More Information Required Timeline (1st Class Medical)

M

mfortney0626

Hey All,

I decided on an aviation career after having no luck in finding a passion for a job that used my BS in Physics. I don't have to describe the feeling to a lot of you, but every time I get in the cockpit it's a euphoric experience.

Unfortunately, I have some situational anxiety and depression that was being treated with Paxil and Wellbutrin. I thought I did my research and saw that SSRIs were acceptable, but I failed to see that only 4 were acceptable - my meds weren't on the list. I had about 10 hours under my belt in March before I needed to see an AME for my First Class Certification, needed of course to do my solo. When I met with the AME, I learned about the ban on Wellbutrin and Paxil, so I decided on SSRI path I. (60 days off meds with doctor's confirmation of mood)

I sent my medical documents in June. After 13 weeks of waiting (I've been told due to COVID), I finally heard that Aeromed is going to need more info and will be sending me a letter with more detail. I have a loan for my program that is currently accruing interest, so having to wait longer is devastating news. I am wondering if anyone has been down this path before or if anyone can speak to the timeline after getting this request for more info? Will I have to wait another 13 weeks?

I want to fly full-time after I get medical done, so I will be doing independent contract work (Doordash) on the side to pay my half of the bills, but I don't know how much longer I can hold out on full-time work if Aeromed is going to keep me in a holding pattern like this. Thanks!

Do you have the option to cancel the loan at this point? Unfortunately you skipped a step which was to get the medical first, then decide to make the financially risky decisions. You have a long and potentially expensive road ahead of you, and to be honest you're going to need to do more than Doordash if you want to fly eventually. You will need a relatively stable, reasonably well paying job for at least a year given the timelines and costs of the FAA "mental issues" paths -- Doordash is not that. Plus, there's a non-zero chance you'll be denied the medical -- much of aviation is risk management, so what is your plan if you are unable to get a medical at all / if you were to lose one down the line?

The actual doctors here I'm sure will chime in with more info, but I hate to see someone stretch so far financially that they break to chase a dream that may or may not be permitted by the FAA in the end.

Despite the appearance that you can get off with 60 days off medication and a status report, the FAA will want more. Expect a referral to an HIM AME and more testing. The fact you were on two psychoactive drugs at the same time doesn't bode well for you.

A loan "for your program"... does this mean a collegiate program of some sort? Requiring a First Class (instead of a Third Class, which is all you need for solo) sounds like the kind of thing a collegiate program might do.
A *good* program would not take your (borrowed) money without doing some baseline informational awareness about this... (<sigh>)
Perhaps you can talk to someone in administration (or whoever issued the loan) about getting your money back?
The journey *can* end with a medical, but it will be a long journey that takes time and dedication and persistence.

A loan "for your program"... does this mean a collegiate program of some sort? Requiring a First Class (instead of a Third Class, which is all you need for solo) sounds like the kind of thing a collegiate program might do.
A *good* program would not take your (borrowed) money without doing some baseline informational awareness about this... (<sigh>)
Perhaps you can talk to someone in administration (or whoever issued the loan) about getting your money back?
The journey *can* end with a medical, but it will be a long journey that takes time and dedication and persistence.
Thanks for your answer, kath. It's a Part 141 commercial pilot program at a privately owned school in my city, which has had decent success at getting students who go on to the airlines and corporate aviation. I've just sent a message to my loan servicer asking if there are any options, but I assume that they will not be able to help. I am in a stable position to wait this out currently, and I really want to, but I am trying to figure out how long is too long. I am not the sole breadwinner in my family, so I have a bit of privilege in being able to just wait - I've waited this long, right?

You’ll have to wait for the letter at this point…which won’t be fast. Whether you will be allowed path I with your meds and time on them is s different story Dr B could shed some light on that. If you are in a 141 program you could always start knocking out the academic requirements while the medical is in limbo….BUT, I would DEFINITELY verify that you have a path forward by consulting a qualified AME on the subject.

Well, you all nailed it on the head. I just received the certified mail telling me to get a psych eval up to FAA standards. I think I'm going to need to return to full-time work and return that flight school loan, so does anyone know how to find an FAA-recommended psychiatrist? I've seen Dr. Chien recommend seeing a HIMS AME and getting a referral from there. I live in Lexington, KY, so I am having some trouble finding this specific kind of care anywhere near the bluegrass.

The relevant question here is if you ever had had more than one period of treatment, eg recurrence of disease spaced by a period of non treatment. Or treatment of longer than 5 years (presumed to be thought to be recurrent).

FAA denies 100% of “recurrent disease, untreated and unmonitored”.

The relevant question here is if you ever had had more than one period of treatment, eg recurrence of disease spaced by a period of non treatment. Or treatment of longer than 5 years (presumed to be thought to be recurrent).

FAA denies 100% of “recurrent disease, untreated and unmonitored”.
Thanks so much for this info. I would say I had a “normal” amount of anxiety and depression around centralized events growing up - death, standardized tests, etc. However, the meds were given during a singular period over the course of a year, related to leaving my graduate school program and the beginning of the pandemic. I had been wanting to get off those meds prior to flying - SSRI Path I just expedited the process. The letter characterized my issue as “Major Depression” which seems like a stretch based on my medical history and the reason listed for being put on meds in the first place, but I’ll just have to roll with it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back