whats next

Seth.A

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Seth.A
I'm a newly minted private pilot, and TBH I kind of feel like I've learned just enough to pass the checkride. I have no ambition to make a career out of this, I just want to be safe, have fun, learn, and explore the world by air. I'm looking for some guidance on ways to further my education and appreciation of aviation.

For some context, I live in Seattle and have been flying out of KBFI. I've been thinking about things like tail wheel, aerobatics, floats, maybe get some mountain flying experience, or just finding some different types to rent / train in. I do plan to go for my instrument rating, but probably not right away. There isn't anybody in my life outside of my flight school that are connected to aviation, so the only people I have to learn from at this point require payment.

So, what wisdom does POA have to offer on this topic? More training, or just go fly a bunch?

Fly a bunch. Not your normal local stops. Go somewhere new and get flight following. A bunch of times. You’ll learn a lot more and hopefully build confidence.

You're right near some awesome places like Friday Harbor and Orcas Island!

Will your school let you rent a plane for an entire day, say with a "three-hour minimum" or some such? If so, pick a destination that is about 1.5 hours away and turn it into an entire day trip with something fun to do in the middle. Then, pick another destination that is three hours away and do an overnight trip there. Take a friend along.

:yeahthat:
For a while, I was making it goal to fly somewhere new each week and avoid landing the same place more than once.

Rent a plane and go fart around for awhile and have some fun. Better yet, get a checkout in something new or start working on advanced training. If you don’t keep things interesting, you risk getting bored, unless you just enjoy flying for the sake of flying like I do. :)

Get out into the countryside to the smaller airports where pilots simply hang out at the airport when not flying. An intentional airport like BFI sounds sterile.

And yeah, aerobatics, tailwheel, seaplane... all good things to do... and you'll find them at the smaller airports.

You're right near some awesome places like Friday Harbor and Orcas Island!
Yea, there are some cool places to fly around here for sure. Did Friday Harbor on one of my dual XCs. Planning on heading up to Orcas next week for lunch.

Will your school let you rent a plane for an entire day, say with a "three-hour minimum" or some such?
Something like that, maybe its a 2 hr minimum if you keep it overnight. I need to find out the details but your advice is solid.

unless you just enjoy flying for the sake of flying like I do
While I do enjoy just buzzing around the practice area, I'm happy I can now fly more than 25nm away from KBFI and plan to take advantage of that fact.

where pilots simply hang out at the airport when not flying
This has been a thing I've been wondering about. I keep hearing about this 'aviation community' but I've not yet found it outside of online forums. Your estimation is likely correct, bfi isn't the type of place you would expect to meet anyone you weren't paying to be there. Some of the smaller airports I've been to have been pretty desolate though. I hear Arlington has a solid GA scene, but otherwise I'm not sure where these places are yet. Maybe its just a matter of exploring a bit.

Look for a flying club. It can save you money on flight time, it might have less expensive member/instructors, and it will certainly hook you up with like-minded aviation enthusiasts.

As everyone says, 'Go Fly!' Different airports, different routes, etc. S43, Harvey field, has an active community, restaurant, etc. (But, they're closed now for runway paving.) Further away, you could go to McMinnville, OR, for the Evergreen museum, or....or....or.

Get out into the countryside to the smaller airports where pilots simply hang out at the airport when not flying. An intentional airport like BFI sounds sterile.

And yeah, aerobatics, tailwheel, seaplane... all good things to do... and you'll find them at the smaller airports.

agreed. I don't know that area at all, but I can echo my experience learning at a perfect airport bum type of airport that a good source of adventure and reason to sty in it is just hanging out with other like minded folks. After earning my private and instrument...and almost a multi rating, I moved away and never again found an airport that facilitated just hanging at the airport and getting to know folks. Just having folks to split a flight out for lunch someplace is good fun. Personally I struggled with "just flying" to bore holes in the sky at the practice area in rentals. I had to have a purpose and didn't overly enjoy flying alone. That's one reason I have struggled over the years with long periods without flying. Without the opportunity to be an airport bum, and without the purpose found in training for a new rating, life managed to get into the way of flying.

I went straight from my PPL in 152's and 150's, to a checkout in the school's 172, to instrument training, checking out in the school's high performance and complex stuff. Then after my instrument rating I tried my hand in the schools Aeronca Champ (which was the most fun I had flying)...then working on multi in their apache..basically just trained. Then I moved and started my struggle with being an off and on rusty pilot. Finding good and convenient rentals has been a huge contributing factor over the years.

Honestly, I think figuring out a way to buy my own plane would have been a better way to stay in it...or joining a club (which I never could find convenient to the places I lived)....rather than jumping right into the next rating while renting. It would have made it so much easier to make bigger overnight trips or to do what I wanted to do and when I could do it. Then after a time of some serious travel and real experience start working on other ratings if desired.

Yea, there are some cool places to fly around here for sure. Did Friday Harbor on one of my dual XCs. Planning on heading up to Orcas next week for lunch.

Something like that, maybe its a 2 hr minimum if you keep it overnight. I need to find out the details but your advice is solid.

While I do enjoy just buzzing around the practice area, I'm happy I can now fly more than 25nm away from KBFI and plan to take advantage of that fact.

This has been a thing I've been wondering about. I keep hearing about this 'aviation community' but I've not yet found it outside of online forums. Your estimation is likely correct, bfi isn't the type of place you would expect to meet anyone you weren't paying to be there. Some of the smaller airports I've been to have been pretty desolate though. I hear Arlington has a solid GA scene, but otherwise I'm not sure where these places are yet. Maybe its just a matter of exploring a bit.
Try this. https://www.facebook.com/groups/FATPNW/ I’m not in it cause I don’t like Facebook, but I know someone who is. They have local flyin get togethers and stuff. I figure it would be a good place to find the places where folk hang out.

For me its all about making the world small. I spent many years driving a truck over the road so I know how long it takes to drive to places. The 172 I've been renting isn't a speed demon for sure, but its been fun to fly out somewhere and back and figure the time difference between flying and driving.

Best advice the owner of the flight school I trained at gave me was push yourself to explore safely. Fly to new airports, fly on a day that has a low few/scattered layer in between your dep and dest airport and get on top for a few miles (maintain vfr). Talk to ATC, get that Bravo/Charlie clearance if you haven't yet.
On days I don't or can't fly I'll plan a XC on foreflight and brief it as if I was going.

More advice that helps me. I was told to keep a hand written journal of every flight not just a logbook and write something about every flight that was:
1. New
2. Could have been done better or differently

Stuff that's helped me take it for what its worth

Congratulations! I concur with all the advice to go fly. Just consider that, since you said you want to become instrument rated, to do cross-countries (50 nm). The instrument rating requires 50 hours of this. May as well start the building now. Enjoy.

When I owned a Cherokee 140 I realized the low speed end of the flight envelope was very accessible on less than hot days. I spent a lot of time flying low and slow and got comfortable landing on smaller paved runways and grass. I looked for fun places to fly and went there. There is a lot you can do if you think about it. How about landing at the highest and lowest public use airports in the state? Or maybe the shortest public use airport on a cool day when you are sure your POH performance meets up with your personal limits for that field on that day? Take a mountain flying course, or maybe seriously consider buying an airplane of your own. That is a full adventure all by itself, especially if you take some time to pick an airplane that can do nearly all the missions you might want to do. Maybe you could go on an air camping or fishing trip? We use our plane mostly to visit family, but a flying vacation would be good too. Ever been to Kitty Hawk, or the NASCAR museum in Martinsville VA? Both of them are walking distance from the ramp! We once flew to the Chrisfield Crab derby! (taxi ride) What a hoot!

I am a low time pilot though I have had my PP for a few years now. I liked getting checked off in new aircraft at the school. It gave me a chance to fly with other instructors. The additional endorsements you are considering would give you additional time with different CFI’s as well. I found some $100 burgers nearby. Flew it by myself, then brought a friend the next time. I was lucky enough to make friends with my CFI. I still fly with him sometimes. Fly with as many different folks as you can, and learn something from each one.

I just bought my first plane. If you can afford it, it is a great way to get into the community. I bought local and I have met so many wonderful people through the process of buying, helping with the annual, getting checked off in type for insurance, and hanging out around the hangers. I have read some horror stories about buying, but I have no regrets.

Last edited:
Back