Instrument Check Ride Write Up

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
This used to be a thing on POA (The post checkride write up) so maybe if you are on short final for your IR perhaps this will be helpful.

I called the DPE a week before and was surprised that he pretty much showed me all his cards
"Here are the things we are going to cover in the oral."
"Here are the approaches we are going to do"

I was frantically taking notes and in the end, he didn't deviate from either.

ORAL PORTION
1. Review Logbook - logbook
2. Setup IACRA
3. Ensure - endorsed / qualified
4. Pay $700.00 Gulp...

Here are the questions he asked me:

Discuss privileges and limitations
As an instrument rated pilot, you may and may not do what things?

What are the currency requirements (6 HITS)?

Flight Planning
flight planning info to know before I go
asked me about the NW KRAFT acronym

Where do you get flight Planning information?

Where do you get updated information enroute?

What are weather mins for taking off?
There are NONE. Legally you can takeoff in zero zero under part 91
I got this wrong stating “Prescribed TO minimums for the runway. OR if none given, 1 SM viz.”
I kept seeing this in my studies but it is not for part 91

When is an alternate airport needed (1 2 3 Rule)?

Know Alternate minimums requirements.

Flight Plan Diversions and amendments
How do you change your destination enroute?
How do you change your alternate enroute?

When can you descend below MDA? (FAR 91.175)
We discussed this at great lengths and a light went on for me.
I always wondered why the approach plate mentioned the type of lighting and the runway elevation. The 100 foot rule made that make a lot more sense.

If you can only see the rabbit light but none of the above, you may descent to 100 feet above the runway elevation (NOT descend 100 more feet. Its 100 feet above the rw elevation that is noted in the top left of your approach plate)

What ICE prevention / De-ice equipment is on your plane?

FLYING PORTION

This went really fast. The entire flight was probably 40 minutes

ir.jpg

Use your Checklist. He kept giving me opportunities to use it.
“I will fly for a second while you do your pre landing checklist, After Landing Checklist, etc”

Unusual attitudes was easy but he taught me a trick.

Nose high has 2 options:
1. Add power, Level wings, Nose down
2. Steep-ish bank and let the nose come down so you don’t add negative Gs when pushing the nose down.

Partial Panel

He covered both G5s for the partial panel for a GPS approach.
I put the auto pilot on, and put it in approach mode and let it do its thing.

He asked if this partial panel situation is an emergency since the AIs were covered.
I thought it was. He said it is not an emergency but you must report it to ATC

I made 1 mistake with a crossing restriction
I was flying RNAV 36 Circle to land at KGLE at the FAF, I began to descend just as I was at the fix. He got a little irritated that I didn't wait until I had fully crossed it.

All in all, it was quick and there were no surprises. It was a difficult rating but I probably built it up it be more difficult than it really was.

Started the commercial Monday.

Last edited:
Congrats, Bryan! Nice writeup! I never went on to the commercial, but do think about it now and then.

Congrats, Bryan! Nice writeup! I never went on to the commercial, but do think about it now and then.

So far, the written looks really easy.
The flying part appears as though it will be fun.

Congratulations! I hope you have an easier time than I do staying FAA current. Six months just seems to fly by!

Congratulations again. I assume you eventually got comfortable in IMC?

Steep-ish bank and let the nose come down so you don’t add negative Gs when pushing the nose down.
That's the way I was taught.
nose high-power in-pitch level-wings level: keeps from excessive negative G in recovery
nose low-power out-wings level-pitch level: evenly loads the wings for the pullout

He asked if this partial panel situation is an emergency since the AIs were covered.
That's arguable. If you're as sharp as you should be partial panel it's NBD, but most of us aren't if we're honest. If I had a vacuum failure in the club plane, which has no backups, in hard IMC, I'd ask for priority.

In the Cirrus, if you somehow lost both G5's you'd also be without an autopilot, wouldn't you?

Congrats! I just started gathering materials to start the IR journey. Hopefully my checkride goes that easy when the time comes!

Congratulations and thanks for the write up.

Congrats! Great write up! How does it feel?

The only thing I did different was I had hand flown compass turns (I can’t remember if it was during partial panel). Was your upset recovery partial panel? I’ve heard of DPEs doing that.

I’m with you - if the plane has no standby instruments and I’m in IMC, I’ll declare. I may want a priority climb to VMC.

My favorite discussion points during my checkride were:
- where do you start your descent in a CTL (for ex is abeam the numbers appropriate?)
- when you go missed on a CTL, how do you get back onto the missed procedure? (At DPA we often get ILS10 circle either a 20 or 02 runway. Runway 2 is far from 10, so if you lose it, it’s a long way back to the missed procedure)

Congratulations! How’d you like the not-a-cirrus?

...asked me about the NW KRAFT acronym

I wouldn't have an answer for that.

Is that the IFR clearance acronym?

When can you descend below MDA? (FAR 91.175)
We discussed this at great lengths and a light went on for me.
I always wondered why the approach plate mentioned the type of lighting and the runway elevation. The 100 foot rule made that make a lot more sense.

If you can only see the rabbit light but none of the above, you may descent to 100 feet above the runway elevation (NOT descend 100 more feet. Its 100 feet above the rw elevation that is noted in the top left of your approach plate)

That is one of the biggest mysteries among "instrument qualified" pilots. Flying mostly at night and in bad weather made this a necessity for me and became a highlight of training precision approaches.

Congrats! Yes the commercial manuvers are a blast (chandells and power 180's are my fav) ! I'm preparing now for my comm checkride which in a few weeks.

Thanks for the write up. I didn’t have any gouge on EW’s IFR checkrides. Now I do.

Last edited:
So far, the written looks really easy.
The flying part appears as though it will be fun.
Flying part is hella fun. Especially learning the power off 180’s and putting the airplane where YOU want it.

Amanda from ITP made me go up in 23G32 conditions to practice this…. Was interesting to “tail slide” a 172 like the Fast and Furious cast do the sports cars.

Let me know if I can help you on any part of your prep.

I wouldn't have an answer for that.

Is that the IFR clearance acronym?

So this is where the DPE and I kinda disagree.
He was really surprised that I didn't know what NW KRAFT stood for.
It is the acronym for what you need to know before the flight
NOTAMS
Weather
Known delays
Runway Lengths
Alternates
Fuel requirements
Takeoff and Landing Distances

My issue was I knew all of that stuff and provided it for my XC prep I just didn't know the acronym.
I don't use acronyms. I use the memory palace method of memorizing things so I have no idea what tomato flames stands for but I can tell you what I need for VFR flight.

Weird that he was concerned about the acronym but oh well.

Partial Panel
He covered both G5s for the partial panel for a GPS approach.
I put the auto pilot on, and put it in approach mode and let it do its thing.

Does your autopilot rely on the G5’s? I’m surprised he didn’t bug you about that, but it’s something to know for sure.

I happen to disagree with him about partial panel being an emergency. I would not hesitate to declare if I were partial panel in IMC, because I am going to want priority handing to get to VMC or a runway. Partial panel means you are one failure away from having no idea which way is up. Even without a failure, it means that you are flying with a much higher workload than you are prepared to do for hours on end. There’s an Air Safety Institute video about a fatal crash that started with not treating partial panel as an emergency. Declared or not, partial panel is no joke.

I don't use acronyms. I use the memory palace method of memorizing things so I have no idea what tomato flames stands for but I can tell you what I need for VFR flight.

Yep. That is my point. I don't do acronyms.

I always enjoy rattling off the stuff I'm supposed to know from memory, but not in the order the examiner expects. The twisted look on their face is sooo satisfying.

I believe the lower G5 talks to the autopilot but to be honest, I am not 100% sure about that.

Top gauge above the Altimeter is the preselect unit.
I can use that (buttonology) to ascend / descent and it has a baro setting. I know it communicates to the auto pilot as well.
I can tell it to climb 500FPM to a desired altitude and it will do it. I believe separate from the G5 but I need to read up on it because I am not 100% certain.

Screenshot_5.jpg

Let's go fly your Traveler in the clouds!

That way, you can say you've done it without all that electronic junk...

Most people confuse the 100 feet above the runway with going 100 feet lower with the lights in sight because the question is almost always asked in regards to an ILS approach with 200’ minimums.

“…Use your Checklist. He kept giving me opportunities to use it.
“I will fly for a second while you do your pre landing checklist…”

This surprised me

Congrats!! And thanks for that write up. I'm going to add it to my own study guide.

Congrats on the IR…
It’s an entirely different world if you file. One of the things I hate is when ATC says “are you able to depart VFR”.
That’s obviously at your discretion, but it’s sort of like ATC demeaning your clearance.
YMMV.

Congrats...Im working through the written right now so having this info is great. Thanks

Congratulations. Now get out there and fly some IFR.

Most people confuse the 100 feet above the runway with going 100 feet lower with the lights in sight because the question is almost always asked in regards to an ILS approach with 200’ minimums.

Why I try to remember it as TDZE+100

Congratulations and thanks for the write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats, Bryan! That's the hard one. Commercial is fun (and easier), though I will say that the only time I ever made a CFI queasy was on a very hot south Texas day bumping along down low doing maneuvers for the commercial.

Congrats Bryan, all your hard work studying payed off. Nice write up.

Good write up and congratulations. I decided to get my Commercial at 58 years old because my 22 year old son was getting his. We both had our check ride (and passed) on the same day. I am really glad I did it - it was a lot of fun and I learned a lot. I found out that I did not practice emergency procedures near often enough. It was worth getting the certificate just for that.

Great job and keep up the great videos!

Congrats, Bryan! That's the hard one. Commercial is fun (and easier), though I will say that the only time I ever made a CFI queasy was on a very hot south Texas day bumping along down low doing maneuvers for the commercial.

After sweating out the IRA...Commercial is fun. Getting a handle on the maneuvers and learning how to really fly with a professional touch and make the beast do what YOU want it to do, where you want it, when you want it can't be discounted. Have fun with it. The maneuvers (and book work...now you get into real planning scenarios, weight shifting, loading problems, advanced weather, on and on...) are a hoot. But, remember...lazy 8s are not wing overs (ask me how I know).

Congrats. On to the next goal!

“…Use your Checklist. He kept giving me opportunities to use it.
“I will fly for a second while you do your pre landing checklist…”

This surprised me

During my ATP checkride the examiner took the controls so I could set up for the next approach. He told me that he would do that before we got into the plane with the reasoning that we were in DFW airspace and it can get quite busy so the next approach will come really quickly.

"Here are the approaches we are going to do"

What, no NDB approach.?? :lol:

Excellent, Congratulations! The Commercial is a lot of fun, eyes outside again.

Commercial manuevers are a ton of fun. And you get to look outside again!

Back