Using DD 2992 for Third Class Medical

Derald Madson

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
dmadson3
Howdy folks! I have a current FAA third class medical, but it expires March 2021. I'm currently flying for the air force and have an up DD 2992. Thus I was wondering if I can use the DD 2992 to get my third class medical renewed? I did the google and didn't find any results. I've also seen some things on the web regarding people flying legally without a current FAA medical but a current 2992. Is this true?

You won't get your medical renewed with a 2992, but you can fly on that if you are wholly in the US and in an operation that doesn't require more than a third class. 61.23(b)(9).

You won't get your medical renewed with a 2992, but you can fly on that if you are wholly in the US and in an operation that doesn't require more than a third class. 61.23(b)(9).

Has that changed? I always had to get separate civilian flight physical to fly any civilian airplane under the FARs when I was active duty.

Checked your reference and you are correct.

Yes, 2992 (used to be called 1042) is good for 3rd class. Last time i bothered getting an faa medical of any kind was 2006, so it's not particularly new of a provision. Even got my ATP practical under the 2992 privileges. Enjoy, you've earned it.

No, you cant update an faa medical with a dod medical. We have access to the express lane, but this aint burger king. Don't look at a gift horse in the mouth :D.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back