Confused About Special Issuance

limaoscarlima

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dan
Backstory: I started flight training in late 2015 and applied for my medical. In late 2014 I had stopped taking SSRI medication for mild anxiety since the treatment was no longer necessary. I noted my history of anxiety and the medication, got my medical issued on the spot, and flew happily around for the next 5 years.

Come 2020, I applied for a new medical, noted again my history of anxiety - no recurrence, no new medications, treatments, etc since in 2014. I was again issued a medical but got a note from the FAA saying they were unable to determine my eligibility for a medical. They requested all the history from my doctor, etc and I provided all that info to them. I was luckily issued a Special Issuance but am now strapped with going through this process annually (currently been waiting 2 months to hear back for this year's SI).

My question is, why did the FAA just now decide I required a special issuance when it's been 6 years since I was treated for mild anxiety - and why did they seem to have no problem back in 2015 when it had been ~9 months since I was last treated for anxiety?

Also, am I in this Special Issuance loop forever now or is there any hope I can get a standard issuance back at some point?

Many thanks for any input!

If you do not fly commercially and do not need to exceed the restrictions of Basic Med, you can fly under those rules and not have to deal with the special issuance hassles. This type of case was one of the principal reasons Basic Med came about.

Jon

My question is, why did the FAA just now decide I required a special issuance when it's been 6 years since I was treated for mild anxiety - and why did they seem to have no problem back in 2015 when it had been ~9 months since I was last treated for anxiety?
More zero tolerance in 2021 than 2015.

A new guy at OKC got your paperwork this time. Consistency by the FAA is not their hallmark.

Go Basic Med if it fits your needs and forget about SI.

Cheers

Thanks for the info. BasicMed here I come. I do like to hop up into the flight levels on occasion so would love to keep my 3rd class - but the SI process every year is a PITA. Nonetheless, I'll count myself as one of the lucky ones.

If I understand one of the other threads correctly, he will have to let his current medical certificate expire before he can ditch the SI renewals. Is that correct?

Richard: Only for HIMS authorizations that name the AME. If he has one of those he must maintain all the follow up items and keep his HIMS AME “current” with the required follow ups during the term.

Is he has a regular SI he can basic at time he wants, and walk away.

I just wanted to wrap up this topic with my outcome. After waiting 4.5 months for my next special issuance, I was ecstatic to receive a full standard issuance. Quick recap:

2015: ~9 months since being treated with an SSRI. Standard 3rd class medical issued.
2020: 5 years 9 months since being treated with an SSRI. Standard 3rd class medical issued, but FAA later asked for my medical history and then switched me to special issuance.
2021: 6 years 9 months since being treated with an SSRI. FAA decided I qualified again for a standard issuance.

Still seems so weird but boy am I just glad to be out of the Special Issuance annual wait-a-thon. BasicMed kept me flying during the extra months it took to hear back.

One extra note: I called about weekly to check in on my status and normally got the standard "It's in review and will be processed in the order it was received." But, the last individual I spoke with seemed genuinely concerned that my documents hadn't received any attention in over 4 months and she said she would be "escalating this to her supervisor immediately." Not sure what she did, but I called the next week and the medical was already in the mail. So be nice to those phone operators because just maybe they do have the power to move the needle.

Thanks again to everyone for your input and safe flying!

Congrats OP. I hate looking at the empty mailbox day after day. Guess I'm building "tolerance" so I shouldn't complain. ha

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back