My +1 airplane

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
I own Skywagon that does *almost* everything I want, but I have the opportunity to rent something that supplements my aviation needs. I have the opportunity to solo rent a Seneca that's about 45 minutes from my home, or a 180 on amphibs that's an hour and a half from home. Realistically I only have the time and money to be proficient and safe to have one of these as +1 to my plane, but I'm not sure which as the missions couldn't be more different. The price between the two is just about the same.

I see big benefits to either of them, there are several trips I have coming up that would benefit from a twin, either going over the great lakes or the increased speed. Multi's are also cool as hell and building twin time is valuable.

On the flip side Seaplane flying is the most fun I've ever had, certainly with pants on and perhaps even with them off. Some fantastic camping trips can be had via the seaplane that I otherwise couldn't do with mine.

What says the peanut gallery?

For me it would depend on what my future endeavors consist of. Do you plan to land a job(s) that would involve flying twins? If so, the answer there would be obvious. If you see yourself doing more of the backcountry, off airport and land type flying, than I think the seaplane would be my pick. I feel like your interests involve much more of the latter, so I think I’d choose the floatplane.

Floats. You can do the trips with your Skywagon that would said would benefit from the twin, but you cannot use the Skywagon for float destinations.

Put the Skywagon on amphibs and rent the twin?

Seriously, you, like me, live near one of the greatest expanses of water in the world...we're both crazy for flying this long without making a seaplane a priority.

Floats. Full send. “If it floats, flies, or… then rent it.” One of those airplanes does TWO of those things!

My primary flying for the first 15 years was floats. I had three planes on 4 sets of floats during that time. I went against the grain and had a Cub on floats and my 180 on big tires. Most guys with two have a Cub on tires and a Cessna on floats. The Cub was a better recreational float plane. Really fun to bounce around on small lakes, and AK has a million of them. But floatplanes are high maintenance. Taxiing requires patience. Wheel flying is easier and I slept better at night when the wind blew. My perfect combo now is the 180 on big tires and a Cub on bigger tires. And they both live indoors. Much mo’ bettah.

I would go with the the twin (because I would like to build some twin time, just in case I decide to go commercial one day), but I recommend the amphib.

1) You live in a place that has some of the best float flying in the world.

2) Most trips (other than crossing the great lakes) where the Seneca has advantage over the Skywagon, a commercial flights becomes a real contender.

3) Some of the places that the amphib can take out, almost nothing else can take you there.

4) Last, if in a year you decide that the twin was a better choice, you can stop renting the amphib and find a local twin to rent rather easily compared to finding an amphib.

Related question, as someone who has never even seen the Great Lakes: How would you (or other pilots in the area) feel about flying an amphibious single over the Great Lakes? I'm torn between, "it mitigates the risk of sinking in the freezing water" and "can you realistically plan for conditions to safely land a float plane on the Great Lakes in an engine out"?

Pick whichever one is most fun. If you're practical enough to admit you only have the time/money to maintain proficiency in one, I'll go out on a limb and say you've earned some extra fun.

Take the amphib and tell the Seneca to move about 200 miles south of you.

Multi's are also cool as hell
Twins are indeed cool as hell, awesome to look out on the wing and see an engine out there

But go with the float plane. That's a long term bucket list item of mine and you can't beat the versatility. And if you're worried about crossing the lakes.. well if you have floats at least you can potentially safely land. Just carry a VHF and hit up the CG on Ch.16

Or why not both! and something that was purpose built as an amphib
..the twin seabee is pretty cool or the BE-103.. although now we're just being crazy :D ..
upload_2021-9-17_18-30-37.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-9-17_18-29-36.png
    upload_2021-9-17_18-29-36.png
    139.9 KB · Views: 5
Back