My New(ish) Ride

Shepherd

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Shepherd
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/daily-pic.54513/page-143#post-3138347

"Mother's Lament"
A 1948 Piper PA-17.
She has 85 raging horses, Cleveland toe brakes, and everything else is almost like it left the factory, including the single seat belt for both people. (That's going to change very soon). Frame up restoration in 1998?.
She has a climb prop and gets off the grass in @ 800 ft, at 2200 rpm she cruises at 80 mph, and 4.2 gph. At 2500 rpm she will do almost 90! Dizzying stuff.
I'm horse trading for a second (cruise) prop. I really want to be able to blast along at 95.

The fun is in the flying! Who cares about cutting down on the time you get to spend flying!

Nice airplane, by the way!

Wow, 20 more hp, that's a cross country machine, finally faster than the cars below! Nice, looks like fun.

That's a sharp looking plane... Congrats! Green Acres? Looks a little bit like, but many look similar.

The jump from 65 to 85 is not to be taken lightly. Hope getting slammed in the seat on take off doesn't scare you too much.

:D

Great name, congrats.

Shep, memories from the time when that plane was new!

Single seat belt for two? Yes, I have been restrained by one in a different model Piper. Two years before your plane was built.

Screaming through the air at 65 MPH, not knots.

I see the weight and balance is messed up on that otherwise beautiful Piper, and they put a wheel under the nose to keep from having prop strikes!

I have flown alongside one of those in a Cessna 150, 100 storming horses, but did not need to reduce power much to stay even. Those Pipers did very well with 65 HP. Since that took place in the early '80's, it might have been an 85 HP hot rod!

You should get many pleasant hours using the mark one eyeball for navigation, and the real horizon to keep the wings level.

That's a sharp looking plane... Congrats! Green Acres? Looks a little bit like, but many look similar.

The plane was at NK17, a beautiful grass strip on a private island in the Hudson river north of Albany. I could live there, it was so nice.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/daily-pic.54513/page-143#post-3138347

"Mother's Lament"
A 1948 Piper PA-17.
She has 85 raging horses, Cleveland toe brakes, and everything else is almost like it left the factory, including the single seat belt for both people. (That's going to change very soon). Frame up restoration in 1998?.
She has a climb prop and gets off the grass in @ 800 ft, at 2200 rpm she cruises at 80 mph, and 4.2 gph. At 2500 rpm she will do almost 90! Dizzying stuff.
I'm horse trading for a second (cruise) prop. I really want to be able to blast along at 95.
Whatcha doin with the old plane?

Nice Shepard, I bet you will have some fun flying locally. How is the heater? Does it have an electrical system?

Back