Steak Sauce

I rarely order steak at a restaurant anymore, as I can do better at home. I also like a well seasoned and aged steak with no sauce, but I also like variety.

NY Strip, ribeye, or filet mignon are the cuts I like most. For prep I will add a decent seasoning of just salt and black pepper, or Montreal seasoning, and then let it sit on the counter on a wire rack for at least an hour, but preferably for 3 to 4 hours to develop the dry crust...let the salt do it's thing. For serving, I usually go one of 3 ways:

1. Grilled to med, let it rest in aluminum foil for about 5 to 10 minutes...no sauce.
2. Grilled to med, let it rest in aluminum foil, serve with horseradish.
3. Grilled to med. While it's grilling, sauté some sliced mushrooms. When the steak is done, add mushrooms on top with a slice of provolone. Cover in foil and let it rest. No sauce. (I would not do this to a filet mignon).

I will usually also grill wedged potatoes to go with it...they get ketchup or 57; my partner likes them with ketchup or A1.

To note, I'm not a skinny guy by any means.

No steak sauce for me, I like rare to med-rare, with two exceptions:

1 - You're at some friend of a friend's or relative's home, and they just served you a grey steak. Medium well to more miserable. At that point I'm good with sauce to compensate for lack of flavor.
2 - Cold leftover steak, right out of the fridge. I don't want to heat it up, so I'll use a little sauce.

For either of those, A-1.

Worcestershire? Use it all the time, as an add-on to cooking stuff with meat or tomato sauce in it. I'll sometimes add a little to the top of a burger.

No sauce on steak, dry rub instead. Paprika, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, turmeric, and coriander. Exception made for tenderloin, wrap that in bacon and cook it in a skillet, serve with parmesan risotto and Caesar salad.

I'm with @cowman and @eman1200 on this one . . . a properly cooked cut of meat will hold its own with me.
E, the only meat you should put ketchup on is an all-beef hot dog, or a hamburger. Glad you outgrew that phase!

Ketchup goes on meat loaf.

I really like A1. Now I like a good steak with no steak sauce on it but I'm not sure how else to get my A1 fix

Put it on a burger. That's what I do.

I concur. A1 gives burgers the flavor most of them are missing.

I can’t remember the last time I used A1 or 57 on a steak. Not since before I learned to properly cook them at home, and not insult the chef elsewhere.

Putting foo foo juice on a good piece of meat is admitting defeat.

For any substandard steak, some Korean barbecue sauce will hide the lack of yumminess.

Medium well to well done for any beef that I partake of. Been hit by food poisoning too many time over the years. I even tell the wait staff to have the cooks cut it if they aren’t sure.

As to horseradish...pure prepared in the jars with the red lids...one jar will do about 3 batches of cocktail sauce for my shrimp.

Actually just had this conversation at work a couple days ago. I was asked how I liked my steak. Well done of course. “But then it ruins the flavor.” Which I replied, “Who cares. The whole point of the meat is just to transfer the A1 to my mouth.” That didn’t go over well.

Never been into steaks or eating wings. Anything I’ve got to work that hard at to get to the meat, isn’t worth my time.

Steak sauce? Nooop! :fingerwag:

A little melted butter never hurt nothing though...

I'm with @cowman and @eman1200 on this one . . . a properly cooked cut of meat will hold its own with me.
E, the only meat you should put ketchup on is an all-beef hot dog, or a hamburger. Glad you outgrew that phase!
Mustard is for hot dogs and sausages, ketchup for burgers, nothing on steak.

Dayum right. Beastie Boys said it best - "Cheaper than a hot dog with no mustard"

Hot dog with no mustard = keep it.

Imma loose my breakfast. Just when I thought it couldn't get worse than A1 on a steak, we get guac and mayo on a burger.

try mayo on a PBJ sandwich...

What are burgers.?? Chopped steak. So why not steak sauce on a hamburger.??

What are burgers.?? Chopped steak. So why not steak sauce on a hamburger.??

I prefer KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce on a burger. Ketchup is a close second choice, then A1, but used sparingly, as it easily overwhelms the burger taste.

Horseradish might be more appropriate with some burgers.

Nauga,
with a little free rein
Oh yes, I LOVE a good horseradish sauce on a burger. I also like it on salmon too!

How many of ya take saucy like stuff with you to restaurants in case they don’t have what you need? I take a little bottle of Tobasco with me sometimes. There’s a seafood joint that I go to sometimes with great Fish n Chips that doesn’t have Cocktail Sauce. I take some with me. Before you ask, no, I don’t like Tartar sauce.

I tend to go to restaurants where I like what they serve. But that's just me.

There’s a seafood joint that I go to sometimes with great Fish n Chips that doesn’t have Cocktail Sauce. I take some with me. Before you ask, no, I don’t like Tartar sauce.

Cocktail sauce is for bad seafood, good seafood doesn't need anything. I can find no reason ever to eat tartar sauce.

Try putting it on a burger with more of your ass sauces. :D

This?

02_Donkey_Sauce_Macro.png

I like making pepper steak(the french kind) at home. This has the sauce made with the cream, brandy, cracked peppercorns, and all he deliciousness left in the pan from the steak(fillet actually). Really good stuff. I never add any bottled sauce to my steak however.

Back