Age When You Passed Inst. Check Ride

Age when you Passed Knstrument Check Ride?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Old enough to know better, too young to care.

Any chance you could add a "not passed yet" option for those of us poor VFR pilots who want to see the results? I'm approaching 60 and starting to worry that I waited too long.

edit - doggone Tapatalk— I didn’t realize at first this thread has a poll. I posted a reply, then thought to log in with a browser to check whether there’s a poll, and sure enough there is one. Happens all the time to me, unless the OP mentions that there’s a poll connected to the OP.

Last edited:
Any chance you could add a "not passed yet" option for those of us poor VFR pilots who want to see the results? I'm approaching 60 and starting to worry that I waited too long.

You didn't wait too long. I'm certain of that because I'm only about 10 years behind you, and I haven't done it either, and I didn't wait too long. I'm sure it's not going to be a walk in the park, but I'm certain it's possible as I know a couple of pretty goofy people who did it.

29 rotorcraft and 38 for fixed wing. Pacing myself.

18, in this airplane:

View attachment 99825

CFI-I at 19, in a Cherokee 140 with similar equipment, except the single Narco Mark 12A had 360 channels instead on 90, and it had a glideslope.

Yep, I flew many hours behind Narco Mark12 A & B’s. Also flew IFR with no transponder as well. First time I got to fly in an airplane that had a DME I thought that was so high tech!

And no headsets. Hand mic and cabin speaker. Fun times.

26 and 65. After taking almost 30 years off from flying and then returning, I consider the IPC I got equivalent to a new IR. GPS hadn’t been invented yet the first time. I wanted to get into the space age. The CFII said let’s just do an IPC steam gauge and then we can work on GPS. Just took a couple flights and he said you pass, but I said no, I’ll wait until I have GPS mastered before you sign it off. It was with a 430, no autopilot. The POS planes I was flying were not well rigged, no amount of trimming made them hands off flyers.

Also flew IFR with no transponder as well.
"Cessna niner four Juliet, for radar identification turn left heading one two zero ... "

And with that 90-channel Mark 12 ...

CLNC: " ... Departure control on 127.2 ... "
Me: "Um ... Unable 127.2."
CLNC: "<sigh> OK, departure 118.1."​

And no headsets. Hand mic and cabin speaker. Fun times.
My dad claimed he was hard of hearing in one ear because he used to wear a telex headset in the other.

He was deaf in both…when I flew with him, I had to turn up the volume to my headset so I could hear it over his speaker.

Just for fun(?) I flew a '46 C-120 under IFR to Bakersfield. It had a similar panel.

The only difficult part was all the non-radar procedures, since the Central Valley had no TRACON.

PTA-TEN, Oh yeah!

41. Well, actually 40. A bit over a month before my 41st birthday.

45 for me. I'd training for it haphazardly for about 15 years when I finally knuckled under and had PIC send me an instructor to get me through the rating.

48 for me, 2 years after my PPL.

Age 34 or 35, I don't remember. It was when the US airspace changed from Terminal Control Areas, Control Zones and Airport Traffic Area to Class B and Class D so I had to know both for the oral.

I busted the first try on the NDB approach. We continued the ride finishing up everything else. On the re-ride all we did was the NDB approach, then back to the airport for a visual landing.

Uh oh..... I haven't done a visual landing in a long time. I was certain I was going to bust the IFR check ride due to a bad visual landing. But after the landing the plane was in good enough shape to be used again, so I passed.!!

Just for fun(?) I flew a '46 C-120 under IFR to Bakersfield. It had a similar panel.

The only difficult part was all the non-radar procedures, since the Central Valley had no TRACON.

PTA-TEN, Oh yeah!
When was that? I remember when Stockton and Bakersfield were Non Radar but they had it by the early/mid 80's. Lemoore/Fresno had most of the space in between with Radar back to the mid 60's. When Castle first got Radar I don't know for sure but it was there by the late 70's.

had to go back an look....25....just a couple months shy of 26. Wow....Hard for me to imagine that now that I've had my rating longer than I had been alive when I earned it.

Back