Commercial Pilot Sanity Check

Craig Hawks

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Hawkeye
I'm a retired engineer, 68 years old, and have been bitten by the flying bug. However, I'm also a planner. So, starting at zero and my goal is to get to Commercial Pilot with the aim of making this hobby eventually pay for itself via paid flights. Is my goal reasonable? I've already passed my medical. Are part-time pilot jobs plentiful (or do they even exist) for newly minted, but old, pilots? Please coach me up on the things I'm missing in my quest. Thank you in advance!

Have you thought about instructing.??

Not many flight companies will want to invest a lot in a pilot just for part time work, but instructing can be part time.

Passing the medical is the first step.

eventually pay for itself

Eventually pay for the ongoing costs of flying, or eventually recoup the costs of training? I’m sure others will correct me (I’m no professional pilot) but my understanding is that given your circumstances, the first is possible (but likely only just, via instructing etc) and the second is almost certainly not.

I'm a retired engineer, 68 years old, and have been bitten by the flying bug. However, I'm also a planner. So, starting at zero and my goal is to get to Commercial Pilot with the aim of making this hobby eventually pay for itself via paid flights. Is my goal reasonable? I've already passed my medical. Are part-time pilot jobs plentiful (or do they even exist) for newly minted, but old, pilots? Please coach me up on the things I'm missing in my quest. Thank you in advance!

You are 10 years too late in your planning. Age lengthens the learning time, low time commercial pilots are in low demand. Old low time commercial pilots are in even less demand. Obtaining an instructor certificate puts you at 72 with low time.

You would be better off with a part time engineering job to pay for the flying.

Last edited:
I’m just about 50, recently passed my Commercial and I don’t think I could recoup all the costs at all. I am pursuing my CFI, but the demand for part time CPLs is rather low. Sure, I might get the occasional “please fly my airplane an hour away for something”, but it is not something I would start from scratch for.

Thank you all for the Reality Check!! Much appreciate! I'll let you know how my quest plays out.

We had a friend who sort of had the same urge but he was in his late 50's at the time. He made it to a regional and then was existing in the life of a 24 year old, on the road, on call, living in motels, crap pay. Eventually he stopped updating us and I haven't heard from him in about 15 years.

We had a friend who sort of had the same urge but he was in his late 50's at the time. He made it to a regional and then was existing in the life of a 24 year old, on the road, on call, living in motels, crap pay. Eventually he stopped updating us and I haven't heard from him in about 15 years.
Life is a little better in the regionals these days but it's still a young persons game. Occasionally you see folks in their 50s-early 60s go into the regions knowing they'll retire at 65 in a CRJ. But they've got to stick it out for a couple years on crap schedules until they have some seniority, which thankfully doesn't take too long when the mainline carriers are hurting for pilots too.

what a drag it is getting old ..... but then the definition of "old" is changing ..... unless you are FAA and capped at 65 (spring chicken).

what a drag it is getting old ..... but then the definition of "old" is changing ..... unless you are FAA and capped at 65 (spring chicken).
Hopefully it stays that way. Never should have changed from 60.

to the op. Set whatever goals you want for ****s and grins. Don’t think you’ll ever make the money back. But it will much easier to die flush with the house if that’s your goal. It’s my goal…

You would be better off with a part time engineering job to pay for the flying.

I told my husband about this thread and he said, no, you’d make more money delivering pizza than flying. Engineering consultant might be preferable to pizza delivery “boy” though.

to the op. Set whatever goals you want for ****s and grins. Don’t think you’ll ever make the money back. But it will much easier to die flush with the house if that’s your goal. It’s my goal…

This! Do it. But do it for fun, don’t expect it to ever pay for itself.

I'm officially a senior citizen (how the h.e.double toothpicks did that happen so fast?). Started flying as a self-assigned goal I'd had since childhood and earned my private at 32...IRA at 33...CML at 44...CFI at 45. Lots of life in between; probably could have cratered my career in IT and gone deep into debt at 33 and earned a seat in my mid-30s, but, again, life got in the way. I've maintained my certs, keep current, and, when I finally say 'to heck' with the 9-5 life and pull the pin on the 'official' career...FBOs in both locations I live in have expressed interest in giving me a desk and list of students who they can't handle because the carriers are hoovering up the young bucks who've patiently waited to get the call back over the last couple years.

I've found that, of all the ratings, the CFI, while did not pay the mortgage or bills, did provide a steady (even if part-time) source of extra cash to fund my own airplane, take a nice vacation in said plane every year, and in between, I got paid to put hours in my log and pass on the love of the aviation art, and sign off a few (over 30 at this point) pilots (including two that went on to serve our country as Naval Aviators after graduating from the Academy...). There is a certain satisfaction in that...don't discount the honor of being a flight instructor who's not focused on padding the log to make them more desirable for a regional seat. Oh, you might not get that turbine ride (or may, who knows who you will come across that will want you to do that...), but, in the end, if you're serious and focused on both being the best pilot you can be AND willing to share that knowledge with others...the effect you will have on the profession will last long after you hang up the keys and shut the door for the last time.

Good luck in whatever path you choose; do it for your own reasons, but do it the best you can!

I just realized that when I started flying professionally retirement age for airline pilots was 60. In the 80's and 90's I worked for a corporation that did retire the pilots at 60. I will 60 in less than 4 months and hope to put in a few more years. The years say I am getting old but I do not feel like it.

Private through CFI might cost you about $50k and two years. Those are low balls. If you work as a full time CFI making $20k/year, living on vending machine food, you can technically make that money back in 2-3 years. But that is a rough way to live at your age. Flying around the traffic pattern repeatedly chanting more right rudder gets old very fast. You'll have to put up with bad attitudes, lazy students and dangerous students. Once in a while you'll get to do some interesting stuff. Most of the full time CFI's I know of can't wait to move on.

I got my CFI when I was relatively young, 20 years ago. I have a blast, because I pick and choose who I fly with. Calling it a part-time job would be an overstatement. I never made my flight training expenses back, nor was it my intention.

The big picture…. Many new pilots think the CP grade certificate is the entrance to a pilot job. True for a CFI, pipleline, jump pilot…
But if you want to advance to “true” commercial aviation you will need the grade above Commercial. You will need the Airline Transport grade certificate to be considered for most right seat jobs. I’m sure there are a few menial positions out there that will hire a CP, but you really need the ATP to get a decent job.
That’s not just training, and that’s why flight schools don’t advertise it. You need experience to get it. Probably a couple of years after CFI.

With insurances setting high mins, most of your options will be sky diving, aerial survey, scenic tours, etc. you may get lucky and find a part 91 operation to sit right seat. Network and talk to the right people and you can make it happen. Good luck!

Back