Jeppesen is terrible

Radar Contact

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin
Wonder how many hours of my life I’ve wasted on the phone, on hold or waiting for them to resolve an issue. Renewed my service at 8am. It’s 1150 and still nothing on their portal. “They will have to get back to me.”

As expensive as they are, I would pay more to not deal with them ever again. Maybe one day Avidyne will have their own nav data, obstacle/terrain and charts.

Mini rant over.

XM is even worse. It was a happy day when I told them to pound sand. I am surprised companies would do this, given the small size of the aviation community and the prevalence of social media.

I moved my GNS-430 subscription from Jepp to Garmin. (Not that Garmin is all hunky-dory). But their database prices are SIGNIFICANTLY less than Jepp. And I can easily renew instantly online.

XM is even worse. It was a happy day when I told them to pound sand. I am surprised companies would do this, given the small size of the aviation community and the prevalence of social media.
I've had reasonably good experiences with XM when I had to deal with their aviation support people a few years ago, but I find I can usually do all my subscription-management easily online.

I've had reasonably good experiences with XM when I had to deal with their aviation support people a few years ago, but I find I can usually do all my subscription-management easily online.
Garmin responds reasonably well, until you want to cancel one of their subscription services...

I switched to Garmin. My only major complaint is their installer program works MAYBE one or twice a year for me. Most of the time I have to manually install the files to the data card.

Garmin responds reasonably well, until you want to cancel one of their subscription services...
It's been a while, but they were very flexible about shifting my Garmin Pilot subscriptions around 3–4 years ago. I've never had to try for my panel-mounted avionics.

I switched to Garmin. My only major complaint is their installer program works MAYBE one or twice a year for me. Most of the time I have to manually install the files to the data card.
It's 100% for me, using the newer data cards (standard SD ones) for the GTN series. I've never tried the data cards for the old GNS series.

Yeah Kevin, try Lido in my work airplane…. o_O FAA / DoD charts work great for my bird and everything else I’ve flown for the last 20 years.

The only benefit to the Jepp 430 subscription is that you get their charts on ForeFlight with it

It's 100% for me, using the newer data cards (standard SD ones) for the GTN series. I've never tried the data cards for the old GNS series.

Hmmm, mine is a GTN card. I’ve installed, uninstalled, installed, etc and it still is iffy. My issue is the program will not launch at all from the shortcut on the Garmin site. So I end up having to do their Plan C method.

Aviation support went away and it’s all the same off shore people that handle music and aviation now. You have to ask to speak to someone in the USA and that gets pushback too.

I stopped using them when they won’t work long term or bundle deals anymore. I used to pay for a year in advance for a better price. Not anymore.

XM hasn’t figured out that ADS B has replaced them and ADS B offers more such as Notams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe one day Avidyne will have their own nav data, obstacle/terrain and charts.

When it comes to customer service, Jeppesen::Avidyne is like frying pan::fire

I have to phone Jepp often to reset my download authorization after I goof it up. While it’s a pain that I must phone, they are unfailingly nice and supportive. It might be a slightly fouled-up operation, but they seem to care about the customer.

Not sure if Avidyne cares about customer support.

Last edited:
you mean you guys don't check your lat longs once a year and call it good? :D
#IFRonaBudget #MVFR #secondarymins

I actually didn't know avidyne doesn't publish their own nav data. Being in the garmin ecosystem I never really though about it.

The archer I learned in has a B-K GPS, which still gets updates. Maybe they outsource it?

Boeing is run by bean counters. They ruin everything.

I had never before witness such dysfunction in a company. This was years ago, but the memory is still fresh.

Boeing ruins everything they touch. It's only a matter of time before Foreflight becomes useless.

Agreed. I do find myself trying to learn Garmin Pilot now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only benefit to the Jepp 430 subscription is that you get their charts on ForeFlight with it

maybe I missed something but I thought Jep charts were $100 extra per year in FF. I gave a Jep subscription for my 430 but never seen anything about charts included.

The saga continues. Ordered online for the bundle. Never showed up. Called. They couldn’t help and would call back. Many hours later should be fixed by tomorrow. Go back the following day. They didn’t have the chart bundle there. Called and they couldn’t help till Monday. See on my bank statement they billed me for the original 774 and then again for 820 something. Still the charts aren’t right. Called, it says estimated wait time 63 minutes. Sigh…

maybe I missed something but I thought Jep charts were $100 extra per year in FF. I gave a Jep subscription for my 430 but never seen anything about charts included.

All I had to do was ask. We have 4 radios with Jepp and have 4 extra keys for charts to use with iPads/computers. There was no charge for the extra keys .

All too familiar. Jeppesen online chat had my account sorted out in about 15 minutes.

Back