So what is 6 more than a B-17....

To be a B-23 is:

Douglas bomber version of DC-3 named the “Dragon”.

Howard Hughes personal aircraft.

White , blue , grey livery of the General Electric pre biz jet exec fleet.

Aircraft NOT selected for Doolittle raid as wingspan too long got carriers.

“ Test Mule” for R-3350 with turbo in B-29 development.

Wiki article on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_B-23_Dragon. There are a few in museums.

Dave

Enjoy! I have a very pleasant 1/2 hour in a Sundowner in my logbook. Solid airplanes and roomy!

We just put a new GNC255 NAVCOM in the #2 hole in the Mooney, slick little radio that sounds great!

View attachment 99850
I'm sure that snazzy audio panel helps with the sound quality, too.

BTW, what is that leather-like texture covering your panel?

I'm sure that snazzy audio panel helps with the sound quality, too.

BTW, what is that leather-like texture covering your panel?

So, the original scope of work was to replace the HSI/AI with a pair of GI275's, and replace the old KNS80/KY197 with the GNC255. Once the shop had it all apart, we made an audible and decided to spring for the new audio panel while we were in there. And with that, he ran all new wiring between the radios and the new panel. So yes, no doubt, it helped!

It was one of those buy once, cry once moments. Now we're all set up to either do the IFD440 swap or go big and do a GTN650Xi in the next few years.

Oh, the leather look? Have no idea, the panel was covered with that finish when we bought the plane, and is quite likely OEM.

We just put a new GNC255 NAVCOM in the #2 hole in the Mooney, slick little radio that sounds great!

View attachment 99850

Yep, I put in a GTR 225 last year, lot of improvement for not that much $$. Love the standby monitoring and built-in intercom. Panel space is a constraint on my plane, so not needing an audio panel was a big plus. I don't use the fancy database like I thought I would, but not having a GPS source limits the utility.

New Panel.jpg

Is it local?
It was many years ago. I got checked out in it (a club plane) right after I finished my PPL and another member promptly totaled it by running off the runway at Massey Airpark attempting to get cheap gas.

It was many years ago. I got checked out in it (a club plane) right after I finished my PPL and another member promptly totaled it by running off the runway at Massey Airpark attempting to get cheap gas.

Wow, that’s a shame.

Until now, I’d been renting from First Landings at Apopka. A few weeks ago, someone wrecked my rental Warrior the same way. Ran off the end of the runway into a fence. (I think it was at Umatilla.) Last I knew they were talking with the insurance company and trying to decide whether it was totaled.

Last edited:
I’m flying with Orlando-Sanford Flying club now. They’ve got a twin so I’m planning to get that rating.
The Sundowner was part of CAP Flying who eventually went belly up around 2008-2009.

Back