Cell phone battery life

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Wondering about cell phone battery life. Not sure how it is determined. What is the best practice to get the longest life out of the battery? Who never shuts down your cell phone and just keeps recharging it? Is it best to shut down overnight or does that even matter?

I know large swings in temperature affect battery life. What else are the do's and don'ts?

I've iPhone, iPad, and Android. I usually leave them on and recharge, going on 6 years for both. The iPhone occasionally runs it's battery down quickly, twice in 2021, but a hard reset seems to solve the problem suggesting some poor programming in an app that leaves it running instead of inactive.

My iPhone stays on and sots on a charging cradle at night. My battery life is good unless I forget to close apps like Garmin Pilot that run in the background.

Usually screen is the big draw. Sometimes there will be a rogue app that draws a bunch for some reason but battery settings will tell you that. If i really want to save battery I'll lower screen resolution and refresh rate. Ill reset my phone maybe once a month.

What is the best practice to get the longest life out of the battery? Who never shuts down your cell phone and just keeps recharging it? Is it best to shut down overnight or does that even matter?
Just leave it on 24/7 and recharge to 100% if possible when you get the low battery alert. Charge controllers have gotten pretty smart these days.
The iPhone occasionally runs it's battery down quickly, twice in 2021, but a hard reset seems to solve the problem suggesting some poor programming in an app that leaves it running instead of inactive.
I noticed that high battery drain used to be coincident with firmware updates being available. Seems to be happening less lately, though.

Hi.

best practice to get the longest life out of the battery?
Turn Off any Apps that may be running in the background continuously unless you need it on.
Turn down your Brightness, in some cases in Auto with a proper reference brightness works best, don't start full bright.
Turn Off your WiFi and BT and turn them back on only when you need them. In som deices lookig ror WiFi takes a lot of power, in most cases the BT is Not as bad but in rare cases they are worse than WiFi.

I only charge mine up to 80% and always have "low power mode" on to reduce the power consumption a bit.

I plug mine in before bed and unplug it in the morning. 2 year old iPhone. Phone goes all day without being charged. Recently, I have been getting the 20% battery life remaining just before I am ready for bed. Probably almost time for a new one... fortunately, that is something work pays for, so it doesn't irritate me as much as it would if I were on the hook for replacing these things when batteries go south.

One thing that will kill my phone's battery like nothing else is waze - if I am using waze in the car, I do plug it in to the USB. Sometimes, even if I shut waze down after a trip, it will either re-launch itself or not have shut down completely... if that happens, my batter life will plummet.

I think (not sure) that most phones now have logic built in so they don't overcharge....BUT I have read that it is...or maybe it used to be.... bad practice to leave them plugged in after it reaches 100%.
Also, I have learned that lithium batteries don't like being at 0% or at 100% state of charge.... apparently happiest at somewhere around the middle.... say 20% to 80%
Just recently I got a new phone because my old one stopped lasting through the day...after several years of just plugging it in every night while I slept....
With this new phone, I have no problem getting through the day...still with a good charge at bedtime...so my new practice is to NOT plug it in at night.... I top it up over breakfast in the morning with the goal of unplugging at 80% or so...but the blasted thing charges so fast most mornings it gets up to 100% or close to it before I catch it...

I've iPhone, iPad, and Android. I usually leave them on and recharge, going on 6 years for both. The iPhone occasionally runs it's battery down quickly, twice in 2021, but a hard reset seems to solve the problem suggesting some poor programming in an app that leaves it running instead of inactive.

You can check battery consumption by app in settings. You might be surprised, weather apps are a big user.

For iPhone, turn off auto update, gps, siri, bluetooth and wifi and keep the phone in low power mode until you need one of those services. Auto update will run a search every so often... something like every 30 minutes. Wifi being on will cause it to continually search for wifi to connect to. Siri being on will listen and report back any noise trying to see if it’s a recognized voice pattern.

Lots of apps will also do time based data updates, sometimes every minute, so they can also be power sucks.

For iPhone, turn off auto update, gps, siri, bluetooth and wifi and keep the phone in low power mode until you need one of those services. Auto update will run a search every so often... something like every 30 minutes. Wifi being on will cause it to continually search for wifi to connect to. Siri being on will listen and report back any noise trying to see if it’s a recognized voice pattern.

Lots of apps will also do time based data updates, sometimes every minute, so they can also be power sucks.

You can set siri to turn on with a push of a button instead of always on.
Other than that, my battery with drop 20% over 16 hours with all of the above turn on and having it in high power mode. I don’t have auto update turn on for other reasons.
BTW, for those with overheating problems, running an EFB and charging the battery will create maximum heat, the CPU is generating heat and the battery is as well. Best to charge before flying, add it to your flight planning tasks.

Back