How to check status of denial appeal

Sam Gordon

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
SamG
Back in July I went for my 3rd class exam. It was discovered I was diabetic. A couple of weeks later, I get the denial letter from the FAA and an address to appeal the denial. In between those dates, I had gone to the doctor, gotten on medication and started eating better.

I got a form from my doctor listing the medication (metformin), dosage, and what the new blood sugar levels were (a month later, including a new A1C). I sent that all back to the FAA with a request for a special issuance. I sent it certified, so I know it was received on 8/10.

I know it's been less than a month, but (according to the CFI I flew with last night) I'm apparently on the verge of soloing, which I know I can't do without the medical.

TL;DR: How can I check to see what the status of the appeal is? Is there a way? Any other suggestions?

There are two distinct things here. Appealing a denial is different than showing you now meet the requirements for a special issuance. You have no real basis to appeal. The FAA was 100% correct in denying a medical to an untreated diabetic.

What you should be doing in reapplying. When you say "my doctor" in all this process have you gone back to the AME? He should be spearheading an SI. You won't get it via the appeal process.

There are two distinct things here. Appealing a denial is different than showing you now meet the requirements for a special issuance. You have no real basis to appeal. The FAA was 100% correct in denying a medical to an untreated diabetic.

What you should be doing in reapplying. When you say "my doctor" in all this process have you gone back to the AME? He should be spearheading an SI. You won't get it via the appeal process.
I went to the AME, found out about the diabetes, then went to my doctor for treatment. The AME told me during the exam that I'd be getting a letter from the FAA with the denial and then follow what it says. Are you saying I should go back to the AME now? Sorry, I'm confused. Do I do a new medical form with the diabetes information?

ETA: The letter I got from the FAA says the denial "is subject to reconsideration... a request for reconsideration may be made by submitting a written request... " So that's what I did (or thought I did).

Call the FAA Medical Desk at 405-954-4821 to find out your status and that they are processing your paperwork. I do not know what the FAA Medical back log is but I am guessing you will not get a formal reply for 2-3 months. Google "FAA Diabetes" to learn more and compare your results with the requirements. A good AME will be helping you with this and should know the requirements.

Call the FAA Medical Desk at 405-954-4821 to find out your status and that they are processing your paperwork. I do not know what the FAA Medical back log is but I am guessing you will not get a formal reply for 2-3 months. Google "FAA Diabetes" to learn more and compare your results with the requirements. A good AME will be helping you with this and should know the requirements.

This. You’re going to have to give up the idea of soloing any time soon. :( I think you did the right thing though, I got a letter like that and I sent the stuff directly back to the FAA because that’s what they said to do in the letter. Didn’t go back to my AME. I can’t remember how long it took after that but that was many years ago, delays are longer now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back