Bent her up good NA

Huckster79

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Huckster79
Installing some egress windows and needed some crushed concrete for base/backfill and such for the retaining wall. Got a dump trailer and headed to the pit. Paid for three yards- guy in the loader was feeling generous… I bet he dumped in 6! (2800lb a yard)The old 230k 5.8 Ford was working hard but it was only a few miles to home. All was fine till I was backing up the hill to the driveway!

92BEDC85-93A4-4520-88BC-37B32630A933.jpeg E3D9A8D5-EB07-40BA-9794-45381062F10C.jpeg

guess who’s buying a new hitch and receiver tomorrow… lol.

Ain't nothing a little $$$$$ won't fix ... :D

Gotta love a pushy truck!

Installing some egress windows and needed some crushed concrete for base/backfill and such for the retaining wall. Got a dump trailer and headed to the pit. Paid for three yards- guy in the loader was feeling generous… I bet he dumped in 6! (2800lb a yard)The old 230k 5.8 Ford was working hard but it was only a few miles to home. All was fine till I was backing up the hill to the driveway!

View attachment 99668 View attachment 99669

guess who’s buying a new hitch and receiver tomorrow… lol.

It looks like your Johnson rod is dragging

Without that rust, you would have been fine. Good paint on the outside, rust on the inside is a common problem in older vehicles.

Full size trucks are tough, and all modern ones are way over powered for normal duty.

Without that rust, you would have been fine. Good paint on the outside, rust on the inside is a common problem in older vehicles.

Full size trucks are tough, and all modern ones are way over powered for normal duty.

absolutely it was just weakened steel I’m sure… though it bent the new “L” shaped piece that holds the ball on the receiver and I think that’s 3/4” steel! I think 18,000lbs of gravel plus the trailer weight was just too much obviously- my guess is if the rusty Reese hasn’t bent the new 3/4 steel wouldn’t have. Good news is the 3 extra “free” yards only cost me $350 :)

But you got 3 yards of extra rock, so there is that.

That may be one of the only posts on the Internet of a trailer hitch failure not related to a bad weld. :) Glad it happened in a harmless location.

Damn man, lucky nobody got killed as you were driving that rolling death machine down the road. Useful load, weight and balance don't only apply to airplanes.

Mission accomplished! You got it home.

absolutely! And thankfully was still pretty easy to get the gravel where I needed it thanks to my brother in laws kubota.

Looks like the chasis and the rest of your truck is eaten up with rust. Maybe time for a new truck.

absolutely! And thankfully was still pretty easy to get the gravel where I needed it thanks to my brother in laws kubota.

In a pinch you could have just unbolted the trailer ball and put in on your bumper, however the bumper isn't rated as much as a properly functioning receiver hitch.

they look like that by time they are paid off in MI…

unlimited car wash pass for the win. In the winter, I'm in there at least twice a week just to get the salt off.

Damn man, lucky nobody got killed as you were driving that rolling death machine down the road. Useful load, weight and balance don't only apply to airplanes.
Don’t say that until after I get home with my daughter’s stuff next week!

Well I’m starting to think this project is cursed! I thought the truck was bad till I slipped moving an 80lb retaining wall block and sliced/smashed the tip of my right ring finger off…

101763FB-859E-4184-9B7D-0D2BE2130DE4.jpeg

Ouch. I managed to not have any critical injuries when I built my retaining wall with the 18"L retaining wall block. I recall them being around 65-70lbs each. Definitely a bunch of weight when I was towing it home. Something like 12Klbs of retaining blocks on two trailers. Had our two half ton trucks sagging pretty good.

Ouch. I managed to not have any critical injuries when I built my retaining wall with the 18"L retaining wall block. I recall them being around 65-70lbs each. Definitely a bunch of weight when I was towing it home. Something like 12Klbs of retaining blocks on two trailers. Had our two half ton trucks sagging pretty good.

Yea that’s about right. I figured in the project I might bang a finger or get a pinch- I had no clue I’d end up amputating part of one!

Back