Newbie questions...

Kelley

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kelley
Hello, I am considering getting my pilot license especially with all the crazy travel restrictions taking place. I love travel and adventure and tired of the restrictions. Started lessons 24 years ago then my son 5 at the time asked me if I could wait until he were old enough to take care of himself so circling back around.
Questions:
Are there memberships/clubs I can join for people who have an interest in flying but are not pilots themselves to explore and be introduced to flying and pay for the gas to experience different planes and see if the interest is still there?

If you have a plane or are a pilot and charter a plane can you fly to places and not have to deal with Covid restrictions? Also can your pets fly with out hassle with private versus commercial?

I live in St. Petersburg, FL if you know of anything within a 3 hour drive time of me.

Thank you in advance for your input. Have an awesome day! Kelley

Are there memberships/clubs I can join for people who have an interest in flying but are not pilots themselves to explore and be introduced to flying and pay for the gas to experience different planes and see if the interest is still there?

When "sharing a flight" with a pilot like this, the most you can pay is your "pro-rata" share of the expenses of the flight. So half the gas, if it's just you and the pilot. One-third if there are three of you, etc.

There are different rules for flight instruction, so it's a different situation if you're actually taking lessons from a CFI in the club.

If you have a plane or are a pilot and charter a plane can you fly to places and not have to deal with Covid restrictions?
This depends entirely on where you are flying to. Some states/communities have restrictions, but most don't. Some restrictions apply to commercial air travel only. Some are only enforced for commercial air travelers.

Also can your pets fly with out hassle with private versus commercial?
Totally. Tons of people fly with their dogs. Even multiple dogs. You can buy ear protection for dogs!
Fewer fly with their cats, but that's because cats know that flying is an unnatural act. :)

It sounds to me like you should go take a lesson already! Logbook hours never expire.

Sa far as Covid restrictions and pets...with your own or rented GA plane it is the same as driving your car to a destination.

There are several avenues that may be available in your area.

Many flight schools and flying clubs offer "Discovery Flights", usually 45-60 minute flights around the area. Often in the $100+/- range. Do a search for your area.
Many EAA (Experimental Aircraft Assoc.) chapter members are more than willing to give introductory flights. One chapter in your area is : http://eaa1602.org. There may be other chapters in your 3-hour radius. Each EAA chapter does have a different emphasis on their endeavors, with some focused mainly on experimental aircraft maintenance & construction, while other chapters take a heavier interest in introducing those that are interested to Matters Aviation. For insance, in my chapter (in Texas), while there is an ongoing project of building an airplane, there are at least 2 members who regularly give introductory flights to anyone who asks. The aircraft include an ultralight, a Light Sport, a Cessna 150, and an aerobatic biplane, with other models periodically available.

So, stop in at the flight schools or at the monthly EAA meeting(s), you will find any number of pilots who will be willing to tell you everything they know. For some, that will be a 5-minute conversation; for others, it would be a several hour talk.:crazy:

Earlier in your life, you have already taken the hardest part in learning to fly (walking into the office and saying, "I want to take a flight lesson.") So you do know you can do it again. Don't overthink it. Just do it.

Good luck.

If you have a plane or are a pilot and charter a plane can you fly to places and not have to deal with Covid restrictions? Also can your pets fly with out hassle with private versus commercial?

Can't get around COVID restrictions on the ground.

Yep. I've flown my daughter and her dogs. There is also a non-profit group, Pilots-n-Paws, that helps move animals from high-kill shelters to someone that will adopt the animal or another shelter that will keep them longer so they can be adopted.

Darby Dixie Tucker_m.jpg DarbyDogsSaraPlane.jpg

Questions:

If you go out to a "small plane friendly" airport near you and talk to some pilots or the FBO manager, I think you could find a few pilots willing to take you with them for a ride and if you offer to pay for some of the gas, probably even quite happy to take you up. :)

Pets can fly however you want in a private plane. I wouldn't recommend pets in the front seats or unrestrained unless you've got a designated pet handler, but that's up to you. As far as covid restrictions, you will technically be subject to them and I wouldn't suggest trying to duck under them with an airppane, if only because each airplane has a unique number on them and it could easily be traced to you. Regardless, the restrictions feel a lot less onerous as you don't have to wear a mask the whole time you're flying and you have less contact with people along the way.

Have fun exploring aviation! There's so much out there to discover, and it's awfully hard to beat being a few thousand feet in the air.

I'm still chuckling at your then-5-year-old's request! A very self-aware kid.
I agree. Now, I'm wondering why it took him until 29 to be able to take care of himself :)

Back