Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Cowtowner
A0672/21 NOTAMR A0642/21
Q) OAKX/QAFAM/I/B/E/000/999/000
A) OAKX
B) 2108301140 C) 2109152359 EST
E) FOLLOWING NOTAM IS ISSUED ON REQUEST OF KABUL ACC.
DUE SECURITY REASON KABUL ACC IS RELEASED TO MILITARY.
NO ATS WILL BE AVBL. ACFT TRANSITING THROUGH KABUL FIR
WILL BE FLYING IN UN-CONTROLLED AIRSPACE AT THEIR OWN RISK.
CREATED: 30 Aug 2021 11:45:00
SOURCE: OPKCYMYA

FAA: Due to lack of air traffic control as well as ongoing security concerns, U.S. pilots and U.S.-registered aircraft are "prohibited from operating at any altitude over much of Afghanistan."

I wish the military would go in and blow up the equipment left behind or abandoned and what was sold to the Afghan military.

Last edited:
Is 150 supposed to be impressive? Does the administration want a cookie?

22,174 humvees
8,000 trucks (troop carriers)
634 M1117s
155 Mine-proof vehicles
162,043 two-way radios
169 M113s
42,000 pickup trucks (ford rangers etc)
16,035 sets of NVGs (night vision goggles)
64,363 heavy machine guns
126,295 pistols
176 heavy artillery guns
358,530 rifles (brand new M4s with lasers, optics, and IR beams)

This is just the ground stuff...don't even get me started on aircraft and support equipment.

But yeah, 150 pieces destroyed. Great job, gang. Stellar work...

Note: I'm not coming at YOU @Cap'n Jack, but the errors here are way too numerous to count

Edit: oh wait...we have numbers so apparently we CAN count them. #furious

Last edited:

22,174 humvees
634 M1117s
155 Mine-proof vehicles
162,043 two-way radios
169 M113s
126,295 pistols
176 heavy artillery guns

This is just the ground stuff...don't even get me started on aircraft and support equipment.

Note: I'm not coming at YOU @Cap'n Jack, but the errors here are way too numerous to count

What is that, $5-10B easy? No issues, we'll just get the taxpayers to write a bigger check...

What is that, $5-10B easy? No issues, we'll just get the taxpayers to write a bigger check...
The materiel was probably already accounted for as military "aid" to the Afghan army, no? There wouldn't have been enough U.S. personnel left in the country to go around and destroy it.

22,174 humvees
634 M1117s
155 Mine-proof vehicles
162,043 two-way radios
169 M113s
126,295 pistols
176 heavy artillery guns

Thank you for being polite about your reply. Isn't most of that stuff given to the "Afghan army" so they could use it to defend their government? Other than being a waste of our tax money, how can any of that stuff be used against us unless we go back there in the near future? All of it will require parts to keep it working, and I don't know that a black market can supply more than a small portion of that need.

[QUOTE

22,174 humvees
634 M1117s
155 Mine-proof vehicles
162,043 two-way radios
169 M113s
126,295 pistols
176 heavy artillery guns
[/QUOTE]

Out of all of that the 16,035 sets of NVG's scares me the most.

[QUOTE

22,174 humvees
634 M1117s
155 Mine-proof vehicles
162,043 two-way radios
169 M113s
126,295 pistols
176 heavy artillery guns
Out of all of that the 16,035 sets of NVG's scares me the most.

Depends on how the hummers were equipped. Many had elaborate surveillance equipment installed. My company provided some of the IR imaging gear for them.

209069-k9.JPG

no, these

22,174 humvees
634 M1117s
155 Mine-proof vehicles
162,043 two-way radios
169 M113s
126,295 pistols
176 heavy artillery guns

I'd be curious to know the stats on the equipment we abandoned in Vietnam. I'm sure it's nowhere near that much. I doubt ARVN had very much of that equipment other than small arms.

For years, you could see a fleet of Hueys painted in Vietnamese colors on the ramp at Tan Son Nhat airport in HCMC. I think they finally succumbed to maintenance attrition.

Depends on how the hummers were equipped. Many had elaborate surveillance equipment installed. My company provided some of the IR imaging gear for them.
I doubt the Talibs have the ability to use any of that unless it is really so stone simple that you needn't any training. They can drive the Humvee's, certainly. I about they're going to reverse engineer any of it, since they've pretty much killed or chased into hiding anyone with the wherewithal to do so. I suppose they could give the stuff to China, though I bet the Chinese already have the technology. My guess is all that stuff is going to slowly or quickly rot. The Talibs might build a museum for it.

I just hope they keep their promise to be a "kinder, gentler" Taliban. I'm not holding my breath, but I'll take a wait-and-see attitude.

I'd be curious to know the stats on the equipment we abandoned in Vietnam. I'm sure it's nowhere near that much. I doubt ARVN had very much of that equipment other than small arms.

For years, you could see a fleet of Hueys painted in Vietnamese colors on the ramp at Tan Son Nhat airport in HCMC. I think they finally succumbed to maintenance attrition.
Over $1B worth of US-supplied equipment lost in just two weeks in early 1975 (that's $5B in 2021 dollars):

https://www.nytimes.com/1975/03/29/...aigon-force-called-catastrophic-1billion.html

I doubt the Talibs have the ability to use any of that unless it is really so stone simple that you needn't any training. They can drive the Humvee's, certainly. I about they're going to reverse engineer any of it, since they've pretty much killed or chased into hiding anyone with the wherewithal to do so. I suppose they could give the stuff to China, though I bet the Chinese already have the technology. My guess is all that stuff is going to slowly or quickly rot. The Talibs might build a museum for it.

Don't assume that it isn't pretty simple for a user, and don't assume all the Taliban are knuckle-dragging idiots. And don't underestimate how it may let the Chinese or Russians learn to implement more effective countermeasures.

Look - I made my living designing some of this stuff. I'm concerned.

"durka durka traffic, landing durka"

sounds like a fun place to land, actually, except for the aforementioned toybox gifted to the locals who may use them for noise abatement enforcement.

Thank you for being polite about your reply. Isn't most of that stuff given to the "Afghan army" so they could use it to defend their government? Other than being a waste of our tax money, how can any of that stuff be used against us unless we go back there in the near future? All of it will require parts to keep it working, and I don't know that a black market can supply more than a small portion of that need.
The problem with the more sensitive stuff is that it will likely make it into Iranian hands and from there possibly to the Chinese or Russians. The other stuff like rifles, trucks, artillery, and other useful equipment can be turned against the resistance forming over there or can be used to supply or fund various terror organizations.

I care about the American citizens we abandoned, and the Afghan allies that trusted our people.
I was mostly speaking about equipment. I hope we can still get our people out. The Talibs seem to be in a cooperative mood, so perhaps there's hope yet.

Hopefully, they will remember what happened when they harbored people who launched an attack on U.S. soil.

Don't assume that it isn't pretty simple for a user, and don't assume all the Taliban are knuckle-dragging idiots. And don't underestimate how it may let the Chinese or Russians learn to implement more effective countermeasures.

Look - I made my living designing some of this stuff. I'm concerned.
Agree with the comments above. But I wouldn't be surprised to learn stuff "disappeared" during the past 20 years that somehow wound up in Chinese or Russian labs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back