Got my tailwheel endorsement today!

Roger Wyatt

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RogerW
So stoked. Took me 7.5 hours. Had a swirling 5-7kt crosswind today, but I stuck my 3pt and my wheel landings.

My instructor said “if your feet at working hard it’s because your hand isn’t in the right place”. So true. With a nose wheel there is so much you can get away with. Not with that cub. It requires you fly it right - all the time.

anyway, can’t say enough about Rob at Greycat Aviation at KPVG. Super nice guy and a really good instructor.

Attachments

• 469325BB-E1A8-4F9A-AD96-72A0312BE54A.jpeg
    469325BB-E1A8-4F9A-AD96-72A0312BE54A.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 59
Congrats! I think it took me longer than that just to get the ground handling down... :)

Congrats! I think it took me longer than that just to get the ground handling down... :)

I had just got my ppl and so I think my brain is still in the learning mode and it might have helped me. My TW instructor said it’s different for everyone. He has had ATP pilots with thousands of hours take a long time and some get it in 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats!

My experience is that the endorsement is a license to learn. Great if will be flying a tw plane a good bit after getting the endorsement. But not quite enough to lock it in if you aren’t. After 25-50 hours it’s sort of like riding a bike - you’ll always know how. That’s my take anyway.

Fun Stuff with Fun Airplanes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Congrats!

My experience is that the endorsement is a license to learn. Great if will be flying a tw plane a good bit after getting the endorsement. But not quite enough to lock it in if you aren’t. After 25-50 hours it’s sort of like riding a bike - you’ll always know how. That’s my take anyway.

Fun Stuff with Fun Airplanes!

Yep, I agree.

I had just got my ppl and so I think my brain is still in the learning mode and it might have helped me. My TW instructor said it’s different for everyone.

I believe the fact that I had been flying some ultralight like (FAT UL) sport planes that had tons of adverse yaw in the handling was very helpful to me. My instructor even noted it when he said, "you are aware that you have feet" or something akin to that.

I was there for a couple of days and the weather was low ceilings and mist but the air was fairly stable and the visibility acceptable ... so we went out and committed aviation. I had an absolute blast learning to fly tail wheel. BTW, I'm still learning it!

Funny thing - when I got my TW training at Maule, there was zero discussion or instruction concerning ground handling. The CFI just said, “taxi to the runway” and I did it. Weird but it worked out.

I had lots of glider time so my feet did know how to work but there’s little taxiing involved when gliding.

There used to be T-shirts that read, "tricycles are for babies" but I never ordered one as it would likely be the one I was wearing when my friends come to help me get my plane out of the woods after a ground loop. :eek:

100% you would be.

There used to be T-shirts that read, "tricycles are for babies" but I never ordered one as it would likely be the one I was wearing when my friends come to help me get my plane out of the woods after a ground loop. :eek:

lmao spot on!

The J3 Cub is a good trainer because #1 it's a taildragger #2 you sit behind the center of lift so all of your pitch and yaw inputs are readily sensed both visually and seat of the pants #3 It's so uncomfortable in the front seat that your instructor just wants you to go off and do it on your own.

Before I started flying full sized aircraft, I used to fly a lot of RC, and sometimes taught that. I was surprised then to find some "real pilots" who had a lot of trouble flying RC. Now that I've had my PPL for a while, I'm beginning to believe that those guys probably couldn't fly full sized very well, either.

The J3 Cub is a good trainer because #1 it's a taildragger #2 you sit behind the center of lift so all of your pitch and yaw inputs are readily sensed both visually and seat of the pants #3 It's so uncomfortable in the front seat that your instructor just wants you to go off and do it on your own.

I trained from the front seat. And yes, at 6’0” it’s very cramped.

I got my ppl using a Garmin touch and was surprised when I flew the j3 that I really didn’t need all of that. I was able to know all I needed with airspeed, altimeter, and turn coordinator (and the seat of my pants)

Now go try and rent a conventional gear ac.

Unless you own one or have one in a club. Rentals are not something easily found

Now go try and rent a conventional gear ac.

Unless you own one or have one in a club. Rentals are not something easily found

There is one that is available to rent up near the DC area. Only one I know of.

Plan is to buy one.

Back