Question for Controllers

birdus

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Williams
If I want to come in and land, when I first call you, is it adequate to say:

Tacoma Tower, Luscombe 1-8-1-3-Kilo, 10 miles to the east at 2,000 with Quebec

If I include the weather, does that imply to you that I want to come in and land? I like to be concise. Do I need to say anything other than this? I'm guessing that it might be preferable to include something more at the end, such as "inbound for landing," but I don't know. I've had instances where this seemed adequate and others where it didn't. Should I always be explicit with wanting to land? What's the preferred phrase to use?

Last edited:
Inbound to land would be the default assumption unless you're flying an airplane that is known to be a training aircraft in the area.

If you want to make it clear, use something along these lines:

Tacoma Tower, Luscombe 1-8-1-3-Kilo, 10 east, landing with Quebec
Tacoma Tower, Luscombe 1-8-1-3-Kilo, 10 east, touch-and-goes with Quebec
Tacoma Tower, Luscombe 1-8-1-3-Kilo, 10 east, pattern work with Quebec
Tacoma Tower, Luscombe 1-8-1-3-Kilo, 10 east, 2,000, transition to [location/direction] with Quebec

Podunk Tower, Luscomb 1813Kilo 10 east with Quebec for landing. (or the option if that's what you want)

Who you are, where you are, what you want.

Last edited:
If I’m inbound and not doing pattern work or leaving, I usually throw in “full stop.” Simply stating “landing” isn’t very precise. A T&G is also a landing. Tell them what you actually want to do.

Always good to say what your intentions are. So in your case, what are you doing - landing, doing pattern work, transitioning, inbound for an IAP?

Podunk tower Cherokeee 12345 8 miles east inbound full stop with Quebec. Works every time.

If I want to come in and land, when I first call you, is it adequate to say:

Tacoma Tower, Luscombe 1-8-1-3-Kilo, 10 miles to the east at 2,000 with Quebec

If I include the weather, does that imply to you that I want to come in and land? I like to be concise. Do I need to say anything other than this? I'm guessing that it might be preferable to include something more at the end, such as "inbound for landing," but I don't know. I've had instances where this seemed adequate and others where it didn't. Should I always be explicit with wanting to land? What's the preferred phrase to use?
All of the above except that you should start it with Taco McNarrows Tower

Back