Is it the dumbest thing I've ever done....

Kitch

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kitch
Well it's coming for prebuy...

Non turbo 206 G1000 low time engine and prop.
I've opted to spend the $ money and have it moved to a shop I know and trust for the prebuy. Logbooks look decent just a couple of things he wants to take a closer look at along with the standard prebuy checklist.

More details to follow.

I'm excited and nervous about airplane ownership. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a nightmare...

I'd have a lot of heartburn over a non-WAAS gps (if it is non-WAAS), but the 206 is a great aircraft.

It always turns into a nightmare but is still 100% worth it.

Pretty much my expectations at this point.

I’m my experience whatever it is will most likely not be the dumbest decision.

Hope it works out and you enjoy ownership.

Thanks ! I hope it works out too

I'd have a lot of heartburn over a non-WAAS gps (if it is non-WAAS), but the 206 is a great aircraft.

It is WAAS installed. That was one of my requirements if I went G1000 otherwise they are fancy panel mounted chock blocks (my opinion)

Last edited:
Owning an aircraft is dumb on so many levels, but I'd do it again if I had to do it over. Owning your own aircraft is definitely a convenience and a safety-of-flight improvement over other options.

To answer this question you will need to list all the dumb things you've done in your life in order to make an educated decision. ;)
That would be dumb.

for the record, I recently had a conversation with another pilot about the dumb things we’ve done in airplanes…he heard my opener and gave up. :eek:

Wow. So much to work with. I don’t know where to start. Have you ever spit in the wind or tugged on Superman‘s cape? Have you ever moved to New Jersey on a whim? Although I guess from Massachusetts it’s hard to tell the difference. except for the accent. Owning an airplane is pretty high up there or on the stupid meter.

At least you began the dumb with a smart move. Spending on the smart first should mitigate a lot of dumb.

I've been infatuated with the C-2xx from time to time so I am jealous. What gets me is the small $delta up to the 210s. I love the idea of the pressurized ones from a pure comfort aspect. I'd like to use one like a flying camper van. ️

Have you ever moved to New Jersey on a whim?

Not on a whim, and not by choice, since I was a kid and kind of had to follow my parents. In retrospect, was not the place I would have chosen. It's pretty down on the list along with NY, CT, and MO (all of which I've lived in).

Although I guess from Massachusetts it’s hard to tell the difference. except for the accent.

Living in my hometown of Fall River now...it's a lot different. Politics are stupid in both places, but the level of criminality is a bit lower here than a state that was described in a book as 'the Soprano State'.

Owning an airplane is pretty high up there or on the stupid meter.

Agree. But what else can you have as much fun as owning your own airplane.

Pretty much my expectations at this point.

Thanks ! I hope it works out too

It is WAAS capable. That was one of my requirements if I went G1000 otherwise they are fancy panel mounted chock blocks (my opinion)

WAAS capable or already installed? Depending on vintage not sure if Garmin is still supplying the GIA63W boxes and they aren’t cheap, like $25k….this is based on researching for a Mooney.

:) At worst case it's probably lowercase dumb.

Dumbest aviation thing I've ever done was ride along with someone in a Turbo 182 from Plattsburgh to Albany, at night, in light rain. I knew it was stupid at the time, but this was before I knew just how dumb it was. Buying a plane is practically genius in comparison to that.

That is exciting! A 206 is pretty hard to beat. Truly amazing the load they will carry. Good luck. :)

Might be less dumb-er if you included some pictures of the aeroplane.

And if you post all the specs, installed avionics, year, why your A/P wants to take a closer look at it, and of course what you are going to pay for it... Well then you will get lots more people telling you how dumb this thing is that you are about to do.

Might be less dumb-er if you included some pictures of the aeroplane.

And if you post all the specs, installed avionics, year, why your A/P wants to take a closer look at it, and of course what you are going to pay for it... Well then you will get lots more people telling you how dumb this thing is that you are about to do.

I’ll post some pictures on Tuesday during the prebuy

06 non turbo
WAAS G1000
KAP140 AP
Adsb in/out
Svt
Xm

A/P wants to look at wing root had a leading edge changed bc a fuel truck hit it several years ago.
It’s a Florida plane so a closer look for corrosion.

Price: flying my aeroplane where I want when I want it priceless.
Besides time machines are expensive.

Time will tell. I’m trying not to get too excited before it officially gets the green light on the prebuy.

How's that Jerry Reed song go, ".....won't have to carry a wallet anymore..."
206 is a great machine, hope it all works out for you. Looking forward to the pix!

The 206 really is the airplane people claim the 182 is. Fill it up and take somebody somewhere. When you get there, hang a string of lights all around it, powered by the generator you carried.

Whether this one is THE 206 is a different question

The 206 is one of, if not my favorite plane for off airport and bush work. I hope it works out for you.!!

Passed prebuy with a couple of small issues nothing serious. Should close tmrw.

Will report back on the level of dumbness this reaches.

Attachments

• C1B024B0-95D2-4F80-BFC7-9E4FAEE1BF4F.jpeg
    C1B024B0-95D2-4F80-BFC7-9E4FAEE1BF4F.jpeg
    233.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 520D15F2-6EEF-4776-9E8F-11CF638492B0.jpeg
    520D15F2-6EEF-4776-9E8F-11CF638492B0.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 126
Passed prebuy with a couple of small issues nothing serious. Should close tmrw.

Will report back on the level of dumbness this reaches.

I can not honestly say acquiring this ride would rise to the level of dumbness on any level. Looks like a sweet ride, but then it's what's under the cowl and inside the fuselage and wings that counts.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.

My instructor had used a label maker to put a small sign on the panel in front of the student that read, "Don't do anything dumb."

I thought about asking him what he meant by that but then I realized ... that would be dumb. (True story!) :)

Binding the insurance and closing today. If everything goes right we'll be taking the 1st training flight tomorrow afternoon.

I try to remain fairly unemotional about stuff like this so the decision is 99% clinical, but now I'm getting pretty friggen excited !!!

MC for Management Council? That's smart POA thinking!

Nice looking bird too! I'd never get a 206 though, because that's like having a truck once you get it you don't have the "my plane is too small" excuse.

I’ll post some pictures on Tuesday during the prebuy

06 non turbo
WAAS G1000
KAP140 AP
Adsb in/out
Svt
Xm

A/P wants to look at wing root had a leading edge changed bc a fuel truck hit it several years ago.
It’s a Florida plane so a closer look for corrosion.

Price: flying my aeroplane where I want when I want it priceless.
Besides time machines are expensive.

Time will tell. I’m trying not to get too excited before it officially gets the green light on the prebuy.
Is this the one listed in North Carolina? I called about it, because I’ve got my Conquest under contract, but they said it was sold. I like the idea of a non-turbo, I don’t think I’d fly one above 10,000 feet anyway.

Check the cabin heat.
During my pre-buy we missed the fact that the cabin heat can't be turned off. :(
The mechanic is fixing it for free because he missed it. :D

Is this the one listed in North Carolina? I called about it, because I’ve got my Conquest under contract, but they said it was sold. I like the idea of a non-turbo, I don’t think I’d fly one above 10,000 feet anyway.

That is in fact the one in NC. All of my flying will be east of the rockies so a turbo was just going to add to mx, fuel, and aggravation cost.

Good luck on your search. It's been frustrating to say the least.

MC for Management Council? That's smart POA thinking!

Nice looking bird too! I'd never get a 206 though, because that's like having a truck once you get it you don't have the "my plane is too small" excuse.

I'm contemplating changing the tail numbers not sure yet... idk if thats bad luck lol

Thats funny I actually bought a 206 because I'm 6'5" and built like an offensive tackle. This kid aint crawling across the wing and down into anything LOL

Wow.!! Nice paint design.!! Nothing worse than having straight line paint from the nose to the tail. An airplane is curvy and so the paint job should be too.

206 is one of my favorite planes, if not the favorite.!! I can't tell you how many times have stuffed a 206 to the gills. Once in Alaska flew a complete dead moose that was being sent through the US mail in a 206, but it did not look as nice as yours.

That is in fact the one in NC. All of my flying will be east of the rockies so a turbo was just going to add to mx, fuel, and aggravation cost.

Good luck on your search. It's been frustrating to say the least.

I'm contemplating changing the tail numbers not sure yet... idk if thats bad luck lol

Thats funny I actually bought a 206 because I'm 6'5" and built like an offensive tackle. This kid aint crawling across the wing and down into anything LOL
I’m not as tall, probably wider though! :) I keep looking at PA-32’s, I like the club seating for my in laws and my dogs, but like you, I’m not sure I want the low wing entry either. Looking at a couple of 210’s as well. The one you bought was on the upper end of my budget, and for that kind of $$ I want a nice panel and WAAS too! I don’t hate the turbos, but like you said, more to feed and maintain!

And I’ve changed tail numbers on 7-8 planes, other than the cost to paint it isn’t difficult and not bad luck, so far! :cool:

Congrats! I love 206's and that would certainly be the replacement for my plane. I LOVE the look of the big spinner on the restart 206's. Good luck with ownership and enjoy!

I recently saw a picture from back in the day of one of my girlfriends. Bright red hair. That might explain a few things.

Congrats on the stupid decision to buy a plane. Did something similar three years ago and seriously considering doing it again:cool:

Cheers

I’m not as tall, probably wider though! :) I keep looking at PA-32’s, I like the club seating for my in laws and my dogs, but like you, I’m not sure I want the low wing entry either. Looking at a couple of 210’s as well. The one you bought was on the upper end of my budget, and for that kind of $$ I want a nice panel and WAAS too! I don’t hate the turbos, but like you said, more to feed and maintain!

Pardon the threadjack. My wife and I chose the PA-32 for the issue of my MIL riding with us. The rear entry door is VERY friendly for those with knee replacements.

Threadjack over. Carry on.

Back