Flying South-of-the-Border (Part 2 of 2): Busy on the Radio (Full ATC)

wayneda40

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
waynemcc
Last week Joe and I flew down to Ensenada as volunteers supporting education at 5 tribal villages. Today we’re returning home to Alta California… with a few additional border crossing logistics. Welcome aboard! Wayne, GeezerGeek

Last week Joe and I flew down to Ensenada as volunteers supporting education at 5 tribal villages. Today we’re returning home to Alta California… with a few additional border crossing logistics. Welcome aboard! Wayne, GeezerGeek
Great mission, education is cool. Loved listening to the Mexican Controllers. When she told you to expect the VOR 24 Approach, did you question her, or just load up the VOR-A?

Loved the border crossing. Even with the squawk mixup.

First video I’ve seen that shows the whole process.

BTW. Tried to make a comment on YT but wouldn’t let me

Loved the border crossing. Even with the squawk mixup.

First video I’ve seen that shows the whole process.
Thanks for watching and I'm glad you found it interesting and useful!
Wayne

BTW. Tried to make a comment on YT but wouldn’t let me
I just noticed that YouTube has an issue at this moment. Hopefully they'll get that resolved soon.

Update: looks like YouTube comments are working now.

Last edited:
Very Cool, flying to Mexico doesnt seem so scary now
The first couple border crossings are a little bit stressful (to make sure all steps are handled), but it is all very doable... and super enjoyable.
Thanks for watching,
Wayne

Great mission, education is cool. Loved listening to the Mexican Controllers. When she told you to expect the VOR 24 Approach, did you question her, or just load up the VOR-A?
On the 24 approach, I was already pre-wired to want the RNAV 24, so I didn't even notice the mention of VOR :).
Thanks again for watching!
Wayne

I will now be marking reporting points on the map in foreflight. Thanks for the tip.

I'm planning on making a trip to Ensenada in the near future but I've heard horror stories of the cartel placing drugs in small planes that they know will be heading back to the States. Have you ever had any issues?

I'm planning on making a trip to Ensenada in the near future but I've heard horror stories of the cartel placing drugs in small planes that they know will be heading back to the States. Have you ever had any issues?
Unlike municipal airports in the Baja, I would think that MMES being joint use military/commercial would make it relatively unlikely to be subject to the risk you noted. I've flown several dozen trips into and through Mexico and Central America and don't worry much about such issues, however YMMV. For me, the rewards of nice people, glorious scenery, and great food make it all worthwhile.
¡Buen viaje!
Wayne

Back