East Coast: Fun destinations for a toddler?

Trogdor

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Trogdor
Other than Disney….

But I’m looking for destination GA airports that have some kind of baked in fun for a toddler.

My son is 4.5 and will tell you that he is a “single-prop crop duster” when you meet him and then promptly explain the four forces of flight to you. He also normally runs outside with both arms extended straight out for maximum lift. Note: He does not believe in flaps.

For example, one suggestion made by a friend was KLUA (Luray Caverns) - apparently there is a shuttle to the caverns directly from the airport. Another one was KWWD and visit the Cape May Aviation museum as well as the diner.

Any other good suggestions?

how far r u willing to travel and from where?

Storyland, Glen NH, and Santa's Village Jefferson NH. Storyland is near Eastern slopes, and Santa's village is near Mt Washington airport. You would probably need to arrange a car rental for Storyland. Mt Washington Airport lists taxis. Both places are great for kids that age.

Schenectady has an air museum on the airport as well that iirc is better than Cape May. They had a Mooney Mite which is one of my favorites.

For example, one suggestion made by a friend was KLUA (Luray Caverns) - apparently there is a shuttle to the caverns directly from the airport. Another one was KWWD and visit the Cape May Aviation museum as well as the diner.
I took my 9yo to Luray this year. It's about a 45 minute self-guided tour through the caverns, might be a bit too much walking for a 4.5yo, or at least for my 4.5yo.

Anywhere with a diner works, or pack PB&Js and go somewhere pretty like MD1 or 06N or 71N...

I haven't been, but 19N is close to https://www.diggerlandusa.com/ .

2W6 is close to https://paxmuseum.com/ .

KTGI is a favorite too.

Any airport with beach access, though those will be more fun when the weather is warm. Up this way, Montauk, NY and Ocean City, NJ come to mind; one can walk to the beach.

Pena’s Cave (N74) would be perfect for him.

It’s a short walk from the airport to the Cave. You ride in a boat through the cave. Take the safari animal tour and the bus will let you out right at your plane at the end of the tour.

While you're in East Tennessee, try Lost Sea in Sweetwater, near KMNV. Underground cavern with an underground pond (sea). Then you get on the boat and ride on the water underground.

https://thelostsea.com

Sorry for being silent - I am researching all of them! One issue I have been finding is transportation (sometimes Lyft/Uber have no drivers available for some of these small airports).

I just realized something - he loves Air Tractors but it is hard to find one around me.

The new Legoland park in Orange County NY is about a 15 minute drive from Randall airport.

Is the Ice Cream place at Jaffrey New Hampshire airport still open?

Is the Ice Cream place at Jaffrey New Hampshire airport still open?

Kimballs, great ice cream. Last I saw, Jaffery is getting a much needed runway resurfacing and has been notamed closed, but it should be open soon.

The new Legoland park in Orange County NY is about a 15 minute drive from Randall airport.
Just got back from Legoland last week. My recommendation would be to wait a year for them to iron out a few of the remaining kinks. We were going to fly but ended up driving, so I can’t give a pirep on transportation from the nearby airports.

No specific recommendations for the area, but don't overlook simple destinations and activities. Even a playground with different equipment than their normal playground is exciting for a 5 year old. Or just having a picnic in the grass near the runway.

I just realized something - he loves Air Tractors but it is hard to find one around me.
Americus GA has a service business for Air Tractors. Nice airport and kind of a cool town.

By the way, the Nittany Antique Machinery Show is going on at Penns Cave this weekend. Old tractors, caves and animals…everything a 4 year old could love.

No specific recommendations for the area, but don't overlook simple destinations and activities. Even a playground with different equipment than their normal playground is exciting for a 5 year old. Or just having a picnic in the grass near the runway.

We do this a lot around my area. For example, N51 has a lot of hot air balloon activity as well as picnic tables. Can’t beat that!

I heard about it. I didn’t think about flying to it though. Good call out. (Have you gone?)

I heard about it. I didn’t think about flying to it though. Good call out. (Have you gone?)
Haven't gone (and don't have kids) but it looks like fun. I'd call Randall first and ask about ground transport - Uber and Lyft have been in short supply around here recently.

I was going to recommend GMU (Greenville SC) for their aviation-themed playground which is actually quite impressive. but GMU isn't on the coast.......

Back