Do I Need a Tug for a 182RG?

Derald Madson

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
dmadson3
I am in the process of purchasing a 182RG. I was wondering if anyone has had success pushing them by hand? I've always used the FBO's golf cart until this point and anytime I've tried to give it a shove (sorta hard but not killing myself) I haven't gotten it to budge. I'm in descent shape and not a stranger to the gym. I can always use the golf cart during the daytime weekdays, but my question is: will i need a tug to hanger the aircraft or take it out if I plan on flying at night or when the FBO is closed?

If you're pushing it on a flat surface, no. If you're going to need to push it up a slope or over any kind of "thresholds" or "lips" at the entrance to a hangar, then probably you will unless you always have two people to push with. I think the 182RG I used to fly had 75 gallon tanks....full tanks made a significant difference in the difficulty of pushing that machine around. It has been 16 years since I've flown a 182RG though (current 182B share owner). Another thing that can make a surprising difference is air pressure in your tires. The lower it is, the harder it becomes to push. Keep them inflated at the max specified PSI for easy pushing, as long as you're not taking off and landing from soft fields.

I had a 182RG for 15 years. At one point I got a Robo-Tug. Didn't use it too much though. It was easier just to push/pull by hand. Make sure your tires are properly inflated. If they're down just a little, it makes it MUCH harder to push.

And I'm 6'5" and 225lb. So that helps too.

I owned a 182RG for twenty years and just pushed/pulled by hand. The main tire inflation is 65 PSI and the tires are rather low friction. If you have a grade to deal with it will become more difficult.

I have a 182RG and a slight incline into my hangar. Full tanks (88 gallons) makes it a challenge, especially if that right main gets in the dip in the hangar floor. I know a guy who uses a tug with an easier push than me, so I’d say it will definitely depend on your hangar and how much you are willing to push.

Honestly, the bigger concern I have is the tail low stance and jamming the elevator into the ground from pushing it backwards. I would just get the plane and try pushing it in and out a few times before deciding on a tug.

Our club has a 182rg that is kept in a hangar. There's a gas powered tug, I used it once and never again.. it isn't that hard to push/pull and not worth the effort of maneuvering the tug into place, starting it, hooking it up, and all that nonsense

PS - for all the high-end and novelty stuff that sporty's and various other people supply for our planes I am surprised nobody has made an electric automated Roomba-esq laser-guided tug yet for hangers..

When I got my R182 “RG” I was parked on the ramp and didn’t need a tug. Once I got a hangar, it became too difficult for me to push uphill into the hangar, so I found a used tug which makes it much easier. Without the tug it took 100% of my effort to get it in the hangar.

Where are you at? I have a tug that came with my RG that i'd be willing to part with.

I agree with what everyone has posted- I used to push/pull the 182RG and on flat it was never a problem- heavy but totally doable by hand. As soon as there was any uphill grade involved it took a lot of effort (I am 6' 2"/200)- but I was always able to do it by hand. Though it was hard enough that if I pushed it into the spot crooked it stayed crooked.

Congrats on your 'baby 210' !

I am in the process of purchasing a 182RG. I was wondering if anyone has had success pushing them by hand? I've always used the FBO's golf cart until this point and anytime I've tried to give it a shove (sorta hard but not killing myself) I haven't gotten it to budge. I'm in descent shape and not a stranger to the gym. I can always use the golf cart during the daytime weekdays, but my question is: will i need a tug to hanger the aircraft or take it out if I plan on flying at night or when the FBO is closed?

I think you will need one eventually? Like said it depends on the approach to your hangar. It also depends how old and what kind of shape you are in.

Mine has a very slight grade to keep the water out and it takes all I have to get enough speed to get over the raised floor in my hangar for my 172. A 182 is heavier and I would be looking for one.

I had some surgery a few years ago, said no physical activity for 6 months. I asked my wife to help push the plane into the hangar. It only took about 3 times and she was on board with a tug. Best tool I have now for my plane.

If you're pushing it on a flat surface, no. If you're going to need to push it up a slope or over any kind of "thresholds" or "lips" at the entrance to a hangar, then probably you will unless you always have two people to push with. I think the 182RG I used to fly had 75 gallon tanks....full tanks made a significant difference in the difficulty of pushing that machine around. It has been 16 years since I've flown a 182RG though (current 182B share owner). Another thing that can make a surprising difference is air pressure in your tires. The lower it is, the harder it becomes to push. Keep them inflated at the max specified PSI for easy pushing, as long as you're not taking off and landing from soft fields.
I agree that tire pressure makes a big difference so I over inflate by 5 PSI or more so I can hand push my C-210. I find no problem in over inflating. The cost of greater wear in the center is easily offset by avoiding the cost of a tug. And over inflated tires reduce takeoff run. However, pushing a plane on grass is really difficult.

I have found it difficult to push my bonanza into the hangar, especially with full tanks. There is a slight grade which makes it more challenging. I am concerned about this winter with the ice. I am definitely looking into a powered tow bar.

I have found it difficult to push my bonanza into the hangar, especially with full tanks. There is a slight grade which makes it more challenging. I am concerned about this winter with the ice. I am definitely looking into a powered tow bar.
I don't need to worry about ice in pushing my C-210 at home base hangar (AZ highlands) but since my winter destinations are mostly to ski country this could be a problem especially if tie downs are not taxi through. But a powered tow bar isn't something practical to carry in the plane so I just exercise my legs more with weights.

At the age of 76, I'm finding it far more difficult to push a fixed-gear 182 than I used to.

Back