Cabin Size: Piper Warrior vs Mid 60's Mooney

P51P28

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ZD
Hey everyone. I've done a few searches on cabin size comparison of a Cherokee vs Mooney and I haven't been too successful. Just wondering if anyone has gone from a Cherokee/Warrior to a mid 60's Mooney and found the cabin in the Mooney tight? I'm 6ft 190 with broad shoulders. I know the general consensus is that the Mooney's feel tight and claustrophobic but I'm not gonna believe the hype until I sit in one, which is my next step. Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

I have over a thousand hours in PA-28s of nearly every version, including Warriors, and about 250 hours in Mooneys, including nearly 20 hours in the past month flying a 1967 M20F from Seattle to SoCal to Phoenix to Dallas. So I think I'm in a position to address this question.

Everybody talks about "cabin width". Mooney compares well in that category, as shown in this Mooney ad from the 1970s (interior dimensions in an Arrow are the same as in a Warrior). Note that the Mooney's width is measured at elbow level at a small cutout in the sidewall; overall the difference in width is negligible.

But cabin width at the elbow is only part of the story. The upper half of the Mooney's cabin is more rounded than the Piper's, and it seems a little tighter at shoulder and eye level than the Piper. And if your older Mooney has the original windshield, you'll certainly notice how close it is to your face. The '67 I flew had been modified with the 201-style sloped windshield, so it was fine.

The Mooney's cabin door is smaller than the one on the PA-28 (especially the post-1972 PA-28s). I'm not as limber as I used to be, and that door makes a difference. Once in the right seat, you now have to slide over to the left. The Mooney has a huge nose wheel well housing between the footwells, and getting around it with long legs is a challenge for the pilot and fun to watch for everybody else. Once in the left seat the seating posture is comfortable enough, though lower to the floor than a PA-28. The seat cushion of the '67 Mooney I was flying was uncomfortable, but I think that was just an issue with the reupholstery job on that particular airplane.

I like flying Mooneys, this '67 model included. But at my age the interior of a PA-28 suits me better.

Just my $.02.

iu

MOONEYS ARE THE BIGGEST BANG FOR THE BUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

A Mooney can easily transport a family of four large adults plus bags and dog (a cute one, not one of those drooly ones) in an air-conditioned cabin as wide as a 777 over 2000 nm at 195 knots true burning 6gph at FL240 while helping the environment, saving baby seals and curing cancer in the process.

here's my deal.........trained in and flew pipers (cherokees, warriors, archers, arrows, etc...) for a while. they are tight, as we all know. then I got out of that phase and have been flying the almighty mooney for years now. initially thought it was tight but it's just like any other typical GA plane except the wide body lance/comanche, obviously. now when I get back in someone's cherokee I have no idea how I ever fit in one before that. it seems like the tightest plane of all. so I guess I'll just lower your expectations that you're going to get into any new GA plane and have some excessive amount of room. you're simply not going to.

EDIT: also, what deelee said^^^^^

I have over a thousand hours in PA-28s of nearly every version, including Warriors, and about 250 hours in Mooneys, including nearly 20 hours in the past month flying a 1967 M20F from Seattle to SoCal to Phoenix to Dallas. So I think I'm in a position to address this question.

Everybody talks about "cabin width". Mooney compares well in that category, as shown in this Mooney ad from the 1970s (interior dimensions in an Arrow are the same as in a Warrior). Note that the Mooney's width is measured at elbow level at a small cutout in the sidewall; overall the difference in width is negligible.

But cabin width at the elbow is only part of the story. The upper half of the Mooney's cabin is more rounded than the Piper's, and it seems a little tighter at shoulder and eye level than the Piper. And if your older Mooney has the original windshield, you'll certainly notice how close it is to your face. The '67 I flew had been modified with the 201-style sloped windshield, so it was fine.

The Mooney's cabin door is smaller than the one on the PA-28 (especially the post-1972 PA-28s). I'm not as limber as I used to be, and that door makes a difference. Once in the right seat, you now have to slide over to the left. The Mooney has a huge nose wheel well housing between the footwells, and getting around it with long legs is a challenge for the pilot and fun to watch for everybody else. Once in the left seat the seating posture is comfortable enough, though lower to the floor than a PA-28. The seat cushion of the '67 Mooney I was flying was uncomfortable, but I think that was just an issue with the reupholstery job on that particular airplane.

I like flying Mooneys, this '67 model included. But at my age the interior of a PA-28 suits me better.

Just my $.02.

Knowing one can grab that CrMo frame tube in the center of the windshield makes it a lot easier to maneuver getting from the right seat to the left and back again.

Instead of asking a pack of perfect strangers on the internet why don’t you go sit in one? There are Mooneys at every airport in tarnation. Get on Mooneyspace and see if there’s anyone near you. Heck, if you’re no more than an hour away I’ll fly my Mooney to your airport. I’ve done it before (flown out to allow someone to inspect and sit in the Mooney).

Opinions are like rectums. Everyone has one.

Just my $.02.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts. It seems like the Mooney are "doable" but take some getting used to just like any other aircraft. I'm afraid the Mooney's are going to feel small for me. :-(

A Mooney can easily transport a family of four large adults plus bags and dog (a cute one, not one of those drooly ones) in an air-conditioned cabin as wide as a 777 over 2000 nm at 195 knots true burning 6gph at FL240 while helping the environment, saving baby seals and curing cancer in the process.

Exactly, this is the main reason I'm looking at Mooney's

here's my deal.........trained in and flew pipers (cherokees, warriors, archers, arrows, etc...) for a while. they are tight, as we all know. then I got out of that phase and have been flying the almighty mooney for years now. initially thought it was tight but it's just like any other typical GA plane except the wide body lance/comanche, obviously. now when I get back in someone's cherokee I have no idea how I ever fit in one before that. it seems like the tightest plane of all. so I guess I'll just lower your expectations that you're going to get into any new GA plane and have some excessive amount of room. you're simply not going to.

EDIT: also, what deelee said^^^^^
Good point. If you're saying that the Mooney's are a bit larger feeling the Cherokee's, then hell, I'm in for a surprise. :cool:

Instead of asking a pack of perfect strangers on the internet why don’t you go sit in one? There are Mooneys at every airport in tarnation. Get on Mooneyspace and see if there’s anyone near you. Heck, if you’re no more than an hour away I’ll fly my Mooney to your airport. I’ve done it before (flown out to allow someone to inspect and sit in the Mooney).

Opinions are like rectums. Everyone has one.

About to start a thread to see if anyone's willing to let me sit in theirs. :)

Where are you? Like I said, I’ll fly out if it’s near me.

Well that is just an amazing offer Steinger! I'm located in Athens, GA --- Atlanta, GA. Let me jump on Mooneyspace to explore and I'll report back.

Well that is just an amazing offer Steinger! I'm located in Athens, GA --- Atlanta, GA. Let me jump on Mooneyspace to explore and I'll report back.
Sorry, Athens is way too far. That, and getting past those rocks VFR can be a challenge. But Atlanta was where I trained to fly the Mooney. There are tons in the area, get on Mooneyspace and ask. I promise you’ll get a response. They’re a great group and they know absolutely everything about Mooneys.

I'm afraid the Mooney's are going to feel small for me.

I had the same concern. Then Salty took me flying and it's not a concern at all anymore. It's just a matter of learning what you can hold on to.

Now if I can just get the kid out of college and taking care of himself, it will be buying time.

Sorry, Athens is way too far. That, and getting past those rocks VFR can be a challenge. But Atlanta was where I trained to fly the Mooney. There are tons in the area, get on Mooneyspace and ask. I promise you’ll get a response. They’re a great group and they know absolutely everything about Mooneys.

Thank ya man!

I had the same concern. Then Salty took me flying and it's not a concern at all anymore. It's just a matter of learning what you can hold on to.

Now if I can just get the kid out of college and taking care of himself, it will be buying time.
I’d offer a ride this time too, but the mooneys headed to the avionics shop tomorrow for a new autopilot. :D

If you have arthritis in the knees the Mooney can be uncomfortable on longer flights due to seat height configuration.

I’ve done it plenty of times. Guess it’s just that Cessna superiority

Sorry, Athens is way too far. That, and getting past those rocks VFR can be a challenge.
What rocks? The tallest mountain between you and I is less than 7 thousand feet, most of which are much less than 5 thousand feet. It’s actually quite easy to get over (or around them) VFR. :)

What rocks? The tallest mountain between you and I is less than 7 thousand feet, most of which are much less than 5 thousand feet. It’s actually quite easy to get over (or around them) VFR. :)

This one?

rock.jpg

They make lots of weather. I have trouble getting over or around.

Didn't you know, nobody gets by the Appalachian mountains VFR. And they are sooooo long you can't get around them easily either. ;) :D

That must be why we have so many lunch get togethers cancelled in the southeast.

so I guess I'll just lower your expectations that you're going to get into any new GA plane and have some excessive amount of room. you're simply not going to.

Beech Musketeer?
Rockwell Commander?

Just throwing this out, 2 doors, 48" wide cabin, no overlapping shoulders, lots of leg room for Pilot and passengers, great visibility and decent speed 140 kts at 9.5 gph, 1030 lb useful load What is it you ask? a Cessna Cardinal 177RG.

What's your typical trip length and cabin load?

I owned a 68 Cherokee 140 and now own a 64 Mooney Super 21. The layout of my Cherokee with the back shelf option is about the same as the Mooney, but with the external cargo door the Mooney is much easier to load. The Mooney is a little bit tighter inside, but it carries more, climbs better, flies faster, and uses less fuel. It is also just as comfortable inside once you get settled in, and my 4 hour flight is now less than 3. I think it is a good trade up.

Attachments

• IMG_20200706_123856610.jpg
    IMG_20200706_123856610.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Back