Calling all Videographers. Equipment Question

Arnold

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Arnold
I have one of these for recording youth soccer matches: https://www.veo.co/us/camera/

I am wondering the following:

1) Would this be suitable for mounting beneath Lady Luscombe (LL) and panoramic recording?
If so any mounting hints or tips?

2) Is there adequate post production stabilization software.

3) Note that with the upgraded engine LL is running very smoothly.

Can you even get access to the raw video? It seems that a subscription is required but maybe you can also take the raw files off somehow?

I haven't edited much video that has lots of shake but in the few cases I have tried (Adobe) I never really liked it that much. In lens (mechanical) stabilization and/or mechanical IBIS (in body stabilization) are usually the best. In camera digital stabilization has come a long ways too. Maybe if you can get that big camera mounted almost snug to the airframe you can get rid of the large shaking. If you have a way to dump the video and mount it reliably why not just try it once. Or better yet, try it with you car first.

Interesting camera idea though. Built for a specific purpose and all the backend support already in place.

That looks like a camera optimized for things other than flying. And at 2#, it's a bit heavy to hang on the outside of a plane without careful thought to the mounting.

Gopros and their clones are a lot lighter, and the newer models have excellent in-camera image stabilization.

Can you even get access to the raw video? It seems that a subscription is required but maybe you can also take the raw files off somehow?

I haven't edited much video that has lots of shake but in the few cases I have tried (Adobe) I never really liked it that much. In lens (mechanical) stabilization and/or mechanical IBIS (in body stabilization) are usually the best. In camera digital stabilization has come a long ways too. Maybe if you can get that big camera mounted almost snug to the airframe you can get rid of the large shaking. If you have a way to dump the video and mount it reliably why not just try it once. Or better yet, try it with you car first.

Interesting camera idea though. Built for a specific purpose and all the backend support already in place.

Good suggestions.

That looks like a camera optimized for things other than flying. And at 2#, it's a bit heavy to hang on the outside of a plane without careful thought to the mounting.

Gopros and their clones are a lot lighter, and the newer models have excellent in-camera image stabilization.

True enough. I'm just trying to avoid buying additional devices.

Pick up a 360 video camera that is an all in one unit with two lenses mounted front and back. They are very small and will not present much wind resistance on an external mount. They are at different price points, but the Theta from Ricoh that runs about $1k probably has the best quality output. Edit in DaVinci Resolve. Pay for the studio version, it's cheap as far as video software goes and the upgrades have always been free, and they provide lots of free online training.

Pick up a 360 video camera that is an all in one unit with two lenses mounted front and back. They are very small and will not present much wind resistance on an external mount. They are at different price points, but the Theta from Ricoh that runs about $1k probably has the best quality output. Edit in DaVinci Resolve. Pay for the studio version, it's cheap as far as video software goes and the upgrades have always been free, and they provide lots of free online training.

Thanks.

I would go with a few GoPros. Those have electronic stabilization and it seems to work very well. Also consider drones if you only need 400 feet altitude or less. Those have mechanical stabilization and excellent video quality. Some of the midrange drones can do 35 minutes or so before needing new batteries. Davinci looks like the best editing software but has a high learning curve because of the many options. Many people just use the free version.

…..Edit in DaVinci Resolve. Pay for the studio version, it's cheap as far as video software goes and the upgrades have always been free, and they provide lots of free online training.

…..Davinci looks like the best editing software but has a high learning curve because of the many options. Many people just use the free version.

[7500]
I’m amazed at what the free version of resolve can do. And yes, I felt like it was a steep learning curve even for the basic stuff I do. Question is, what additional features do you get with the paid version?
[/7500]

I’m amazed at what the free version of resolve can do. And yes, I felt like it was a steep learning curve even for the basic stuff I do. Question is, what additional features do you get with the paid version?
Ive used the free version, now switched to the paid “Studio” version….

For casual video editing, probably won’t notice the difference. It does everything a casual home movie or YouTube channel video would need. Can do full editing, color correction , blur faces/logos with motion tracking, etc.

Only a few things I’ve found require the paid, such as the video Noise Reduction (which to be honest doesn’t really work great, anyways)

by comparison, I used to pay the ~ $100 for Vegas Pro editor, but Resolve free version does everything that I was using Vegas for.

[7500]
[/7500]
For around $315, you can get the professional version plus an DaVinci Speed Editor pad. The editor pad plugs into the PC and speeds up the editing process with a lot of short cut buttons and . The professional version is supposed to work faster, have more features, and use computer power more efficiently. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used...xnvIjc-HDgFDriy_iypu2nwLj-rLgfrRoCwXAQAvD_BwE

The functionality of the free version is a moving target, often tied to resolution and codecs support. At some point you might want to do something and find out that it is only in the paid version. Why use Resolve vs. other video software? Cost aside, time is saved by not having to learn another package in the future as might happen with Vegas. Resolve is platform agnostic. Very popular so it has great industry support if you need help on a project. Resolve on a Mac mini M1 is reported to have great performance. I run an Intel system with a pair of GTX 1070Ti cards and 32 GB of RAM. If I was using a Mac I'd get the M1.

Back