Ppl checkride

Trcpilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Cjayfly1
Just finished my knowledge exam yesterday and passed with a decent score. I’m now looking into the process of preparing for the checkride practical and oral exam. Any recommendations on books I can use or programs that I need to look into. Also, let me know the process you took in order to be successful as well as some of the mistakes you may have encountered.

I used the private pilot oral exam guide from ASA and printed out the ACS. If I came across something I didn't understand, I went looking for information about that. My instructor also went through the ACS with me, quizzing me mercilessly. I'd figure out what questions you missed on the knowledge test and find the right answers to those.

Ask your cfi what it is you seem to forget to do before manuevers or before takeoff/landing. The day before my Checkride I forgot the fuel pump switch on the warrior. Guess what I forgot on Checkride day? I get teased about that 8 years later he still can't believe I forgot to do that. Don't takeoff in a hurry. The dpe is your first passenger no need to impress with how fast you can do checklists

Do a “mock” checkride (ground and flight, don’t scrimp on the ground part) with another CFI.

They should be able to spot little things that your normal CFI may be overlooking.

If it’s one you’ve never dealt with before, all the better. Might help reduce the anxiety of flying with someone you’ve never flown with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TAKE YOUR TIME !!

On the oral don't just spit out the first thing that comes to mind. Stop and think just a second or two.
On the flight portion take your time on the preflight, on the run up etc. When you are setting up for the next maneuver take your time make sure you do clearing turns.

Study the ACS know what you are supposed to know its all printed in black and white.

Have fun and oh yeah take your time its not a race.

Get with your CFI for a mock oral and mock checkride flight.
Get with your CFI to discuss questions missed on the written.
Get with your CFI to organize the aircraft logs, tab out relevant sections
Get with your CFI.... you see the theme, here??

Also - Study the ACS and know what will be covered in the oral portion. Study the ACS to know what will be covered in the flying portion.
Tab out your logbook to show you have the appropriate hours/endorsements.
Be organized. DPEs like it when candidates are organized. Get all of your forms, logbooks, aeroplane logs, etc. organized beforehand.
I liked this book to refresh my memory of areas from the FAR/AIM and other pubs - https://www.amazon.com/Private-Pilo...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1631215530&sr=8-3

Some tips - you don't know more than the DPE. You just don't. If you answer a question and the DPE questions it or gives you more information on it... don't argue. Listen. Learn. I learned a lot during my oral for private. I took notes. I listened. I didn't push back. I think the DPE appreciate that. Also - don't try to BS the DPE. If you don't know, ask if you can look up the answer IF you know where to find it in the FAR/AIM. If you don't know and you really don't know where to find the answer... just admit it. You probably won't fail because of one missed question. Just be honest. BSing the DPE is not a good idea.

And relax! If you CFI signs you off for checkride, it means you are ready. So study, but don't cram. Be confident, but not cocky. Always be learning. And have fun! When you get that handshake after getting back to the ramp, it's moment you will not forget.

Thank you all for the pointers. I jus purchased the king school private pilot check ride prep and drove up to idk airport for the oral exam booklet for asa. Im nervous but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

When you CFI signs you off you are ready so also consider possible roadblocks or things not to do:

1.) DPE availability. In some areas it can be a few months. Then what do you do? Keep flying. Leave the "I'm gonna pass in 40.1hrs goal behind".
2.) Airplane stuff - it goes down right before your ride - hopefully there are similar ones
3.) Airplane paperwork - if this is a large school and lots of rides its probably okay. If this is a sleep airport, check the logs and stuff now
4.) IACRA - have as much as ready as you can in advance - starts things off as smooth as possible
5.) Generally DO NOT ask the DPE a question until he signs you off.

I was waiting on my DPE for the checkride, partly due to backlog and partly due to winter wx. So I would go up and just fly solo and do what my CFI said the checkride would be like. I had a checklist. Started with thorough pre-flight. The plan for the cross country, pre-configure any NAV/COMM prior to take off. Depart - usually a specialty takeoff to save time, clear the pattern altitude, on course, track and spot at least 2 checkpoints and times. Then divert. Be able to use the chart to estimate distance, course, time and fuel needed. Then track a VOR. Couldn't really simulate unusual attitudes but you can set it up and recover. DID NOT simulate foggles to a VOR. Then slow flight, stalls, steep turns, s-turns. I would then always practice a engine out. Then a engine fire (got both of those). Then come back and do one each specialty landing, speciality takeoff and a go around.

For some reason those solo practice sessions would take about 90min. I think the checkride was closer to an hour as the DPE compressed them more efficiently. Doing that about once a week or after OVC finally broke kept me "ready" through all the delays. For me it was a more active way to wait than book studying only.

I would ask a few other pilots to quiz you on stuff like airspace, wx, and the FAR's. My wife is a pilot so she would quiz me on the FAR's and wx. There is always a pilot around that is a total expert on something. We have one at our little airport that knows airspace to perfection. He was nice to have challenge with questions, etc.

Don't ever be afraid to go around. You have to demonstrate one anyways :)

Back