How do you haul your mogas to the aircraft / hangar?

Most airports will, for obvious safety reasons........ prohibit storage of more than small quantities of fuel

Does that include the 50 gallons stored in the wings of your airplane?

I guess this might get some attention. My first job with a W2 was in high school, going from from farm to farm and painting these. Summer, hot, humid, half had wasps and yellow jackets, all need scraping, priming (probably lead paint), and painting, and boss man wanted 10 done a day. The boss was a cigar chomping crusty old guy whose practiced MBYI - management by yelling and intimidation. One time was special when the tank was so rusted it started leaking.

Oh yeah, good times

13-stand_3.jpg

Last edited:
I don't use MoGas, but I've seen things similar to this in the past and thought them to be clever.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stark-35...-Capacity-with-Rotary-Pump-and-Hose/100299583
I have one that shares many of the same parts (everything but different wheels). The pump leaks a bit, is sometimes rough, but overall it works well. I have investigated getting a better pump, but I think I would need to weld on a new fitting as the threads may be an odd size. That would obviously require a complete empty, clean, water fill, etc. which I don't have time for, so I just keep using it. It would be great with a better pump that is more durable and smoother. Mine was only $159 or so.

Do check your local fire safety codes concerning fuel storage and fueling. Most airports will, for obvious safety reasons, prohibit fueling inside hangars, and prohibit storage of more than small quantities of fuel. Also be aware of proper fueling procedures, including charge dissipation ("grounding") during fueling. Plastic containers are good insulators, and can build up significant static charge during fuel transfer. Metal fuel containers are preferable for transferring liquid flammables, as they are easy to dissipate static from, but plastic seems to rule the day now for gasoline containers. It is not permissible to store or transfer flammable solvents in any kind of plastic container in a laboratory setting, for good reason.

Yes, just checked local airport regs KHGR. They only allow 5 gallons in the hangar at any time. As someone suggested earlier, that doesn't include the 31 gallons in the aircraft. You gotta love common sense :)

I've been using six 2.5 gallon NO SPILL cans since 2013 to haul the best mogas I can get in my parts: 91 octane E10. 2.5 gallons is easier to haul up a ladder for my high-wing.

I guess this might get some attention. My first job with a W2 was in high school, going from from farm to farm and painting these. Summer, hot, humid, half had wasps and yellow jackets, all need scraping, priming (probably lead paint), and painting, and boss man wanted 10 done a day. The boss was a cigar chomping crusty old guy whose practiced MBYI - management by yelling and intimidation. One time was special when the tank was so rusted it started leaking.

Oh yeah, good times

13-stand_3.jpg

That is insane, 10 a day. I don't see how anyone could prep and paint 10 of those in a day even if you did them all at the same time with no travel time.

We paint tanks also during the summer in our business. If I asked a guy to paint 10 a day they would quit and I wouldn't blame them.

8.jpg
I removed the anti siphon valve from car, bought a 12V transfer pump from farm supply store, and pump right from car to Cessna 172. It pumps about 3 gal/minute and has inline filter. Mostly use ethanol 85 octane from station a block from airport gate. Station also has non ethanol but I use the plane enough to not worry about it going bad. The SUV tank holds 23 gallons which is plenty to fill a C172. The FBO fuel truck driver gives me a bad look occasionally. Also, many airports have ethanol gas pumps on field for ground equipment, but their hose may not be long enough to reach the wing fill caps.

I put a photo of our fuel truck/SUV in action on our website www.corsairv8.com. The pump came complete with even a standard gas pump handle. The hose has a metal spiral wire that grounds the metal handle (contacting the plane) and entire system with a clamp that I connect to car chassis. Works better than gas cans.

Last edited:
I’m not very smart. Can someone explain the noun “W2” to me?

IRS form W2... generally means being a real employee, not under the table or ....

We’re based at KHGR in Hagerstown and they only allow 5 gallons in an approved steel container in the hangars. We plan on bringing an ethanol free fuel called “Swift fuel” in a caddy to our hangar every time to fill up.

We’re based at KHGR in Hagerstown and they only allow 5 gallons in an approved steel container in the hangars. We plan on bringing an ethanol free fuel called “Swift fuel” in a caddy to our hangar every time to fill up.

We must be neighbors. I'll be on 06-I in a few weeks. Where are you getting your fuel locally?

Oh yeah, good times

13-stand_3.jpg

But you also readily gloss over the jabroni with 20+ plastic 5 gallon containers or worse, some random large vessel that is unvented and has no easy fill/dispense method and spills gasoline everywhere.

Airport owners are not going to want to get into the fuel storage approval business and accept the liability.

Every wonder why a fuel farm is big and expensive? Safety, yo.

If you are burning fuel with ethanol make sure it’s fresh. You really don’t want to fly with it if it’s more than 30 days old.

Looks like I added 5 fresh gallons (most likely E-10) on top of the 5 (most likely E-10) that were already in my right tank during the 4th of July weekend. Yesterday, took my oldest for a ride using the right tank (ain't flown much this summer for a combination of reasons). Departing 22 from ONZ puts you over the water (Lake Erie) at the far end of the runway.
We had a nice ride.

I am glad it worked ok for you and your child. One day it might not. Avgas is blended to remain stable for at least a year. Auto gas for a month. Phase separation is also a issue with ethanol.

Last edited:
I am glad it worked ok for you and your child. One day it might not. Avgas is blended to remain stable for at least a year. Auto gas for a month. Phase separation is also a issue with ethanol.
Never ever had a problem in the last 11 years. Used to sit a lot, particularly in the winter until I added a heater.
Phase separation takes a fair bit of water. How often does it happen in your car?

Last edited:
My car never sits for long periods and frankly if the engine quits I can pull over. Car fuel systems are also substantially different than aircraft and don’t need near the venting capabilities. Venting is why condensation is a issue in aircraft tanks. There are accident reports full of issues caused by both old auto fuel, winter blend fuel used on hot days and water. I am sure you can probably fly the rest of your life and not have a issue. It’s not working out for everyone. The recommendation if using auto blend fuels us to keep them fresh. They also recommend non instrument rated pilots don’t fly in marginal weather. Both are good advice.
From Rotex:
Where to buy

It is recommended to buy gas at the busier gas stations of the major oil companies, since their tanks are renewed often allowing the fuel to stay fresh and clean.

Aviation Fuels

It is possible but not recommended to use 100LL AVGAS, since the the lead content is like cholesterol to your engine: it will accelerate wear on the valve seats, create deposits in the combustion chamber and sediments in the lubrication system and gearbox. Increased maintenance is necessary to compensate. Unlike “conventional” aircraft engines, lead is absolutely not essential to the proper lubrication and operation of a Rotax 4-stroke aircraft engine. The increased octane rating also has no marked advantage for the operation of your engine.

To be avoided:

• “Regular” fuel except if used in the 912 A/F/UL and burned entirely on the day of purchase;
  • “Premium” fuel which is more than 3 weeks old
  • AVGAS except when the required automotive fuel is not available

If you are burning fuel with ethanol make sure it’s fresh. You really don’t want to fly with it if it’s more than 30 days old.

This is fiction.

Ok, the guys who actually make it and market it plus the engine manufactures disagree.

Consider purchasing a 'transfer tank' for the pickup. They make versions that look like a toolbox with the hose and pump under a lockable lid. Below 110gal you don't need a hazmat placard (and CDL) . Check into state law on the legality of using one. They are very common in farming areas. Make sure it's DOT approved for gasoline and has the proper rollover safe vent.

I toyed with this idea, but walked away. Even the smallest tank would have leave me with too much fuel that has the potential to loose its potency before Id use it. So in the end I use 5 gallon cans and a siphon system. It quick and easy. My plane has 39 gallon tanks, its usually only a top off and i only need 10-15 gallons. I keep it topped at between 25-30 gallons. This works for me.

Back