What is a LOMW?

asicer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
asicer
I take it a LOMW is a locator outer marker, but where is it documented what the "W" stands for? I've searched the d-CS, the Chart Users Guide, the FAR/AIM and the FAA website to no avail.
upload_2021-9-13_13-35-57.png

upload_2021-9-13_13-35-27.png

Guess either the AF/D or the Approach Chart is wrong. LOKKS at KISP doesn't seem to even exist anymore.
Yes, there seems to be a lot of disagreement between several AF/D entries and several approach charts. Do any LOM still even use voice these days?

Then that's strange that the AF/D would list some as "LOM" and others as "LOMW", isn't it?
??? Why would they base anything on what I do or do not know? When I said “I didn’t know they ever did” I meant just that. I wasn’t implying that they never did.

Last edited:
There were some higher power NDB's that would transmit the weather on a schedule. One was just north of FTW.

Yes, there seems to be a lot of disagreement between several AF/D entries and several approach charts. Do any LOM still even use voice these days?

yes, there are still some left, but I believe it’s only where the transmitters are dual purpose and they can’t tun off the compass locator without turning off the marker.

https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/2109/00107IL6L.PDF

https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/2109/00154IL5.PDF

https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/2109/00233IL4L.PDF

Last edited:
Part 43 only allows for Preventative Maintenance of the seats and while the POH advises how to remove them, it does not specifically authorize the pilot to fly with the seats removed.

I see the legal requirement for a proper BEW/moment for the aircraft by an AP and a logbook entry by the pilot. A 337 Form is required for a Major Alteration and removing seats in not a major alteration.

Major alteration means an alteration not listed in the aircraft, aircraft engine, or propeller specifications -

(1) That might appreciably affect weight, balance, structural strength, performance, powerplant operation, flight characteristics, or other qualities affecting airworthiness; or

(2) That is not done according to accepted practices or cannot be done by elementary operations.

I wonder what the FAA’s position would be if the seats were removed, the aircraft placarded seats inop, and the proper logbook and WB entries made.
I think this is in the wrong thread.

Two statements:

LOMW is a locator outer marker without VOICE.

Example given of an LOM without a W, and noted "Un monitored"

Lack of voice means that it does not transmit information, just the identifying code. Unmonitored means that there is not a receiving device in the tower that activates an alarm if the station quits transmitting.

This old Geezer remembers when the LOM transmitted the tower voice so that incoming aircraft at a distance had some idea what was taking place at the airport. The plane that I as flying back then had 4 transmit crystals, and listened to 121.5 until close to the airport.

Back