Mode C veil inside Class D

ksandrew

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ksandrew
Plan a trip Friday into LZE East of Atlanta an half a mile outside the Mode C veil. If I land on rwy 25 all will be fine, but if I have to depart on 25 I many not be able to turn to miss the Mode C.

I have not got AdsB Out installed yet. Would this be the crime of the century even though I would be talking to the tower. Class Delta.

I could search for three days to find the answer, Any thoughts appreciated.

Ken Andrew

I think you mean LZU but runway is 6000 feet long couldn't you just ask for a turn out prior to the mode C veil.

Simple, just like the discussion on tstorms off the end of the runway, ask for a turn out on departure.

Flew into LZU couple years ago with no mode C. I specifically requested a tight base to 25 to avoid the veil. It’s a busy field but they should be able to handle you.

I think you mean LZU but runway is 6000 feet long couldn't you just ask for a turn out prior to the mode C veil.
Yeah. I don't think you'd have trouble getting it. Tell them you need to. Looking at a map around there there doesn't seem to be any noise sensitive areas requiring straight aheads to a certain altitude. The airports website doesn't list any noise abatement procedures. It's all commercial stuff around there, don't see any schools. I can't see any issue other than traffic. Just get approval before launching.

I have gone in and out of LZU without ADSB no problem. I did my best not to clip it. I also flew in and out with a dead mode C transponder and also had no issues other then them telling me to recycle my transponder. I ended up replacing it with an adsb transponder.

Do a short field take off and keep the speed at Vx (best angle of climb - 59 KIAS) until your turn north at 1700 MSL and enjoy the flight.

Last edited:
Do the ADAPT tool. It's easy. And then you know you won't see the ramp police. Did it a few times when flying inside the veil after I bought the plane bringing it home. Then again taking it to the radio shop.

Back