state that I was currently undergoing treatment (because I am not). Is this a misunderstanding or an error on their part?

If it's not an error, I'm not sure what exactly they're looking for as I don't have a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist I saw years ago works for an HMO which I have not had access to for years, and I am not really interested in switching insurance plans for that reason alone (which would be absurd).

Is this some sort of standard, boilerplate request they send? Can I just go pay for a standard psych eval from someone familiar with FAA medicals somewhere? Any insight into what the best next steps would be is appreciated.

You need to contact that provider and get your records. You will not need to change your insurance plan to do that, HMO or not.

Since they've not asked for a full PPP (MMPI, Rorshach, some other tests, and a report from a psychiatrist), I wouldn't blow the several thousand dollars that it would take to get one.

If you have a regular doctor, I'd get a letter from him saying that you have not been treated for psychiatric issues in the interim nor do you need to. If you don't have one, accompany the former records with a statement that this was concluded on whatever date.

The bad problem (I ran into this) is that if it's been 20 years or whatever, you may find that they don't have the records anymore. One thing that helped me is calling the patient advocate at the RFS office (actually I got to speak to the RFS herself) and get clarification as to just what was needed given the distant past and loss of records.

You need to contact that provider and get your records. You will not need to change your insurance plan to do that, HMO or not.

Since they've not asked for a full PPP (MMPI, Rorshach, some other tests, and a report from a psychiatrist), I wouldn't blow the several thousand dollars that it would take to get one.

The provider was with Kaiser. I did try to contact them via phone yet was refused as I no longer have a Kaiser medical record number. Additionally, I no longer have access to the online medical portal through which text messages could be sent to the provider (again, because I no longer have Kaiser).

I preemptively spoke to a psychiatrist that offered the usual sweet of evaluations and got the impression a standard eval (i.e. not a cogscreen) would be pretty cheap. Would that not be sufficient?

There are forms you have to fill out and mail or fax in. They can not deny you your medical records. There likely will be a fee: https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/georgia/support/medical-requests#medicalrecords

(that's for the GA Kaiser, but you can dig through their site for all their regions).

I can get my medical records, but that doesn't seem to be what the FAA letter is requesting (i.e. "a current status report"). Would simply mailing them medical records work?

I can get my medical records, but that doesn't seem to be what the FAA letter is requesting (i.e. "a current status report"). Would simply mailing them medical records work?
Now that wouldn’t be “current”, would it?
B

B

If it were me, I wouldn’t go see a new psychiatrist without being told by you or the FAA that it was necessary.

If I had gotten that letter before I knew you existed, I would have written back myself saying there is no current treating psychiatrist and hasn’t been for x number of years because I no longer need treatment. I would answer each of the items about the history which hopefully was related to some temporary situation or I thought was a misdiagnosis. If I could obtain the old records within 60 days I’d include them but if not I’d still send the letter.

My understanding is it would be bad if OP had ever taken meds to treat it or it was associated with other mental symptoms like suicidal ideation. Best case scenario it is mild or a misdiagnosis.

If the FAA wants a full new psychiatric evaluation, I’d wait til I got the details of what they want then go to the right psychiatrist. I would not go see one before responding to the letter.

Of course since I do know you exist, I’d consult you first before responding to the letter. :)

B

No it wouldn't, hence my query. Do you have any suggestions on how to proceed?

If it were me, I wouldn’t go see a new psychiatrist without being told by you or the FAA that it was necessary.

If I had gotten that letter before I knew you existed, I would have written back myself saying there is no current treating psychiatrist and hasn’t been for x number of years because I no longer need treatment. I would answer each of the items about the history which hopefully was related to some temporary situation or I thought was a misdiagnosis. If I could obtain the old records within 60 days I’d include them but if not I’d still send the letter.

My understanding is it would be bad if OP had ever taken meds to treat it or it was associated with other mental symptoms like suicidal ideation. Best case scenario it is mild or a misdiagnosis.

If the FAA wants a full new psychiatric evaluation, I’d wait til I got the details of what they want then go to the right psychiatrist. I would not go see one before responding to the letter.

Of course since I do know you exist, I’d consult you first before responding to the letter. :)

I did take medication, which was mentioned in the comments of question 18.m on the application.

Your comment starting with "If I had gotten that letter before I knew you existed, I would have written back myself..." suggests that writing back with a simple statement suggesting that I am not, at present, undergoing psychiatric treatment is a bad idea. Is that correct? If so, how do you suggest I proceed?

So itsounds like you had an issue, to the point of being medicated. The FAA want to know the resolution to this situation. They don't know if the problem resolved or you just said screw it, stopped taking the meds and fired your psyc.

So itsounds like you had an issue, to the point of being medicated. The FAA want to know the resolution to this situation. They don't know if the problem resolved or you just said screw it, stopped taking the meds and fired your psyc.
This.
And you Yeager992, need to see a psychiatrist. What’s so hard about that?

it’s as if you were beating you Chest, saying, “but I am fine”.
Why should they believe you?
They want an expert.

If you are subject of a DUI stop, all you behaviors are impugned. They already know you were depressed. So, why should they believe YOU?

I preemptively spoke to a psychiatrist that offered the usual sweet of evaluations and got the impression a standard eval (i.e. not a cogscreen) would be pretty cheap. Would that not be sufficient?

Sounds like Dr. Bruce is saying you should go ahead and see this guy. I don’t know what the “standard evaluation” covers. The FAA is going to want whatever tests measure decision making and reality testing I would think.

I did take medication, which was mentioned in the comments of question 18.m on the application.

Your comment starting with "If I had gotten that letter before I knew you existed, I would have written back myself..." suggests that writing back with a simple statement suggesting that I am not, at present, undergoing psychiatric treatment is a bad idea. Is that correct? If so, how do you suggest I proceed?

Not bad necessarily. That’s what I did and I ended up getting certified. But talking to Dr. Bruce first is a better idea. I think he’s given you the answer: yes you should go ahead and get a “current” psychiatrist.

Take that letter to the psychiatrist and go over every single item in that paragraph and say, “I need you to determine the answers to these questions”. Of course the history can only be gotten from you unless you can give him the old records. (I wouldn’t wait on those, in fact the FAA didn’t ask for old records, so the new guy can just write up the history and symptoms from your statement. Be truthful!) He should test you for current diagnosis and functional capacity. In his written report he needs to state the treatment plan (hopefully “none needed” - if true) and current medications (none) and prognosis. He needs to give you a copy of all the tests with his cover letter addressing each of the items. Emphasize that each one must be addressed, and the results of all tests included, AND this all needs to be finished with your documents in hand less than 60 days from the date of that letter. Take into account the deplorable state of FedEx, UPS and USPS for even expedited mail.

In fact, I would transcribe all those items out in a list with checkboxes as bullet points for him. People have trouble following instructions unless you spell them out in visibly exact ways. Even then he might leave something out the first time around.

It’s important that the psychiatrist understands you are not complaining and wanting new treatment. Hopefully he doesn’t give you a diagnosis and recommendation for ongoing CBT just for an income stream if he’s hungry. (Does that make me sound jaded?) You are wanting only a current status report and proof of lack of need for treatment if true. Hopefully also the psychiatrist isn’t corrupt enough to take your money and give you that if it isn’t true. I guess he’d have to fake test results and risk his license. Does that make me sound even more jaded? If he does that he is enabling a future plane crash!

Either way what we want is the truth. The testing should get you there.

They already know you were depressed. So, why should they believe YOU?

To pick nits, the diagnosis was OCD, not depression or did I miss it? If I understand correctly, mild OCD with normal decision speed and normal reality testing and no treatment needed is certifiable? But severe OCD is not certifiable ever, in any way?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back