On 9/11, there were some noteworthy unruly passengers on Flight 93

geezer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kruse'n
A resident of New Jersey wrote this, and it was printed in the Wall Street Journal.

Princeton Junction, N.J.

My hometown is on the edge of the New York City area, where dense development ends and soybean farms begin. The 9/11 memorials around here are a reminder of our proximity to the city, but some are easy to miss. The one at the post office in nearby Cranbury is particularly inconspicuous: “This Building Is Named in Honor of Todd Beamer.

There’s some beauty in the humility of such a memorial. But when I learned a few years ago that Beamer had lived in the town next to mine, I was ashamed. Why hadn’t I known that this hero of 9/11 was a local guy? My region, the state of New Jersey, and the country as a whole ought to know more about Todd Beamer.

A 32-year-old software salesman for Oracle, Beamer was among the passengers on United Airlines Flight 93 who attacked the hijackers and prevented them from crashing the Boeing 757 into the U.S. Capitol. His rallying cry, “Let’s roll,” rests in America’s memory. It is exalting to think of what he and his fellow passengers did on that short flight, and the people they saved on the ground.

Beamer remained poised under extreme pressure. Many passengers made phone calls during the flight, but Beamer’s call with Airfone operator Lisa Jefferson became the fullest account of what took place in the air that day. He remained on the line for 14 minutes, describing the direction of the plane, the hijackers’ behavior and, eventually, the passengers’ decision to revolt.

“His voice was devoid of any stress,” Ms. Jefferson later said. “In fact, he sounded so tranquil it made me begin to doubt the authenticity and urgency of his call.”

Chaos
Beamer was also physically confident, and courageous. As a student at Wheaton College in Illinois, he played baseball and captained the basketball team. In a memoir, Beamer’s wife Lisa relates that he once played a soccer game with a broken jaw.

It’s fortunate that Beamer and the three other passengers who spearheaded the revolt— Jeremy Glick, Mark Bingham and Tom Burnett —were athletes. The hijackers pitched the plane back and forth sharply in a failed attempt to shake their attackers off their feet. The cockpit recording, filled with slams, shattering plates, and howls, reveals that the terrorists took the plane down only after six minutes of the passengers’ sustained assault.

A strong Christian faith also carried Beamer toward his fate. Lisa recounts that their life together was founded on faith—at Wheaton, while rearing children, and teaching Sunday school at Princeton Alliance Church.

Before ending his call with Ms. Jefferson, Beamer asked, “Would you do one last thing for me?”

“Yes. What is it?” she answered.

“Would you pray with me?”

They said the Lord’s Prayer together in full, and other passengers joined in. Beamer then recited Psalm 23, concluding, “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.” Immediately after, he turned to his co-conspirators and asked, “Are you guys ready? OK, let’s roll.”

It’s a life and death that merit celebration. Amid the observances on this 20th anniversary, take a moment to remember Todd Beamer. You might also want to take a look around. An American hero might have lived in your own hometown.

Mr. Ukueberuwa is an editorial page writer at the Journal.

My personal opinion of Beamer is quite clear, He was the bravest man on 9/11. He knew that if he succeeded, the plane would absolutely crash, killing everyone on board. Until that crash, there was some small possibility that the pilots might change their minds. He did not wait to find out, sitting in fear in his seat. He put together an attack, and sent the plane beyond its trim limits, and the terrorists lost the ability to avoid a crash in the middle of nowhere.

The firemen that rushed into the towers had no reason to believe they would all die there. They expected to be hero's by helping people to escape from what seemed to be a fire and smoke problem. The buildings' collapse was a surprise.. Yes, they died doing what they were paid to do.

Todd Beamer knew he was going to die, and forced his killers to die where HE decided they would die, not where THEY wanted to die, crashing into the US Capitol building, and stole from them all they wished for their life's accomplishment.

A very tough Sunday School teacher.

Last edited:
Best piece I've read in a while. Thank you for posting it.

Also, passengers would have had them. A gunfight in the air is not a good thing, but probably better than an airplane taking down a building.

Unfortunately POA rules prohibit me from stating some facts pertinent to this discussion...

(>-{

Flight 93 and the one that went into the Pentagon were the only ones who had any inkling that the planes were not going to land at an airport following the "Hijacking".

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but true genius takes the information available, formulates a plan for the assets at hand, and carries out the defeat of the terrorists.

A true hero gets up from his seat, and charges even though he knows he will die, whether he wins or loses the fight ahead. He died, but won the war. The men who went with him are equally brave and hero's, but Todd created the plan, and found the support he needed to succeed.

No one in the plane that hit the Pentagon had the genius or bravery that Todd and his supporters did, and people outside the plane died as a result.

Fantastic story but I am very uncomfortable with the "unruly passenger" title. I hope this wasn't the intent but the phrase suggests a favorable comparison between an incredibly brave act in the face of violence and anti-mask snowflakes and flight attendant abusers.

Last edited:
No negative implications on my part. Just a contrast of the intents in this case, from other events with little excuse for their disruptions.

The point was that there is a time and place for all kinds of acts that in the normal life are not permitted. There were regulations even then forbidding charging up the aisle with intent to do damage to other passengers. The terrorist passengers had done similar illegal acts, and the only way to correct the conditions resulting, was a new assault on the front of the aisle.

No one in the plane that hit the Pentagon had the genius or bravery that Todd and his supporters did, and people outside the plane died as a result.
We don't know that for facts... perhaps a few DID have that courage, but no tools. We'll never know.
Which plane hit building 7?

I may be wrong, but I am not aware of any sounds on the CVR indicating that the terrorists at the front of the aisle had any problems with passengers.

Side light on this, a member of my flying club had taken the day off from his office in that wing of the Pentagon, to go flying. At College Park airport, he saw smoke rising to the south. He did not fly that day, his office waseffectively destroyed, and he lost office mates, dead and incapacitated.

He did not fly that day, but was glad to be at CGS when the plane hit.

Flight 93 and the one that went into the Pentagon were the only ones who had any inkling that the planes were not going to land at an airport following the "Hijacking".

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but true genius takes the information available, formulates a plan for the assets at hand, and carries out the defeat of the terrorists.

A true hero gets up from his seat, and charges even though he knows he will die, whether he wins or loses the fight ahead. He died, but won the war. The men who went with him are equally brave and hero's, but Todd created the plan, and found the support he needed to succeed.

I had also heard they had more time on the ground to become aware of the other crashes. But looking at the timeline in the AOPA article I posted in the other thread, I am now wondering about that.

The thread is being reopened, as we feel there is great value in discussing a subject so near and dear to our hearts. That being said, those who feel the need to interject political opinions or thoughts on policy making will be warned, as this is not the place (nor subject) to do so.

One question and one observation.
ObservatIon: I teach computer science and try to impress upon the students that depending what type of jobs they take in the field after graduation, screwing up software can result in non-existent to extreme damage resulting in loss of money to loss of life to compromising national security. I don’t remember any CFI ever asking what I would do in an emergency, e.g crash in a school yard vs crash in a field (this is the same argument regarding autonomous cars, by the way, which is a serious discussion in our upper division classes).

Question: I have no doubt those here with military training have considered and been trained for emergency situations, but what about the rest of us? The million dollar question-what would you do? Of course the real question is what would actually do vs what do you think/claim you would do?

One question and one observation.
ObservatIon: I teach computer science and try to impress upon the students that depending what type of jobs they take in the field after graduation, screwing up software can result in non-existent to extreme damage resulting in loss of money to loss of life to compromising national security. I don’t remember any CFI ever asking what I would do in an emergency, e.g crash in a school yard vs crash in a field (this is the same argument regarding autonomous cars, by the way, which is a serious discussion in our upper division classes).

Question: I have no doubt those here with military training have considered and been trained for emergency situations, but what about the rest of us? The million dollar question-what would you do? Of course the real question is what would actually do vs what do you think/claim you would do?
My CFI's went over scenarios like that and I'm pretty sure I've had some discussions with students about it. Frankly, there are too many "what ifs" to cover every scenario, but I think your moral views will drive your decision making. It's hard to tell a student that they need to subscribe to your religious views, for instance, without opening a can of worms, so the subject must be approached in an open-ended fashion, in my experience. Also, the more experience and control of the aircraft you have, the more you'll know what your options are. Then there are things I'd try to save both my life and people on the ground in a Super Cub and maybe my Luscombe that aren't an option in the Cardinal.

I don’t remember any CFI ever asking what I would do in an emergency, e.g crash in a school yard vs crash in a field (this is the same argument regarding autonomous cars, by the way, which is a serious discussion in our upper division classes).
I definitely remember having this discussion with my CFI. He impressed on me that you (and presumably your passengers) made the choice to get in the airplane. The people on the ground didn't make the choice to get in the way.

When I came to the part in yesterday's WSJ piece about Todd Beamer asking the Airfone operater to pray with him, I suddenly and unexpectedly broke out in tears.

At the hour and time of his death, Todd Beamer asked for his faith to help provide him the strength and courage to go on.

“Are you guys ready? OK, let’s roll.”

Back