Cape Air

Amazing Cape Air has such a good safety record for the amount of flying they do, in the places they do it, and in the airplanes they use.
Agreed. Not to mention they're single pilot IFR in piston twins with relatively low-time pilots.

Yeah... I don't know if they still do, but I'm pretty sure they used to have a scheduled run between Boston and Albany in a Cherokee 6 or similar. The weather just isn't good enough to do that all the time, at those altitudes. Maybe they are good enough to know when to not fly, and do that.

Yeah... I don't know if they still do, but I'm pretty sure they used to have a scheduled run between Boston and Albany in a Cherokee 6 or similar. The weather just isn't good enough to do that all the time, at those altitudes. Maybe they are good enough to know when to not fly, and do that.
They cannot operate IFR in a scheduled operation like that in a piston single. VFR only. When the weather went down, they probably use a 402. I worked for an outfit that operated that way in the Midwest. This was in the mid ‘80’s.

There is an operation that does the same thing out of Saipan today.

As long as they had a working autopilot.
Do they, though? I’ve ridden on their Montana contingent a handful of times, so far all in the 402s. I don’t recall that I saw an autopilot in use. But the flights I was on were all VFR, squawking 1200. I do try to study what they do to make single-pilot operations work because I’m sure there are things I can emulate to make my own flying safer.

In spite of leaving the runway and going into a concentration of trees at what appears from photos to have been a considerable amount of speed, there were no fatalities and no serious injuries. Getting those seven people out of a significantly damaged and burning aircraft in relatively good condition was an improbable outcome to say the least.

With that in mind, I'll forego any speculation about the accident and refrain from making comments about pilot experience and skill, the aircraft types and condition of the Cape Air fleet, or the manner in which it is operated (this is not meant to criticize other posters).

Many years ago a similar accident in a Cessna 400 series twin that was occupied by people I loved and admired took their lives. I'm just going to enjoy the outcome of the Cape Air accident and be thankful everyone on board is OK.

I am familiar with the operation. Commonality is what kept them same. Procedurally I always questioned, albeit from afar.

Rumor has it that it was a botched go around after an ILS with a tailwind. Really bad wx out on the cape yesterday.

They have never operated the Cherokee 6.

Do they, though? I’ve ridden on their Montana contingent a handful of times, so far all in the 402s. I don’t recall that I saw an autopilot in use. But the flights I was on were all VFR, squawking 1200. I do try to study what they do to make single-pilot operations work because I’m sure there are things I can emulate to make my own flying safer.
Working autopilot AVAILABLE. Not required to use it when VMC. However, I don’t no what their OPSPECS require.

Besides around 80 402s and a couple of Britten-Norman Islanders, they've begun buying brand new Tecnam P2012 Travellers.

I've flown on their 402s between Boston and Provincetown several times.

A local pilot said once Cape Air does not fix auto-pilots. So once the A/P dies, no more A/P. And very few Cape Air planes have a working A/P.
The company is/was known for very good maintenance, but minimal planes.

Note: this is all hearsay.

Tim

Rumor has it that it was a botched go around after an ILS with a tailwind. Really bad wx out on the cape yesterday.

They have never operated the Cherokee 6.

Absolutely could have been another carrier. This was late 80's/early 90's.

I thought that was 19 passenger or higher limit?

Tim
Second pilot is always required for carrying passengers in 19 seats or more. Autopilot is required for single pilot Part 135 IFR operations less than 19 seats. At least it used to be the case.

10 seats, including the pilot, is the limit for single-pilot passenger operations. The C-402 has up to 9 passenger seats (including the right-front pilot seat) when conducting single-pilot ops. When single-pilot, no IFR without an auto-pilot.

Last edited:
Amazing Cape Air has such a good safety record for the amount of flying they do, in the places they do it, and in the airplanes they use.
I agree! I don’t know a whole lot about them, but they seem to do a really good job at what they do, though it’s a wild thought to think they’re using piston aircraft in scheduled airline service. I wouldn’t bat an eye to fly with them.

10 seats is the limit for single-pilot passenger operations. The C-402 has up to 9 passenger seats (including the right-front pilot seat) when conducting single-pilot ops. When single-pilot, no IFR without an auto-pilot.

Show me the reg please. I have found two regs, one I posted above which shows ten passengers required to require SIC. The other says A/P only required in place of SIC.

Tim

My brother flew for Cair. He said it was the best training he's ever had. He has multiple type ratings now and is a G500 captain.

Show me the reg please. I have found two regs, one I posted above which shows ten passengers required to require SIC. The other says A/P only required in place of SIC.
My post wasn't clear. The 10 would include the pilot. The 10-seat C-402 was 9 passengers plus 1 pilot. VFR you don't need an autopilot; IFR, you do.

My post wasn't clear. The 10 would include the pilot. The 10-seat C-402 was 9 passengers plus 1 pilot. VFR you don't need an autopilot; IFR, you do.

Yup. The reg I pointed too actually specifically excludes the pilot seat.

Tim

Their 402 was the first "small plane" I ever flew on. Was a great experience and got me interested in becoming a pilot.

Back