Suggestions for a stopover western Mississippi state ?

CarlinNH

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CarlinNH
Hi all:

I am planning a trip east to west and will need to stop for the night somewhere in western Mississippi.

I am crossing the Appalachians just to the north of Atlanta heading southwest to Texas, and so Jackson area is convenient to my planned route of flight.

I am considering going into Hawkins field (KHKS), but I am open to suggestions for other places within the general vicinity (maybe 100 miles north or south) of Jackson MS. I will not have time for local sightseeing other than from the air the next day, and really just would like a hassle-free experience for fuel/accommodations/food for the night.

Thanks for suggestions.

Natchez is a neat place to visit. We held our Navion convention there a few years back (and the regional SW navion group has held events there as well).

Last edited:
The folks at Olive Branch (OLV, in the northwest corner of the state, under a shelf of the Memphis Class B) are very friendly and helpful. There is a nice Fairfield Inn at the southwest corner of the airport, 1.5 miles by road from the terminal.

Welcome- I notice this is your first post.
Consider KUOX, Oxford, MS, $25 FBO, waived with parking ($40), both waived with fuel.
https://airport.olemiss.edu/
I generally use the hotels on Ed Perry Drive across from the convention center. Other hotels are about 2 miles away (Courtyard by Marriott, the Inn at Ole Miss).

Thank you for the great suggestions all ! Trip is planned for over a month from now -- if I do it, I will update this thread with my actual experience.

Cheers.

Greenville and/or Natchez have worked well for me. Greenwood, too.

Between Hawkins and Olive Branch, I'd go for Olive Branch. I've been to both, I've rested overnight at OLV.

Meridian Key Field is a great stop. Navy jets in and out a lot. Complimentary ice cream, hot dogs, popcorn.

Can easily be a 50+ cent swing in fuel prices. I realize you may want a few services, hotel, whatever. I have to always put the fuel price in the mix.

UOX if you want really good food options, just make sure it’s not on a game day.

Welcome- I notice this is your first post.
Consider KUOX, Oxford, MS, $25 FBO, waived with parking ($40), both waived with fuel.
https://airport.olemiss.edu/
I generally use the hotels on Ed Perry Drive across from the convention center. Other hotels are about 2 miles away (Courtyard by Marriott, the Inn at Ole Miss).

College towns are usually a good choice, especially in SEC country. Plenty of excess hotel capacity for game day, good food, and reliable Uber/Lyft. Though I almost put myself in the hospital riding one of those battery powered scooters in Fayetteville ARK.

TRIP REPORT:

So, I made the trip and settled on Natchez for my overnight stay, but the Weather Gods laughed at my puny plans. I had to abort my trip that day and diverted to spend the night in Covington, just east of Atlanta -- which turned out to be a very nice airport and which I have no qualms about recommending.

I did make Natchez my fuel stop the next day which was a gorgeous CAVU October day. The FBO is housed in a quaint building, and FBO staff was helpful. There is no separate flight planning computer, but they did give me access to their own.

KHEZ-Snapshot.JPG

On my return trip I made my fuel stop in Mississippi as well, but at Clark County airport (23M), which has the cheapest fuel around -- although I mostly picked it due to convenience to my flight path and time.

Thanks all for your previous input.

Back