Looking for Training in Grumman

Norritt

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Norritt
Hi All - interested to train in a Grumman and wondering if there is anyone near the Austin, TX area? Other options could be near Palm Desert, CA or Mexico Beach, FL. Thanks in advance! School or independent is fine :)

I think there is some place in the Houston area. Sorry; don't have any further details.

…Mexico Beach, FL…
Can’t help with a recommendation there, but spent a great year+ in that little place. I would guess Appalachicola or Panama City are the nearest accessible fields still?

https://www.goosehangar.com/multiengine-seaplane-rating

GrummanGooseN703_WaterLanding.jpg

I think your best bet is to check with the Grumman gang. Someone there will know.

Hey thanks for the feedback all - sending a note to the Grumman gang as well :)

Checkout Grummanpilots.org as well. THE official Grumman Owners and Pilots Association (GOPA).

Can’t help with a recommendation there, but spent a great year+ in that little place. I would guess Appalachicola or Panama City are the nearest accessible fields still?

Depending on when you were there Panama City may have moved (read: closed) from downtown to the middle of nowhere northwest of Panama City.

I can't think of anyone with a Grumman for rent around there, but if someone did I'd be awful happy.

Hi All - interested to train in a Grumman and wondering if there is anyone near the Austin, TX area? Other options could be near Palm Desert, CA or Mexico Beach, FL. Thanks in advance! School or independent is fine :)
What kinda Grumman? What kinda training? Are you looking for some kind of crash course with temporary quarters? Or are you looking for a new place to live?

Well, I travel between those three cities, so I can make it work if it happened to align with one. Austin, TX is home base. Sorry, I was not clear re: training. Working on my GA license and would like to train in what I am purchasing / plan to purchase. That said I might buy a 63 P172D tommorrow...so a bit all over the place :)

I instruct in a Traveler (AA5) up here in Washington state. Take a cheap flight to Seattle & we're 200 miles east.

Side note. I'm actually enjoying teaching in the airplane & the renters/student reviews have been very positive.

I bought my Grumman after training in a Cessna. The transition took about 15 minutes. I suspect most common single engine, fixed gear planes are pretty similar - there's no reason to seek out a Grumman to do your PPL.

I bought my Grumman after training in a Cessna. The transition took about 15 minutes. I suspect most common single engine, fixed gear planes are pretty similar - there's no reason to seek out a Grumman to do your PPL.

Good point / call. The dream was to combine both if it worked out.

Agreed. Once you figure the nose wheel, the rest is pretty much the same. Except for the cool factor. A Cessna cannot adequately prepare you for the Grumman cool factor. You might need to invest in a leather helmet, goggles, and a scarf.
iu

And if the Grumman is to cool for you, and you can’t get used to it, keep the canopy closed. :D

Good point / call. The dream was to combine both if it worked out.

If one trains in Cessnas or Pipers, then transitions to the AA-1/5 series, I would highly recommend transition training with someone familiar with Grummans. Where pilots get into trouble transitioning to these planes is with pilot-induced oscillations when landing too fast or nosewheel first. It is possible to learn really bad habits in a C152 or Cherokee that will get you into trouble in a Grumman. But, yeah, if you read and follow the POH they are easy to fly. Approach speeds are are faster than a C152 and MUST be nose high--no Cherokee 3-point pancake landings. I got a great 1-hour orientation ride in my AA-1A before I flew it home after purchase. That was time well spent. The prior owner, an airline pilot and CFII, really wanted me to be safe and aware before flying it away.

There was a Grumman Cheetah at the Flight School in Houston, based at KTME. It was up for sale recently, so I don't know if they still have it. It was a leaseback, so I guess it depends on who bought it.

Our club used to allow primary training in our Tiger but decided to rescind that because of the extra wear and tear the nose gear was getting. Not answering your question but just observing that it might be really difficult to find one to rent for primary training.

Buy your own if you can. You won’t regret it.

u could'a bought 6er's grumman and been done with training by now for cryin out loud.

Back